Jun 10, 2016, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
Yes, the TX HH is supplying is a low power model.
Very limited distance.
One of their worse TX IMO.
This is a shame, DXe looked nice.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2016, 06:07 PM
Crap!......now I need to find more money! I wonder how this will go over? I've already bought five planes in the last two months! This one looks like a dandy! I could do without all the foofara though!
Jun 10, 2016, 08:47 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
The Fail Safe is to first activate the Holding Pattern "The aircraft will return to the initialization point/location and begin to fl y a circular pattern at an altitude of approximately 65 ft (20m). " until it re-establishes radio connection.

"If radio connection is not regained after 30 seconds, the aircraft will land near the initialization point/location."

So if I understand this correctly, anyone using the RTF Tx should not have any fly-away as the plane will return without radio signal (barring strong winds, obstacles & thermals).

Interesting use of words "will land near the initialization point." I usually initialize the gyro either in the car, on a table under the tree or under a pavilion. Much testing will have to be done & reported on to confirm the terms used. Will it return to the point of gyro initialization or gyro activation. For now only the designer knows.

Auto Land also uses the words "near your initialization point/location"

The Manual has a picture of the landing strip when discussing "initialization point/location". Don't know of anyone that "initializes" their gyro on the center of the runway.

Barring a HH representative chiming in on the forum with authoritative knowledge, maybe I'll wait to see how all this sorts out.

Jun 10, 2016, 09:30 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers

The Manual has a picture of the landing strip when discussing "initialization point/location". Don't know of anyone that "initializes" their gyro on the center of the runway.
That's how it works with the Sportsman S+

here's a bunch of vids, it was recently upgraded to a version 2 that is less "involved" to set up (last vid in the post)...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...57&postcount=1

EDIT
nevermind, I see HH has an entire Champ S+ series on their YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Horizon...roducts/videos
Last edited by North_of_49; Jun 11, 2016 at 10:48 PM.
Jun 10, 2016, 11:16 PM
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
Will it return to the point of gyro initialization or gyro activation. For now only the designer knows.
With the Sportsman it gets a GPS lock when the battery is plugged in, the plane placed upright and then left still for a while.

The landing settings all kick in when you throttle up (to 90% as I recall).

So, you can put the battery in anywhere where the plane can get a GPS lock (which is possible in my back room/'hanger') then you can take the plane somewhere else, hold it still and throttle up. Then you can take it somewhere else again and take off and it will have already set its autoland location to where you throttled up for the first time.

This has interesting consequences if you test the motor in your house before stepping out to the 'runway'. Which is what I did.
Jun 10, 2016, 11:20 PM
I wonder how many watts this plane will have. With the ESC and RX combined. The plane is just over 100 grams and needs about 25 - 30 watts to fly well.

So would pull 2.5 Amps with 7.4 volts. It needs way more power than the Sport Cub S.
Jun 10, 2016, 11:27 PM
It's not even comparable to the SCS, though. 2S brushless UMX J-3 Cub, UMX Carbon Cub would be a better comparison in terms of weight vs. power train. Throw in size as well if you remove the UMX CC from the comparison.
Jun 11, 2016, 06:57 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu
It has a GPS unit, so it could measure direction and ground speed as it flew in a circle. That's enough info to estimate the wind's direction and speed, but I'm not sure it actually does this. If not at this time, I'm sure the that feature will come out before long.
In fact, it does somehow sense the wind! Directly from the manual ...

The aircraft will instantly respond and begin an upwind landing approach to return to the initialization point/location. The aircraft will land into the wind near your initialization point/location and come to a complete stop.
Jun 11, 2016, 07:46 AM
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad
In fact, it does somehow sense the wind! Directly from the manual ...

The aircraft will instantly respond and begin an upwind landing approach to return to the initialization point/location. The aircraft will land into the wind near your initialization point/location and come to a complete stop.
I would not trust the manual here - it could mean 'the aircraft will land in the same direction in which it took off which is assumed to be into the wind'.

I don't know and I would believe whatever I am authoritively and explicitly told but there's a few things in my Sportsman S+ manual that are a little misleading.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic. I am told I have the tendency to quibble over exact meaning when it doesn't really matter.

It would be good if Horizon would clarify this point.
Jun 11, 2016, 09:13 AM
If you want in CUB yellow, put the electronic in a J3 Cub.
Jun 11, 2016, 12:46 PM
Perhaps I missed it in the manual. The special RED switch on the RTF transmiiter. How do you set up a DX6, 7, 8, 9 and 18 for that RED SWITCH feature?

Thanks

Alan
Jun 11, 2016, 01:28 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Quote:
Perhaps I missed it in the manual. The special RED switch on the RTF transmiiter. How do you set up a DX6, 7, 8, 9 and 18 for that RED SWITCH feature?
You use the Bind Button, switch "I".
Gary
Jun 11, 2016, 01:30 PM
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3CAL

Thanks

Alan
Hey Alan,

Go to the manual - the bottom of page 5, the section dealing with the DX6 (and DX9, DX10t and DX18) - steps 3, 4 and 5. You will end up with the 'RED SWITCH feature' (panic button) on the BIND (or I) button. Make sure you reverse AUX 1 or pnic will be permanently on.
Jun 11, 2016, 01:50 PM
Champ was my first plane......My skills are a tad better now.......Even with the bells and whistles that i do not need I am going to get this plane for the nostalgia of owning a Champ again......Going to set it up and try to 3D it like this LOL
06 2215 Yak 39"55 Easy Flying (4 min 3 sec)
Jun 11, 2016, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyme
I would not trust the manual here - it could mean 'the aircraft will land in the same direction in which it took off which is assumed to be into the wind'.

I believe that's likely what it means.

(in which case, you can still trust the manual )

Quick Reply