Thread Tools
Aug 19, 2019, 06:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Yeah, Mark, I’ve had mine for about 10-months now. I STILL Love it!!!
Glad to hear it.

Yeah, it is a neat plane and am a bit confused why HH stopped selling them.

I am selling mine because it is just too windy around here, and my 1500mm Conscendo Advanced handles the wind a lot better.

I can't complain; it has served me well and been a lot of fun on those occasions when I wake up early enough to get to the field before the wind picks up.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 06:16 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMark
Glad to hear it.

Yeah, it is a neat plane and am a bit confused why HH stopped selling them.

I am selling mine because it is just too windy around here, and my 1500mm Conscendo Advanced handles the wind a lot better.

I can't complain; it has served me well and been a lot of fun on those occasions when I wake up early enough to get to the field before the wind picks up.
I know what you mean. I used to wake up @0430L, just to drive 5-miles to a nearby community college parking lot to fly with the most optimum, low-wind conditions, before it became illegal to fly within 5 miles of a Class Delta Airport.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 19, 2019 at 08:18 PM.
Aug 19, 2019, 09:18 PM
AeroDan
My MLP6DSM is starting to become unreliable now. Is the binding and “indoor mode” procedure the same with the Spektrum DXe?
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 19, 2019 at 09:35 PM.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
My MLP6DSM is starting to become unreliable now. Is the binding and “indoor mode” procedure the same with the Spektrum DXe?
I don't have a DXE (I have a DX6E) and the binding is the same for all the different modes. So if you want indoor mode or if you want GPS, you would do the same thing.

I also have an old DX5E Transmitter and it is the same thing.

Do you fly mostly indoors?

What do you mean exactly when you say that your transmitter is becoming unreliable?

You know those transmitters are short range. They only have a range of about 400 feet or so.

The DXE and my older DX5E are long range transmitters and work fine with the Champ S+.

Do you have more than one plane? Or do you have just the Champ S+

Neither one is particularly good if you have more than one airplane you want to fly with it. The DX5E has sliders / switches that you MIGHT need to flip around.

The DXE has the ability to change different settings for different planes but you have to use either a smart phone or a PC to change the settings in the transmitter. And you have to pay an additional $17 for the programming cable.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:52 PM
AeroDan
I have an “Apprentice RTF” (59”) and the “CHAMP S+ BNF”. That MLP6DSM came with the UMX T-28 S, and that plane gave up the ghost on me over a year ago. I used to have an Ares RC Taylorcraft 130 RTF, which has been discontinued for 2-3 years now. Other than that possible UMX PT-17, if I can help it, NO MORE brushed-power for me. The “indoor-mode” setting will keep the Champ S+ from flying off to Anchorage or Key West all on it’s own, if flown out of the range of that MLP6DSM. I think I’m flying this out of the range of the MLP6DSM, and the servos are freezing up. Hit the red panic-button, control is regained, and my heart is beating again.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 20, 2019 at 12:03 AM.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:46 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
I have an “Apprentice RTF” (59”) and the “CHAMP S+ BNF”. That MLP6DSM came with the UMX T-28 S, and that plane gave up the ghost on me over a year ago. I used to have an Ares RC Taylorcraft 130 RTF, which has been discontinued for 2-3 years now. Other than that possible UMX PT-17, if I can help it, NO MORE brushed-power for me. The “indoor-mode” setting will keep the Champ S+ from flying off to Anchorage or Key West all on it’s own, if flown out of the range of that MLP6DSM. I think I’m flying this out of the range of the MLP6DSM, and the servos are freezing up. Hit the red panic-button, control is regained, and my heart is beating again.
OK, well turning off the GPS functionality will turn off the virtual fence, and turn off the holding pattern and the auto land features as far as I know.

The transmitter range of the MLP6DSM is pretty short though. That is why the Champ S+ had the virtual fence: so that you don't fly out of range of the MLP6DSM. If you go more than 450 feet away it is supposed to return to you (as long as you have GPS enabled).

I am not 100% sure what will happen if the Champ S+ flies out of range of the MLP6DSM if you have disabled GPS. I think that after 1 second it would automatically reduce the throttle and add some rudder to descend slowly in a circle, but I am not sure.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:27 AM
AeroDan
So that’s the purpose of “Virtual Fence”!!! They don’t explain that @HH or in the manual. OK. I need to chuck that MLP6DSM, ASAP. This Champ S+ is my 1st brushless.. At first, I couldn’t believe how cool this motor ran, compared to brushed-motors.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 20, 2019 at 12:02 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 07:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
So that’s the purpose of “Virtual Fence”!!! They don’t explain that @HH or in the manual. OK. I need to chuck that MLP6DSM, ASAP. This Champ S+ is my 1st brushless.. At first, I couldn’t believe how cool this motor ran, compared to brushed-motors.
Yeah, that's why they have the virtual fence. They know the range of the MLP6DSM is pretty short and they just don't want it to lose a connection.

I know that you wanted to turn OFF the GPS functions in the Champ S+ because you don't want it flying away to some exotic land. However, you can turn the GPS on and then test it by taking it up about 50 feet or so and by flying it away from you about 50 feet or so and then hit the "Panic" button once. It should initiate holding pattern and fly toward you and then circle about 60 feet above you.

If for some reason it flies AWAY from you, then you should be able to hit the panic button one more time and that will take it out of Holding Pattern.

At least that is one way to test to make sure it has found the right coordinates for your launch site.

One more thing that I didn't see in the manual is that when you are about ready to take off, before you give ANY throttle, hold the Champ S+ in the direction you want it to go when landing (usually in to the wind) [EDIT] And give it FULL THROTTLE momentarily. Then go ahead and launch.

The GPS system will remember the direction it was pointing when you gave it full throttle. Then if you hit the auto land function it will set itself up to fly in the direction you want it to when landing.

This video explains it better than I can:

https://youtu.be/F_GuHXZN1h8?t=222
Last edited by JustMark; Aug 20, 2019 at 08:56 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:29 PM
AeroDan
Thanks, Mark. I’ll “experiment-cautiously” with this, and see what happens.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:47 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMark

One more thing that I didn't see in the manual is that when you are about ready to take off, before you give ANY throttle, hold the Champ S+ in the direction you want it to go when landing (usually in to the wind). Then if you hit the auto land function it will set itself up to fly in the direction you want it to when landing.

This video explains it better than I can:

https://youtu.be/F_GuHXZN1h8?t=222
I think you have to run it up to full throttle and back to idle, (at least that is what I do) rather than hitting the autoland button to set the direction of auto landing.

I fairly regularly lose radio contact with the plane. For some reason the throttle is the first to go, and sometimes its only the throttle. It becomes only semi or non responsive. The next stage it tends to go to higher throttle on its own, final stage, the other controls don't work. I've had this happen numerous times when flying nearly overhead in particular.

I do the panicked radio dance, pointing the transmitter this way and that way, and it usually doesn't work. Then I engage the return to home, and then eventually I get control back.

This often happens under 300ft distance, and this I know because I know a tree at my field is 400 ft away, and I'm nowhere near it yet.

Beware and be careful using that factory low power radio. My Blade Nano has it too, and it can lose control from as little as 40 ft away.
Last edited by consumer61; Aug 20, 2019 at 08:53 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:55 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
I think you have to run it up to full throttle and back to idle, (at least that is what I do) rather than hitting the autoland button to set the direction of auto landing.

I fairly regularly lose radio contact with the plane. For some reason the throttle is the first to go, and sometimes its only the throttle. It becomes only semi or non responsive. The next stage it tends to go to higher throttle on its own, final stage, the other controls don't work. I've had this happen numerous times when flying nearly overhead in particular.

I do the panicked radio dance, pointing the transmitter this way and that way, and it usually doesn't work. Then I engage the return to home, and then eventually I get control back.

This often happens under 300ft distance, and this I know because I know a tree at my field is 400 ft away, and I'm nowhere near it yet.



Beware and be careful using that factory low power radio. My Blade Nano has it too, and it can lose control from as little as 40 ft away.
Yes, you are correct. I mistyped and left off the part about hitting full throttle. Will see if I can edit it. Thanks.

Are you using the RTF transmitter with your Champ S+ (the black MLP6DSM Bat transmitter)???

When I tried using it, I would often lose connection at what I estimated to be approximately 250 feet away (although it is hard to estimate when the plane is 50 to 100 feet in the air.

I haven't had any problems with it when using my DX6E or even my analog DX5E transmitters.
Last edited by JustMark; Aug 20, 2019 at 09:01 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:14 PM
AeroDan
All these issues might be the reason HH discontinued it. It’s a nice little plane, though.
Aug 22, 2019, 12:38 AM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMark
Are you using the RTF transmitter with your Champ S+ (the black MLP6DSM Bat transmitter)???

When I tried using it, I would often lose connection at what I estimated to be approximately 250 feet away (although it is hard to estimate when the plane is 50 to 100 feet in the air.

I haven't had any problems with it when using my DX6E or even my analog DX5E transmitters.
Yes the MLP6DSM. Blade Nano uses the same one, and my buddy has had issues as close as 40 feet. Interestingly, its worse the more overhead you are - range is shorter just like the throttle on my Champ S.

I agree on the roughly 250ft number. I will sometimes get total loss at about that distance. Hit RTH until I can get control back.

The shorter range signal loss is only partial as described above - erratic throttle.

Doesn't give a whole lot of confidence in the bird, which for a trainer, isn't exactly ideal. Last thing you want to worry about when learning.

Only reason I'm using it is because I fly Mode 1, (and this transmitter is Mode 2) and there are a nephew and brother in law that want to learn on it, (no point teaching anybody Mode 1).

So I'm essentially teaching myself Mode 2 after an awful lot of years of Mode 1, so I can fly it and teach them Mode 2.

I have an older DX6i (Mode 1) but it has no 3 position switches. This has been an aggravation before so I recently bought a new DX6. Haven't converted it to Mode 1 yet though, but glad to hear when I get around to it, it will likely work well with the Champ. Then I can just switch back and forth between the Mode 1 and 2 transmitters.
Last edited by consumer61; Aug 22, 2019 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Aug 28, 2019, 08:45 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Recently hit a goal post in a soccer field and broke the fuselage open. I could see the tiny antenna was oriented parallel to the fuselage. I bent the antenna so it was vertical. Since then, no more glitches on the low power MLP6DSM. Those having control issues might want to check out their receiver antennas and re-orient them...

The Cub S really isn't in the same league as the 2s Champs, so what is being marketed as the replacement for this plane? They must be nearly ready to discontinue it...
Last edited by consumer61; Aug 30, 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Aug 29, 2019, 12:33 AM
Registered User
I went from the Champ + to the UMX Timber. Easy step in skill and much better flyer.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools