Jun 09, 2019, 12:55 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
Opening it up is your best option. It's really not hard to do, and is necessary from time to time on any UMX plane. Good luck.
Yeah, agreed its not hard (been flying for 50+ years), but any chance of "free" parts or "goodwill" on behalf of the local hobby store will almost certainly go out the window if I tamper with it...that's my fear in this case.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 06:45 PM
Had to open mine up before I ever flew it! One of the control rod ends broke trying to adjust the rudder!
Jun 10, 2019, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
Yeah, agreed its not hard (been flying for 50+ years), but any chance of "free" parts or "goodwill" on behalf of the local hobby store will almost certainly go out the window if I tamper with it...that's my fear in this case.
Well, phoned the hobby store, and they had no problem to my surprise if I opened it up.

So cut one side open, snuck a finger in and rolled the gears, and rudder worked right away, but elevator was a bit more stubborn. Now the only issue is that even though I cycled the servos a bunch, they are back to not working again, so got to open it back up again. Got to find a way to keep them working...

Sounds like I've been really lucky as I've never had trouble like this from a linear servo before.
Jun 11, 2019, 05:53 AM
I have had good luck too but I have seen many folks praise deoxit for solving the problem. I have considered just buying some as a preventative measure, but just keep stretching my luck.
Jun 11, 2019, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelspangler
I have had good luck too but I have seen many folks praise deoxit for solving the problem. I have considered just buying some as a preventative measure, but just keep stretching my luck.
Not familiar with that product so I googled, and basically it's electrical contact cleaner. Already have some of that under a different brand name. Since you can't see exactly where to spray, (and the receiver is incorporated into a single unit with the 2 servos), so I guess I could just spray some cleaner on there since it evaporates dry and is supposed to be electrically safe.

I really wish I could tell where the actual pot is. I just see an electric motor and a threaded rod. I suspect its upside down under the black spot of silicone.
Jun 11, 2019, 11:03 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Consumer61,

The pot strip is under the horn carriage run.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jun 12, 2019, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
Consumer61,

The pot strip is under the horn carriage run.
Thank you. So I assume all I can do is spray some contact cleaner on the threaded rod and hope some gets down to the pot strip under it. I like to clean with a q-tip put that isn't going to work in this case lol.

Aha, found this searching the forums. Makes sense now. Here is the thread in case anybody else is interested.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...pplying-deoxit
Last edited by consumer61; Jun 12, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply