Aug 10, 2016, 10:01 AM
Master Deg. of "In Training"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaturbo
I would be interested to know if this battery will fit The champ S+ myself.
Here's a Zippy 20c 350mah in the compartment. I stood it up to show that its the exact length as the opening so there's still room for the wires. The 15mm height/depth is max and still close the cover without any mod of removing foam. This battery has no velcro on it and would need to be put on the side to work.

Now to test and see if I can get the CG balanced and if the battery is going to run hot.
Last edited by twco; Aug 10, 2016 at 10:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2016, 10:13 AM
Master Deg. of "In Training"
Hey Ken, did you try a GPS calibration to see if that would fix it? I myself have a small area to fly and haven't put this bird thru a full test yet. Hope to go out and do just that as soon as I can.
Aug 10, 2016, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaturbo
I would be interested to know if this battery will fit The champ S+ myself.

I'm still waiting for my champ to arrive.
They are not due here for another week or so.

Jason.
Jason, yes this battery fits the Champ S+. It has room to attach the Velcro also.
Aug 10, 2016, 10:22 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Those of you experiencing virtual fence problems should do a compass calibration! Also make sure GPS lock is achieved in the center of the flying area. The site where GPS lock occurs is the center of the virtual fence and the site for autoland.
Gary
Aug 10, 2016, 11:05 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
What mode was he flying in? I saw a couple REALLY steep bank angles!
In the first few seconds of his flight, that tight left turn was not his doing. I believe one of the ailerons was stuck and he was fighting hard to correct it. You'll hear the aileron 'jerk' back to neutral in the earlier video I posted.

We had the TX set to "Expert" mode, or switch position 2 the entire flight. He's a good pilot so we wanted to see how the plane would react to our input, not the "Auto Pilot" feature (which we'll probably never use).

-Lee
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Aug 10, 2016, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarSmythe
Can AS3X be disabled on the Champ S+? I've read that it can not but similar planes allow you to program the rates down to zero. Advice?
The SAFE planes are not programmable. Only the "AS3X only" planes like the
J3 Cub are programmable including switch AS3X on/off with the TX.
Aug 10, 2016, 12:11 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli
The SAFE planes are not programmable. Only the "AS3X only" planes like the
J3 Cub are programmable including switch AS3X on/off with the TX.
Thanks for the information.

I grabbed the E-Flite RC J3 Cub UMX manual and did NOT find a reference on disabling the AS3X. Can you share that procedure?
Last edited by YarSmythe; Aug 10, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Aug 10, 2016, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twco
Hey Ken, did you try a GPS calibration to see if that would fix it? I myself have a small area to fly and haven't put this bird thru a full test yet. Hope to go out and do just that as soon as I can.
No, I haven't had a chance to do that. I only flew two flights. The first with full GPS/Virtual fence features enabled and that one seemed to think the virtual fence was much closer than 450 feet! And I did launch the plane about 25 feet from where it acquired the GPS lock after powering it up.

Second flight was in "Indoor Mode", or GPS off and it flew as expected.

I'll try the recalibration exercise next time out. I suspect it may be somewhat out of calibration since it doesn't measure the distance traveled very accurately. Will report back here after I do that.

Ken
Aug 10, 2016, 01:28 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flight-Ken
I'll try the recalibration exercise next time out. I suspect it may be somewhat out of calibration since it doesn't measure the distance traveled very accurately. Will report back here after I do that. Ken
Ken - I feel like I'm in the same boat as you.

I called HH today and told them about our aileron issue (on the video). His first thought might be a stuck aileron servo but he said it could have been a GPS Virtual Fence issue. Suggested we calibrate it and try again. He also said there is no way to deactivate AS3X..."at this time". Hmmm...maybe they're getting enough calls from owners to get a DISABLE option included!

We'll continue to fly in EXPERT & INDOOR mode to see if we run into any more trouble.

Love the teamwork here on RCG!

-Lee
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Aug 10, 2016, 04:31 PM
Quote:

I grabbed the E-Flite RC J3 Cub UMX manual and did NOT find a reference on disabling the AS3X. Can you share that procedure?
You must set the "Switch Gyro via CH5" value to "1" with the programming software.
You can read more about programming in this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2140166&page=1
Aug 10, 2016, 05:07 PM
Had my new champ s for several days and getting ready to hopefully maiden it tomorrow.
In checking my ailerons I was very pleased to discover they have built in differential ailerons i.e. the ailerons go up more then down - that should help with adverse aileron yaw (less rudder needed).
Aug 10, 2016, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot
Here are the settings. I confirmed they work by flying the plane over 4 batts. I tested beginner, intermediate & advanced mode as well as HP. I did not test AL but expect it to work.

Set Dual Rates to: HIGH 100% LOW 70%
1. Go to the SETUP LIST MENU
2. Set MODELTYPE: ACRO
3. Set REVERSE: Gear Channel
4. Go to ADJUST LIST MENU
5. Set TRAVEL ADJ: Gear/Fmode (0) +100%; Gear/Fmode (1) -23% FLAPS: (0) +0%; (1) -100%
6. Set FLAPS: NORM -40%; LAND -40%
7. Set MIX 1: ACT; Gear -> Gear ACT, RATE D 0%; U + 125%, SW FLAP, TRIM INH
8. Set MIX 2: ACT; Flap -> Flap ACT, RATE D +125%; U 0%, SW MIX, TRIM INH

Resulting in:
The Gear and Flap switches operate the 3 SAFE modes
Gear 0; Flap 0 = Beginner Mode
Gear 1; Flap 0 = Intermediate Mode
Gear 1; Flap 1 = Experienced Mode
The Mix switch operates AL/HP
Position 0, AL/HP off,
Momentarily in Position 1, HP on.
Hold in Position 1 for 4 seconds, AL on

Happy Flying
Awesome - thanks for this webfoot! Will save some time. For your negative Vs positive values - that just correlates to down Vs up respectively, ya?

Thanks!
Aug 11, 2016, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrodes
Awesome - thanks for this webfoot! Will save some time. For your negative Vs positive values - that just correlates to down Vs up respectively, ya?

Thanks!
You are welcome Schrodes. Yes negative is down and positive up. I don't know how to represent the arrows on this website/forum.
Aug 11, 2016, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Webfoot... cottage cheese container plastic and foam glue! And maybe a paper template to get the angles where they need to be. When I got the angles where I wanted them I just scored the plastic and bent it over. Rough up the glue side of the plastic real good with sandpaper.
Thanks OhBee. Made and installed them today .
Aug 11, 2016, 07:09 AM
Quote:

Check out the following thread.
I've done it and it works in my UMX T28 with an AS3X receiver.

AS3X Advanced Prorgamming & Settings

Quick Reply