Jun 10, 2016, 01:05 AM
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca11AC
I wish they had spent just a little more time doing the decals on this one. The windows aren't scale and the orange trim on the belly is too shallow and too short. And the foam at the front could use some finishing. The micro Champ actually is more scale and less toy like. Like the ailerons and larger size, but the lack of scale detailing is a bit of a turn off for me.
I agree Aeronca11AC - I am looking forward to getting my hands on this Champ S+ but I do prefer the look of my standard Champ - I really like the colour (the reason I bought it in my ignorance - lucky I didn't find any orange warbirds, I would have bought and crashed one of them in a heartbeat!).

I think of my standard Champ as a happy little bee, buzzing chirpily around my park.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2016, 02:05 AM
This looks very promising. After reading the manual it appears to be a smaller version of the Sportsman S+ So I suspect the features (SAFE, Geo-fence, Auto-land, etc....) should perform the same as they do on that plane.

If this had been available when I bought my SCS I would have bought this instead because of the brushless motor and slightly larger size.

I noticed in the manual you can disable the GPS for indoor use. So there is no reason someone could not disable the GPS for outdoor use if they do not want the GPS feature.

Someone, don't remember who, was asking about wind direction. My take on that is it remembers the direction you took off in and when using auto-landing it lands the plane in the same direction you took of in. I think that how the Sportsman S+ also works.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to flight reports once folks get their hands on the Champ S+

Jon...
Jun 10, 2016, 02:25 AM
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX
If this had been available when I bought my SCS I would have bought this instead because of the brushless motor and slightly larger size.
Me too - well, maybe the second SCS I bought - I didn't have a clue when I bought the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX
Someone, don't remember who, was asking about wind direction. My take on that is it remembers the direction you took off in and when using auto-landing it lands the plane in the same direction you took of in. I think that how the Sportsman S+ also works.
It was me. I also have the Sportsman S+ but I'm too nervous to fly it after my first experiences with it. I wanted to understand how this plane (Champ S+) worked and I am guessing it is the same as the SPortsman S+.

It has been suggested that the equipment on board the plane really can figure out the wind direction - something about the way it wiggles its tail in the wind as it flies in a circle.

I will get one of these and I will be confident messing with it and experimenting with the GPS features. I feel I will be more comfortable doing this with the Champ S+ than I would with the Sportsman S+ due to the size difference.
Jun 10, 2016, 07:38 AM
As I read the manual, the virtual fence and auto land functions can be turned off. I don't know, but I imagine the virtual fence diameter can be changed too.
Looks like it would be a plane where the manual will need to be kept close at hand or maybe a preflight check list made up.
Jun 10, 2016, 08:30 AM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Have to give it to HH for reading the tea leafs. Introducing all this technology into a micro is the first steps in trying it out in anticipation of new FAA rules. I am surprised the virtual fence does not include a an altitude fence to limit it to 400 feet AGL. During certain times of year, it is very easy to fly these planes over 400 feet AGL without knowing - this will come.

Also would like to see the ability to update the software on the ESC as they fine tune the features.

Did not see anything in the manual about the telemetry data it will be transmitting.

Jun 10, 2016, 08:33 AM
Simon
The size of the virtual fence for the Sportsman is fixed as I understand it. Being able to edit the size would be a real bonus. In my park the plane would be out of the park, down the road and over the graveyard in one direction before it hit the fence. There's only one direction in which it would still be in the park (only just). The Champ S+ looks like it has a smaller area inside the fence and there doesn't seem to be a virtual airfield mode.
Jun 10, 2016, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I like it, but I really wish it was available without the GPS stuff. I really have no interest in that at all and I don't want to pay for things I don't use...
+1.

I hope the original Champ will still stay in production as well! It is such a great flying plane for beginners, and still very enjoyable for someone with more experience.
Jun 10, 2016, 01:50 PM
For the guys getting the RTF version please pay attention that the included Tx will have the similar limited range as per the UMX Sport Cub RTF

See page 9 of the manual:
Virtual Fence OFF
(Not recommended when using RTF Transmitter due to range limitation.)
Jun 10, 2016, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRCQ
For the guys getting the RTF version please pay attention that the included Tx will have the similar limited range as per the UMX Sport Cub RTF

Virtual Fence OFF
Yes, the TX HH is supplying is a low power model.
Very limited distance.
One of their worse TX IMO.
Jun 10, 2016, 02:16 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRCQ
Virtual Fence OFF
Is that really the first place it is mentioned???? No, I haven't read the manual, yet.

Wow! That would lead to complaints (with HH and in this or a similar thread) after some first maidens .....

Wish they had made the GPS optional (as with FPV) and included a DXe in the RTF package.
Jun 10, 2016, 02:29 PM
First I read about the plane it was supposed to have a DXe, slightly watered down version.
Now it looks like they dropped that one.
Jun 10, 2016, 02:39 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
...new FAA rules. I am surprised the virtual fence does not include a an altitude fence to limit it to 400 feet AGL.
Horizon products are not just sold in the U.S. (bound by U.S. rules)
Jun 10, 2016, 02:50 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Horizon products are not just sold in the U.S. (bound by U.S. rules)
They sell Tx for use in the USA Only & foreign models due to Tx rule power limitations, so no excuse. They can easily put it in, so what, leave it de-activated & let those that wish to fly to far away lands activate it.

Jun 10, 2016, 03:36 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
They sell Tx for use in the USA Only & foreign models due to Tx rule power limitations, so no excuse. They can easily put it in, so what, leave it de-activated & let those that wish to fly to far away lands activate it.

The U.S. Tx's are not sold in just the U.S.

... just sayin'
Jun 10, 2016, 05:38 PM
Last edited by benz11; Jun 10, 2016 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply