Nov 04, 2016, 01:46 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Hi, I forgot to ask the one question that has been bugging me: can the VF be re-programmed or is the distance pre-set from the factory? I ask because the only thing that has a VF is my Traxxas Aton quad and I dislike it , but on that quad you can set any distance you want and i have set it far enough that I will never breach the boundaries.
So what about this airplane?
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
Nope! You can't change the VF settings. Not only that. I am sure you can easily abort RTL on your multirotor just switching to any other flight mode. Not the case with the champ:to disengage it, you have to switch mode 5 times while holding the AP/AP button. Even if you remembered the sequence, you would have lost the plane by then...
IMHO you do not really need VF anyway. If you feel the plane went too far and you are having troubles to get it back, jist hit the AP bitton and it will head back to where you armed it.
It happened to me once, and boy it's a great feeling, believe me...

Stefano
Nov 04, 2016, 09:20 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernavideo
Nope! You can't change the VF settings. Not only that. I am sure you can easily abort RTL on your multirotor just switching to any other flight mode. Not the case with the champ:to disengage it, you have to switch mode 5 times while holding the AP/AP button. Even if you remembered the sequence, you would have lost the plane by then...
IMHO you do not really need VF anyway. If you feel the plane went too far and you are having troubles to get it back, jist hit the AP bitton and it will head back to where you armed it.
It happened to me once, and boy it's a great feeling, believe me...

Stefano
Thank you very much!! Still debating whether I should get it or not.
Nov 04, 2016, 11:04 AM
The main reason I did buy it was to have something small enaugh to fly in a park, both los and fpv (I still go to a local club with my bigger planes)
So far the champ is fulfilling its first goal with full flags, but I am in the market for a good 2s 5.8 ghz tx+cam combo small enaugh for the champ. If anyone is aware of such a product, I am all hears...
Cheers, Stefano
Nov 04, 2016, 11:46 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
I have the Sport Cub S and I love the slow fly ability but not happy with the brushed motor's short span of serviceable life span. I am now debating between this and the yet to be released Cessna 182. I also don't have a big place to fly and I am also partial to tail dragger landing gear as opposed to the tricycle one on the 182.
I only fly LOS, sorry I haven't the knowledge of what you are seeking. 😳

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Nov 04, 2016, 01:17 PM
The champ is not the scs and does not fly as slow, but still a lot slower then the cessna, looking at the wingload difference. We will know more when it comes out I supppse.

I do have a (now broken) scs and I would say that the champ is the natural progression from a beginner point of view. You will find the beginner mode on the champ very annoying. It is in a way an easier mode then the scs beginner mode, with the trottle governing the altitude in an innatural way, but that should encourage you to use intermediate and advance modes only.
A cool feature of the champ intermediate mode is that below 4 or 5 meters it switches to autolevel
Cool, not?
Cheers, Stefano
Nov 04, 2016, 05:12 PM

Champ S+ Wonkiness

After about 50 successful flights, almost all in indoor mode, my Champ stopped responding to the transmitter half way through a flight and crashed somewhat badly onto a hard surface. After the crash, there was no elevator response, and giving elevator commands resulted in a slight bit of right rudder, regardless of whether up or down elevator had been commanded. I thought that HH might be interested in examining the wreck, as there had been similar reports of erratic behavior from others. I obtained a repair authorization and sent the remains back to HH. The tech called me and politely informed me that the warranty was only for manufacturing defects and that any such surely would have shown up long before 50 flights. A repair would not be cost effective. HH would sell me a new Champ S+ for relatively low money and free shipping. I took him up on the offer, as I really like the plane when it is not acting wonky with a mind of its own and no response to my tx. It will be interesting to see if the behavior reasserts itself in a new plane.
Nov 04, 2016, 08:30 PM
Just finished flying a battery through mine.
Indoor mode slow flight I love it.
Maybe I thought it was so slow because of the height.
Nice and relaxing after a day working.
Looked forward to it all day.
May get another tomorrow after work.
Winter winds and rain coming get it while I can.
Besides with one heart attack already I want all the air time I can get.
Nov 05, 2016, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Crandall
Just finished flying a battery through mine.
Indoor mode slow flight I love it.
Maybe I thought it was so slow because of the height.
Nice and relaxing after a day working.
Looked forward to it all day.
May get another tomorrow after work.
Winter winds and rain coming get it while I can.
Besides with one heart attack already I want all the air time I can get.
I'm still working too. Nothing clears the mind of all that other clutter like working on a new trick or technique in the air. Enjoy!
Nov 05, 2016, 12:15 PM
Can't really do thalt many tricks with the champ. I can'r get it 2 mistakes high as it's too small to see (for my eyes) and does not hold inverted very well. I might have to increase elevetor trow

Stefano
Nov 05, 2016, 12:22 PM
Simon
My Sport Cub S flies inverted more easily. The Champ S+ does everything else (that I can do) more easily. I avoided the use of 'better' - they are both a delight and have different charms.
Nov 06, 2016, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyme
My Sport Cub S flies inverted more easily. , .
I know!!
And I don't understand why is the case. The champ is more powerful, .
Cheers, Stefano
Nov 06, 2016, 06:01 AM
Simon
Maybe it has something to with the CofG and how it shifts in relation to the wing?

The Champ is heavier and appears to have a relatively higher/deeper fuselage.

Maybe the Champ finds it easier to 'fall' back to upright because more mass is pulling from a greater relative height giving the the plane the tendency to roll back?

This is just a guess - I'm not aerodynamic expert for sure!
Nov 07, 2016, 04:20 AM
Ehmmm...I was checking the set up I created for the champ and I realised I had set the elevator trow only 25% for both high and low rates...what's wrong with me?

I have also ordered a new 200 mw AIO cam +tx, the eachine Tx02 and a lighweigth step down converter. I will let you guys how it performs on the champ

Cheers, Stefano
Nov 07, 2016, 10:36 AM
FA34HM3YC7
I thought about programming D/R and expo but it's already done by virtue of the three skill levels.

Quick Reply