Apr 18, 2019, 09:24 PM
My Champ seems to have it's good day and it's bad days. For a while often it doesn't respond to aileron control like it used to and is almost hard to bank and turn even with the SAFE turned off.

Yesterday after flying it and not having as much fun as I wanted I switched sticks between the rudder and aileron and today I tried flying it like a 3 channel plane.

The thing flew great today! Had lots of fun with just rudder and elevator bank and yank flying.
I have always liked 3 channel planes and still fly them a lot and now this one is fun again.

And rolling it with the ailerons seems for some reason to work better with the sticks switched.

I'm sure this doesn't make any sense to the majority of flyers but it seems to work for me right now.

I have a UMX T-28 and a PT-17 that I can have a great time with flying in normal mode and would never change them but with the Champ S this change worked for me...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2019, 04:41 PM
Why are your rudder and aileron setup differently in the first place? Just seems a bit odd.
Apr 26, 2019, 11:42 AM
AeroDan
Ever since I activated “indoor-mode”, I’m able to fly higher AND faster then before. My “1st Brushless”, and I LOVE IT.
Apr 27, 2019, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Ever since I activated “indoor-mode”, I’m able to fly higher AND faster then before. My “1st Brushless”, and I LOVE IT.
You can achieve the same result by turning off Virtual Fence, that way you still have the RTH functionality should you lose signal, one advantage of using Indoor mode however, is that you get much quicker initialisation
May 18, 2019, 05:33 PM
I've bought one of these to get my son into flying, but the first flight was already horrible. In normal flying distance, whenever I had the sticks in neutral, it powered up the motor and turned right. A straight, normal flight wasn't possible. I got it down well in high grass, but when I reached it to pick it up, the motor was still trying to run even though I had throttled down. It was so hot that the motor mount became soft. Now, the motor or the controller is dead.

Btw, this was already the second one - the first one failed to bind. And both of them needed the rudders to be adjusted. This was definitely my laste attempt at Horizon Hobby SAFE stuff. I already had a Sukhoi with a failing receiver...
May 18, 2019, 07:35 PM
It's A Great Time To Be Flying
This is not something you can take out of the box and fly. The technology requires that you read and fully understand the manual before you do anything. What you describe is the auto land feature that you tried to circumvent. Don't blame the plane or HH or SAFE for your failure to know what the plane will do.
May 19, 2019, 11:33 PM
Nothing but perfect flights with mine since it came out of the box ....two years ago! BUT....the first thing I did was turn off the GPS! This plane fly's so easily you don't need all that other crap anyway! Too bad we couldn't have gotten it without it in the first place. Nice to have/had a brushless 2s Aeronca with some size to it! I love flying mine!
Jun 03, 2019, 10:10 AM
Is the Champ S+ similar in flying speed and area required for a beginner similar to UMX Sport Cub S?
Jun 05, 2019, 06:58 PM
Pretty much....I fly both of those in the same tree and bush infested area! The wind won't affect the Champ as much,and it will go much faster if desired! Still floats around pretty slow if you want....up to a point!
Jun 08, 2019, 11:00 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatsek
Is the Champ S+ similar in flying speed and area required for a beginner similar to UMX Sport Cub S?
I had the Sport Cub and actually never took it out of the box, and returned it for the Champ. Just gaining bigger batteries, a few more learner features and a bit bigger made it the better choice to hopefully teach my nephew to fly.
Jun 08, 2019, 11:04 PM
After buying the Champ S 1.5 years ago, I've left it in a corner of the den until my nephew got old enough to decide he wanted to learn, and the weather finally showed signs of improvement.

So I get the box out today, (first nice weather of the year) and let it go through it's setup, and ailerons and throttle work fine, but there are no rudder or elevator control - they just don't move, and don't make a sound.

Tried re-binding. No change.

Tried going outside so to be sure gps would get a signal - no change.

So now I'm stuck with a new in box model that I've had for 1.5 years, that appears to have a failed receiver. Seems very weird that the two opposite channels don't work. This is the full RTF version, so I can't even test the transmitter to diagnose if the issue is the transmitter , receiver, or what.

Unless anybody else has had this experience? I searched the thread but couldn't really find anything similar. Any help would be appreciated. This long after purchase I can't expect the LHS or Horizon to be much help.
Last edited by consumer61; Jun 08, 2019 at 11:09 PM.
Jun 09, 2019, 05:47 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
I have had UMX planes where a servo will freeze after sitting for a long time. What you need to do is split the fuselage to gain access to the servos (brick). With power off, turn the larger wheels on the servos a few turns so that they move off of current position. When you power up again, they should seek center and operate normally. It is a good idea to put a drop of Deoxit on the servo pots to ensure proper operation into the future. Hope that helps.

-CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
After buying the Champ S 1.5 years ago, I've left it in a corner of the den until my nephew got old enough to decide he wanted to learn, and the weather finally showed signs of improvement.
So I get the box out today, (first nice weather of the year) and let it go through it's setup, and ailerons and throttle work fine, but there are no rudder or elevator control - they just don't move, and don't make a sound.
Tried re-binding. No change.
Tried going outside so to be sure gps would get a signal - no change.
So now I'm stuck with a new in box model that I've had for 1.5 years, that appears to have a failed receiver. Seems very weird that the two opposite channels don't work. This is the full RTF version, so I can't even test the transmitter to diagnose if the issue is the transmitter , receiver, or what.
Unless anybody else has had this experience? I searched the thread but couldn't really find anything similar. Any help would be appreciated. This long after purchase I can't expect the LHS or Horizon to be much help.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jun 09, 2019, 08:53 AM
Quote:
This is the full RTF version, so I can't even test the transmitter to diagnose if the issue is the transmitter , receiver, or what.
You could bind to any other Spektrum transmitter for testing, if you have one.
Jun 09, 2019, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbs
You could bind to any other Spektrum transmitter for testing, if you have one.
Thanks - tried this, same result - ailerons and throttle work, no rudder and elevator. Tried wiggling and pushing and pulling on rudder and elevator linkage in the hope it would loosen something up, but no luck.

Not really eager to open it up - then they can definitely say I've messed with it. I guess trying the local hobby store is last resort.
Jun 09, 2019, 11:18 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Thanks - tried this, same result - ailerons and throttle work, no rudder and elevator. Tried wiggling and pushing and pulling on rudder and elevator linkage in the hope it would loosen something up, but no luck.

Not really eager to open it up - then they can definitely say I've messed with it. I guess trying the local hobby store is last resort.
Opening it up is your best option. It's really not hard to do, and is necessary from time to time on any UMX plane. Good luck.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop

Quick Reply