This thread is privately moderated by Jacques.Eloff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 10, 2016, 04:35 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Quadplane VTOL Conversion for Quanum Observer

Here is a short build log showing the work required to convert my Quanum Observer to VTOL Quadplane. The mods are done in such a way that the Quadplane can be reverted to pure fixed wing in around 10mins for ultra long duration flight (+-80mins on 15AH packs) and when a landing strip is available.

Total weight added for Quadplane is 1,320g but only 270g of this is permanent (ie. fixed items such as carbon spars in the wings, mounting lugs, wiring in the wings, glue, etc). Total all-up weight in Quadplane mode is around 4,800g (including camera).

Specs as follows:
Frame size 1070mm (measured diagonal)
T-Motor MT4006 740KV
T-Motor Air 40A ESC
T-Motor carbon props 14 x 4.8
4S 10,000mAh
Pixhawk flight controller, running firmware version 3.6.0 with Quadplane support.

Amp draw at hover is 40A, giving me around 12 mins hover time incl 20% safety margin on the lipos. Still need to do more testing to find out what the duration is with typical VTOL flight profile (I'm guessing around 45mins on 10Ah packs).
Last edited by Jacques.Eloff; Jun 16, 2016 at 06:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2016, 11:07 AM
Waste Nothing
Jacques :

Oh how I love seeing this posting ! Your techniques used for this wing build looks suspiciously like the ones I used last year on a V22 Osprey project . (see my blog) Your project also has alement of one that I tried with a n Ugly Stick wing . (another blog post) I like what you did with the motor connector wiring and the inlaying within the wing itself .

Has this one flown yet ? I am very curious as to how you got around the problem of having the negative lift of a downward attack angle whilst in forward flight . As you may know , MRs usually have a forward pitch to them in flight . Having the wing as a part of the MR places it in a downward pitch as well . They counter act themselves as I found out . And more forward speed just makes this effect more pronounced . Great pix mate !
Latest blog entry: RIX : V22 Osprey Rebuild
Jul 09, 2016, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R
Jacques :

Oh how I love seeing this posting ! Your techniques used for this wing build looks suspiciously like the ones I used last year on a V22 Osprey project . (see my blog) Your project also has alement of one that I tried with a n Ugly Stick wing . (another blog post) I like what you did with the motor connector wiring and the inlaying within the wing itself .

Has this one flown yet ? I am very curious as to how you got around the problem of having the negative lift of a downward attack angle whilst in forward flight . As you may know , MRs usually have a forward pitch to them in flight . Having the wing as a part of the MR places it in a downward pitch as well . They counter act themselves as I found out . And more forward speed just makes this effect more pronounced . Great pix mate !
Apologies for late reply. This is an SLT-type VTOL - ie. it has a forward motor so there's no need to pitch the nose down for forward movement. Transition is butter smooth. I'll get some video up shortly.
Jul 11, 2016, 09:06 AM
Thread OP

Demo Video

Here's a little demo video with some VTOL flight. This thing is a real blast to fly!
(3 min 42 sec)
Jul 14, 2016, 11:50 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Hi Jacques,

Great conversion and video! I added a link to your conversion on my thread here.
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Jan 07, 2017, 07:51 AM
Hi Jacques.Eloff

I'm in the process of mounting the quadplane. I am looking at all the possible options to do my own assembly. In the photos I do not see it, Where do you hide the ESC? Are they underneath the carbon fiber plates?

Thanks for sharing your great work, you were who pushed me into this project when I saw your video. You and Greg Covey are the best, thx
Jan 08, 2017, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Hi, if you look in the eigth photo very carefully, you will see them at the wing centre, where they are mounted vertically on some square balsa "sticks". They actually sit inside the fuselage when the wing is mounted. Also have a look at the video in post #4 and go to 50 secs time mark, where you can see the "sticks" Hope that makes sense. I did drill some cooling holes in the sides of the fuselage and also put a small PC fan in there to keep some airflow over them.

Doing it this way does not mess with the aerodynamics of the wing and the ESC's can be removed in a minute. The alternative location is to mount them in recesses on the underside of the wing but that's more messy and will leave some gaping holes if removed.

Hope this helps!
Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrUnTuS
Hi Jacques.Eloff

I'm in the process of mounting the quadplane. I am looking at all the possible options to do my own assembly. In the photos I do not see it, Where do you hide the ESC? Are they underneath the carbon fiber plates?

Thanks for sharing your great work, you were who pushed me into this project when I saw your video. You and Greg Covey are the best, thx
Last edited by Jacques.Eloff; Jan 10, 2017 at 07:05 AM.
Jan 08, 2017, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Eloff
Hi, if you look in the eighth photo very carefully, you will see them at the wing centre, where they are mounted vertically on some square balsa "sticks". They actually sit inside the fuselage when the wing is mounted. Also have a look at the video in post #4 and go to 50 secs time mark, where you can see the "sticks" Hope that makes sense. I did drill some cooling holes in the sides of the fusealge and also put a small PC fan in there to keep some airflow over them.

Doing it this way does not mess with the aerodynamics of the wing and the ESC's can be removed in a minute. The alternative location is to mount them in recesses on the underside of the wing but that's more messy and will leave some gaping holes if removed.

Hope this helps!
Jacques
Thank you, it helps a lot, I did not see them.

I found it strange underneath the carbon fiber plate so I did not breathe.

My idea is to make a system similar to yours but with square tubes. I already have the pieces designed, to print with 3D printer. When I go a little further I will show it.

Thx mate

Quick Reply