Jun 09, 2016, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Help!

push mower wont start

hello everyone i am having a problem with my push mower it just wont start it has spark ive cleaned the carb twice and it has compression it hasn't been started in years oh and it has new gas and oil. I just keep pulling and pulling on that starter cord and not even a hint of starting i think im gonna go crazy. its a 3.5 hp briggs and stratton
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2016, 12:34 AM
If it ran fine before sitting then the carb is probably still plugged. I usually run wire through the ports to be sure they are clear. If it runs on starting fluid then the carb is the most likely issue.
I have had the fuel line plug up on old engines from rot.
Jun 10, 2016, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob
If it ran fine before sitting then the carb is probably still plugged. I usually run wire through the ports to be sure they are clear. If it runs on starting fluid then the carb is the most likely issue.
I have had the fuel line plug up on old engines from rot.
it wont even run with starter fluid
Jun 12, 2016, 04:12 PM
That is a tough one.
At that point I look closely at the spark plug and its wire. If the wire is cut and shorting out it can appear to have spark when removed, yet shorted out when installed.
Jun 14, 2016, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob
That is a tough one.
At that point I look closely at the spark plug and its wire. If the wire is cut and shorting out it can appear to have spark when removed, yet shorted out when installed.
how would i tell if thats the case. the wire seems to be fine
Jun 14, 2016, 12:14 PM

muffler clogged?

Maybe try removing the muffler and see if it will start.

It can't hurt and should be easy if you've kept it inside while

not using it. You say you have fuel and spark but maybe the

air cant get through.

Good luck
Jun 15, 2016, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsully993
how would i tell if thats the case. the wire seems to be fine
Look for cracks in the plugs ceramic. I usually put in a new plug to see if it works. For the wire I look for splits where it is near metal. I also check to see it the wire end of the sparkplug is tight. The threaded part under the connector sometimes gets loose. It can work if the pressure is just right and stop when just the wire is hanging off it.
Jul 08, 2017, 11:08 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Without a history it is hard to say. If it quit running all of a sudden after striking the blade against something, then the obvious answer is that it broke the key that keeps the flywheel in the right place.

The fly wheel also controls the timing. Repair is easy, Remove the tin cover. Remove the bolt that holds the flywheel to the crankshaft. Remove with puller or even several screwdriver and a little lateral persuasion with a mallet. Pick out both halves of the broken key and put a new one in.
Go mow it is a foot high by now.
Last edited by basicguy; Jul 09, 2017 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply