Jun 09, 2016, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

First flights today, Yes!!!!

After a long drawn out process of ordering a plane that is lost in the mail, so in the mean time I ordered a Sport Cub S only to find my Tx won't bind with it so I then ordered a DX6 and finally,,, I had my maiden flight! It was a blast, the beginner mode on the Sport Cub S is exactly what I need right now and the DX6 is awesome as well! The wind started picking up and the plane would just keep climbing so I wold cut power and just soar! After getting scared I may lose the plane, I started practicing take offs and landings. I had some good landings but also some bad ones and one light "crash" into the high grass! All in all I had a great time I just have to figure out how to set my trim.

I was taking lessons for my sport pilot license but back surgery put that on the back burner, this hobby is almost as fun as that!!!

Well thanks for listening
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2016, 03:11 PM
That is great news. You did well to buy the DX6 and program it to go with your HZ SCS. Both are wonderful choices.

Starting out can be a little scary. If in the air Altitude is your friend. If landing, tall grass is pretty friendly too.

When I started out I took off of pavement, and flew about 100 feet and landed in grass. No turns...nothing fancy....just up and down. Then went baby steps from there. A little higher...A little farther...A Zig Zag...A turn (to learn to coordinate rudder and elevator) and land. Making a circle then land. and so forth. Worked for me.

And I progressed thru SAFE in this way.

1. Beginner in low rates
2. Beginner in high rates
3. Intermediate in Low rates
4 Intermediate in High rates
5. Advanced in Low Rates
5. Advanced in High Rates.
Jun 09, 2016, 03:45 PM
yank and bank!!
Congrats..... this hobby is great!!
Jun 09, 2016, 07:09 PM
Closed Account
Good plane good flight good time good luck Welcome to the hobby it is a lot of fun flying rc. Keep tell us how its going and put up a few pictures for us all to see.
Jun 09, 2016, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tips, encouragement and humor! This hobby has come a long way since the seventies and eighties and I am glad, I don't have the patients or money to build a plane that would be destroyed on the first flight!!!
Jun 09, 2016, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the hobby and congrats on your successful first flights!

I think you've done well choosing the DX6 and Sport Cub S. Only advice is to limit your flights to near windless conditions for awhile until you have mastered controls.

Best of luck and have fun!

Mike
Jun 09, 2016, 11:36 PM
Welcome and congrats! Tomorrow I go for my 3rd flying lesson with a local instructor. Enjoying the hobby immensely. I have the DX6i but, once I've got the hang of things and get turned loose on my own, I intend to upgrade to the DX6. Stay safe, fly straight and stay charged! TW
Jun 10, 2016, 03:38 AM
Retired
One hella lot of fun, good job. Time your flights and stay away from any trees.
Jun 10, 2016, 05:05 AM
Congratulation!
I can only reinforce the advice to fly such a light plane in as calm conditions as possible.
The reason is that wind (and particularly the turbulence) makes the plane do strange things. At your stage of experience you wont know what is causing it - you or the wind.
In really calm condition the flying experience is very different as you will quickly find out
a) The plane does do exactly what you tell it to and behaves just like the text books says.
b) Things happen more slowly so you have time to set the controls so the plane can be flown 'hands off'
c) You can explore the flight envelope a bit (down to the stall?) safe in knowledge that when it does (or tries to) something odd you know why it happened rather the situation being complicated by external conditions.

Remember the saying "It takes practise to fly well and it takes just as much practise to keep flying well".

Quick Reply