Pecan Patch 2016 RCGroups Photo Coverage

That's right! The Pecan Patch FPV event is in full swing with near perfect weather scheduled for the whole show. It's hot, winds are light and the sky is beautiful...

Splash

The Party's Here!

That's right! The Pecan Patch FPV event is in full swing with near perfect weather scheduled for the whole show. It's hot, winds are light and the sky is beautiful. RCGroups rolled in Thursday morning to an already large group of flight line tents and good times. We recorded our Thursday Live hangout by the pool with Mark and Judy and enjoyed a full day of flying and hanging out with the fine folks here. ReadyMadeRC has big news in the form of a Nano Skyhunter that is simply awesome!

It's always a good day at the patch and we have three more to go! Tonight will kick off rolling thunder with fireworks and general night flying mayhem. It's not too late to make it here, so get packed up and drive on down south of Atlanta to have a good time with us. For those that can't be here, I'll be pumping out photos from the event in this thread for you to enjoy. Check back daily for more new photos.

Jun 10, 2016, 01:35 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
Thanks for this first report, Jason!

The Nano Skyhunter looks great, although I'd want to add some color to that black foam. Somehow I imagine a friendly purple and pink camo pattern on there. (I see there's already a dedicated article.)

Did anybody fly FPV from that snazzy folding hammock setup? Would love to know who makes it, on the off chance you found out.
Jun 10, 2016, 01:39 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
That my hammock. I picked it up at Oshkosk years ago, they were selling there as vendors. The website on the pillows is http://www.frogonalog.com/
Jun 10, 2016, 02:10 PM
Cool! Frog on a Log it is, although not cheap at $280. Now you have a folding chair backpack to go with it, too. Hope you can test both for FPV flying (and report)!

Speaking of Oshkosh, AMA is running a promotion offering a discount for new EAA memberships. Might be worth mentioning or even doing a piece about it.
Jun 10, 2016, 02:26 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Nice. I did fly from the hammock yesterday and it was nice and relaxing. I'll look at the AMA thing next week when I get settled back in the normal routine after the show. Thanks.
Jun 11, 2016, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Nice. I did fly from the hammock yesterday and it was nice and relaxing. I'll look at the AMA thing next week when I get settled back in the normal routine after the show. Thanks.
Sounds like I may have to give hammock FPV flying a try myself.

I think EAA is worth mentioning on RCG because it's one of the few full-scale aviation organizations that is about the joy of flying (and building!), and is not beholden to commercial aviation interests that often conflict with model aviation. So RCG, AMA, and EAA are all on the same page. (Speaking of which, AOPA has apparently been trying to attract commercial UAS operators.)

Thanks for the additional pictures, too! Looks like there was one more cool hammock. Found the triple charger setup (with triple power supply) interesting. Did the Chevy Volt owner charge LiPos from the car's battery? Poor Nano Skyhunter had a rough Day 2.

Good to see some DLG action as well. Makes me wonder whether anybody's tried DLG FPV. I imagine it would be hard without your "seat of the pants" to feel lift like in a full-scale glider. But maybe with a variometer (via telemetry)? Free flight FPV might be fun, too, for a passenger ride.
Jun 12, 2016, 03:36 PM
Eschew obfuscation
I WON A RUBBER BAND!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=9079575
Jun 12, 2016, 06:40 PM
Outlaw
I think that's a VW engine repair kit.....
Jun 14, 2016, 01:04 PM
One with the machine
Great photos Jason!
Glad you could make it.
Jun 16, 2016, 10:03 AM
Crazy Canuck
Had a lot of fun there meet really nice people and their Southern Hospitality was at it's best. Thank you Jason for a great deal on the Ranger EX .It is the perfect FPV plane and the equipment that I was looking for (I am just starting out in the FPV world)
Cyrus was the first person on the raffle draw and he got a Dragon link V3 (he won a Dragon link V2 last year) so when we got back he gave me the V2 (brand new never installed it so in it goes for the Ranger. ReadymadeRC guys were super fantastic, got to fly the Nano Sky Hunter loved it and will be buying that next month. Bought a Readymade Rc 900MHz- 1.3 GHz audio/video rx Thanks you guys.
See ya all next year.
Pictures are super great . I won a BIG T-Shirt yes. Missed the group photo but I will be back next year for sure.
Again thanks to everyone there who made this a great time and to the owner of the Pecan Patch too for his kindness to use his place, (good old Southern Hospitality at it's best).
Jun 16, 2016, 07:05 PM
Manager Escape and Evasion
Great coverage, Jason. Everybody had a great time. Weather was hot, but clear and basically calm. The night flying was outa sight. Don't know who provided the Nano I won, but if you're reading this, thank you for your support. Got a ton of flights on it already. Can't wait to fly it inside the conference room at work. RC Groups rock!

Quick Reply