Thread Tools
Jun 09, 2019, 12:55 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
Opening it up is your best option. It's really not hard to do, and is necessary from time to time on any UMX plane. Good luck.
Yeah, agreed its not hard (been flying for 50+ years), but any chance of "free" parts or "goodwill" on behalf of the local hobby store will almost certainly go out the window if I tamper with it...that's my fear in this case.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 06:45 PM
Registered User
Had to open mine up before I ever flew it! One of the control rod ends broke trying to adjust the rudder!
Jun 10, 2019, 09:37 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
Yeah, agreed its not hard (been flying for 50+ years), but any chance of "free" parts or "goodwill" on behalf of the local hobby store will almost certainly go out the window if I tamper with it...that's my fear in this case.
Well, phoned the hobby store, and they had no problem to my surprise if I opened it up.

So cut one side open, snuck a finger in and rolled the gears, and rudder worked right away, but elevator was a bit more stubborn. Now the only issue is that even though I cycled the servos a bunch, they are back to not working again, so got to open it back up again. Got to find a way to keep them working...

Sounds like I've been really lucky as I've never had trouble like this from a linear servo before.
Jun 11, 2019, 05:53 AM
Registered User
I have had good luck too but I have seen many folks praise deoxit for solving the problem. I have considered just buying some as a preventative measure, but just keep stretching my luck.
Jun 11, 2019, 10:45 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelspangler
I have had good luck too but I have seen many folks praise deoxit for solving the problem. I have considered just buying some as a preventative measure, but just keep stretching my luck.
Not familiar with that product so I googled, and basically it's electrical contact cleaner. Already have some of that under a different brand name. Since you can't see exactly where to spray, (and the receiver is incorporated into a single unit with the 2 servos), so I guess I could just spray some cleaner on there since it evaporates dry and is supposed to be electrically safe.

I really wish I could tell where the actual pot is. I just see an electric motor and a threaded rod. I suspect its upside down under the black spot of silicone.
Jun 11, 2019, 11:03 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Cubcrazy's Avatar
Consumer61,

The pot strip is under the horn carriage run.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jun 12, 2019, 12:03 AM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
Consumer61,

The pot strip is under the horn carriage run.
Thank you. So I assume all I can do is spray some contact cleaner on the threaded rod and hope some gets down to the pot strip under it. I like to clean with a q-tip put that isn't going to work in this case lol.

Aha, found this searching the forums. Makes sense now. Here is the thread in case anybody else is interested.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...pplying-deoxit
Last edited by consumer61; Jun 12, 2019 at 12:08 AM.
Jul 24, 2019, 11:52 PM
Registered User

ESC Brake / Prop Brake?


Is there any way to set the ESC to Brake the Prop when throttle is off???

It would be nice to have the prop not windmill around when just trying to glide.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 25, 2019, 07:25 PM
Registered User
I think it looks better coming in with the prop "windmilling"! Mine usually has some power on even when landing .....just in case!
Jul 25, 2019, 09:58 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
I think it looks better coming in with the prop "windmilling"! Mine usually has some power on even when landing .....just in case!
Yes, but it makes it harder to catch thermals with the prop windmilling
Aug 19, 2019, 02:57 PM
Registered User
GeoffS's Avatar

Prop. adapter/motor wrench


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEFlyer
I like when someone has a good idea like that.
I struggled for a long time trying to get the prop screwed back on.
By holding the prop adapter with a small needle nose pliers I was able to finally get it on tight.
I just made a little 3D printed wrench to keep the motor from turning when you're replacing the prop-adapter:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...adapter-wrench

Name: IMG_8169_1500.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 1.17 MB
Description:
Aug 19, 2019, 03:58 PM
AeroDan
I’ve adjusted the elevator push-rod just a smidge (about 2-3 mm), to keep from climbing @1/2 throttle, while in “beginner” mode. From what I understand, the AS3X Rx doesn’t get along with digital trim adjustments.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 19, 2019 at 04:28 PM.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
I’ve adjusted the elevator push-rod just a smidge (about 2-3 mm), to keep from climbing @1/2 throttle, while in “beginner” mode. From what I understand, the AS3X Rx doesn’t get along no with digital trim adjustments.
Glad to hear you are still flying your Champ S+.

Yes, digital trim adjustments are to be avoided in planes that have AS3X or SAFE in the receiver.

But as you noted, doing the trim adjustments mechanically at the clevis should be fine.

I found mine to be a bit tail heavy too and mine tends to climb at half throttle as well. I ended up just taping a nickel or two to the front.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:28 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMark
Glad to hear you are still flying your Champ S+.

Yes, digital trim adjustments are to be avoided in planes that have AS3X or SAFE in the receiver.

But as you noted, doing the trim adjustments mechanically at the clevis should be fine.

I found mine to be a bit tail heavy too and mine tends to climb at half throttle as well. I ended up just taping a nickel or two to the front.
That works too. I saw a YouTube video on gluing 2 pieces of 3/16th split-shot on the forward end of the LiPo cavity in the UMX PT-17. Problem with that one is itís brushed-powered, and NOT wind-friendly.
Aug 19, 2019, 05:56 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMark
Glad to hear you are still flying your Champ S+.

Yes, digital trim adjustments are to be avoided in planes that have AS3X or SAFE in the receiver.

But as you noted, doing the trim adjustments mechanically at the clevis should be fine.

I found mine to be a bit tail heavy too and mine tends to climb at half throttle as well. I ended up just taping a nickel or two to the front.
Yeah, Mark, Iíve had mine for about 10-months now. I STILL Love it!!!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools