Jun 08, 2016, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
Question

Mode 1 vs Mode 2. Any argument for lefties going mode 1? (quad copt)

USA here/
I'm at the point to get my wallet wet on a decent radio, is there any bias towards using a mode 1 flight controller vs 2 for a left handed flyer?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2016, 08:31 PM
S.A.D. member
Whatever feels better to YOU.

Myself? My mind gets screwed with anything other than mode 2. I can't even use a single stick (yaw/rudder on a knob on top of the control stick).

Ivan
Jun 08, 2016, 10:05 PM
Mode 4 is a mirror mode 1
Either setup, separates roll and pitch
That said, having the two on same gimbal, is, to me much more handy.
Try mode 2 then mode 4.
The throttle remains on left hand gimbal, which means no mechanical changes required.
The good part is the only difference is a swap of roll and yaw.
A very easy transition for many
Jun 09, 2016, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Mode 4 is a mirror mode 1
Either setup, separates roll and pitch
That said, having the two on same gimbal, is, to me much more handy.
Try mode 2 then mode 4.
The throttle remains on left hand gimbal, which means no mechanical changes required.
The good part is the only difference is a swap of roll and yaw.
A very easy transition for many

What really shocks me is that modern TX's simply aren't configurable and assignable to any manner in which you wish?
Or are they?!
I'm left hand/eye dominant, whereas most of the populous is righty, I don't want to make a substantial purchase before I know I'm getting something I can actually use.
Jun 09, 2016, 08:29 AM
Spektrum radios are. We support the 4 modes. My son is a lefty - he flies Mode 2 just fine, but if it were a problem we would have gone with Mode 3. (Mode 3 is a mirror image of Mode 2).

Andy
Jun 09, 2016, 08:37 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_SPECTRE
What really shocks me is that modern TX's simply aren't configurable and assignable to any manner in which you wish?
Or are they?!

. . .
Many are. Just one example - any transmitter which uses OpenTX or Er9X (and its variations for different transmitters) can be set to any of the 4 modes.

Ivan
Jun 09, 2016, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Or are they?!
I'm left hand/eye dominant, whereas most of the populous is righty, I don't want to make a substantial purchase before I know I'm getting something I can actually use.
Many radios do allow one to assign channels to the desired input. The problem is that it's not possible to turn the centering spring on/off and one needs to get inside the transmitter to change said spring from one to the other. It's a simple process with some transmitters and an involved project with others. If you can tell us which radios you are looking at someone will come along and let you know how easy it is to switch between modes 1 and 2.

Cheers!
Jun 09, 2016, 08:49 AM
S.A.D. member
The Taranis or example has the centering spring and friction plates on both gimbals - it's a matter of turning screws (after removing the transmitter back cover) to engage/disengage the centering levers and friction plates. It is the same with the Aurora 9X, Airtronics (Sanwa) SD-10G(S), Futaba 12Z, 14MZ, 18MZ and 18SZ.

Ivan
Jun 09, 2016, 08:55 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
USA here/
I'm at the point to get my wallet wet on a decent radio, is there any bias towards using a mode 1 flight controller vs 2 for a left handed flyer?
Mode 1 is 'correct'

Why?

When two stick radios appeared they all had throttle on the right. There weren't any 'modes'. and everyone, right or left handed, was happy.

Then some idiot decided to put the throttle on the left. Idiot? Yes. Now we have both confusion and 'factions'.

So, as it was different from everyone else, 'modes' had to be invented and obviously the original way (throttle on the right) became mode 1.

They DID think about it at the beginning, which is why they put the throttle on the right, with aileron.
It's obvious - the primary controls are elevator and aileron. So they separated them. Now, with mode 2, you have a 'redundant hand' as throttle and rudder are not used so much. And doing straight slow rolls is harder with mode 2 - you can't put the right stick over to the rate of roll you want and forget it.
Nor can you move the left stick in a simple circle as you go 0-90-180-270-0 to keep straight and level though the slow roll.

Mode 2 more like real planes? It's a nonsense. I've been flying rc models for 50 years and real planes for 40. There is no connection whatsoever. And modellers don't have a 'feature on the horizon' to look at as they perform manoeuvres, particularly rolls.

Note: If you feel strongly about this (which you obviously don't as you would not have asked if you did) then buy a radio where you can easily swap modes yourself. Both in the software and engaging/disengaging the throttle ratchet without having to physically move parts and preferably without even taking the back off. (Mine has little holes in the back behind each stick. You engage/disengage the ratchet/centering spring with a small allen key poked in the hole.
Last edited by Mark Powell; Jun 09, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
Jun 09, 2016, 09:02 AM
Quote:
It's obvious - the primary controls are elevator and aileron. So they separated them.
Mode 2 is 'correct.'

The primary controls are elevator and aileron. So they put them on the same stick, so with one hand all primary functions can be performed and you can remain in control of your aircraft with only one hand on the sticks.

Andy
Jun 09, 2016, 09:42 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Powell
When two stick radios appeared they all had throttle on the right. There weren't any 'modes'. and everyone, right or left handed, was happy.
All 2-stick 2-channel transmitters I've seen in my youth had the throttle on the left stick, ground models included. That is the left stick moved forward and back, the right stick moved left and right. That includes all reed, GG and later proportional units. The primary control has always been steering which is usually done with the right hand which is the dominant one for the prevailing right handed population on this planet.

Ivan
Jun 09, 2016, 09:48 AM
Mode 4 - worth consideration - - It's Mode 1 for southpaws
NO re springing req'd If you have a mode 2 tx just swap ail and rudder
Why is mode 4 not more popular ? On the Airware radios you just select mode 4 THAT'S IT!
If you like it - or don't like it - just switch Mode selection.
-- it is a practical setup - the original Mode 1 was just a carryover from the old non analog switchboxes from days of yore.
Heard ALL the baseless arguments for 50 years ---
those aluminum cans are only good for displaying on a shelf .
Jun 09, 2016, 09:50 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Mode 2 is 'correct.'

The primary controls are elevator and aileron. So they put them on the same stick, so with one hand all primary functions can be performed and you can remain in control of your aircraft with only one hand on the sticks.

Andy
Nonsense. If mode 2 was 'correct' they would have done that at the beginning and they didn't

See my comment on slow rolls for example.

And also my comment on 'factions'

BTW: I'm now flying some planes left handed single stick just as a fun experiment. There is a quite good UK conversion kit available for any regular stick and it can be put back to 'normal' at any time.
So I set my Mpx 'Royal Evo' transmitter to mode 3 from its usual mode 1, unsoldered the wires to the now redundant right-hand rudder pot and put them on the three axis gimbal. I made a blanking plate so the right hand stick (now throttle only) can only move up and down and left the rarely used rudder trim where it was. (Stick calibration is very simple and quick on the Mpx transmitter).
For my normal mode 1 usage I now use the old Pro Line which I converted to 2.4 using an Mpx internal module. Very simple - even the Pro Line plug to the RF unit fitted the Mpx module socket. The Pro Line is too 'rare and valuable' (particularly in the UK where, unlike the others, they were never imported) to mess with the stick units
Last edited by Mark Powell; Jun 09, 2016 at 09:56 AM.
Jun 09, 2016, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Nonsense. If mode 2 was 'correct' they would have done that at the beginning and they didn't
By WW1 it was already standard. Those planes which were configured otherwise were prone to crash.

Even Spitfires have roll and pitch on the same stick (albeit with a loop instead of a stick to hold).

Andy
Jun 09, 2016, 10:04 AM
The thing is, Mark, that there is no single correct answer; even without considering whether one is left-handed or not. Personally? I have spent countless hours flying 2 channel sailplanes with the transmitter in my right hand while, resting on my hip, my left hand adjusts my glasses, shoos bugs away, wipes my brow, or even holds a cold drink. I have spent slightly fewer hours doing the same thing with 4 channel planes. Neither would be possible with a Mode 1 transmitter.

Good arguments can be made for either one but, never having flown a "drone" nor having any intention of doing so, I wouldn't presume to advise someone else. It comes down, in most cases, to what comes naturally and feels right. Rejoice that many modern radios offer almost limitless options in assigning functions and please don't call people who use a different solution to a problem "idiots". That ticks me off even when it's meant in jest.

Cheers!

BTW. If, with a plane that has 4 axis control, you don't use the rudder and throttle very much? I would humbly suggest that you need to learn to use them. I must confess that I often seek out "crash videos" on YouTube and always find myself mentally shrieking "use the dang rudder" as fliers who are clearly over-matched try to bank and yank a 50 pound behemoth on their landing approach. The ones who spend an entire flight at full throttle and then panic as soon as they chop the power for landing also tick me off. When I see those guys at the field? I turn around and go home. Mode doesn't even enter into it. I leave when I see someone trying to fly a plane that could kill me, or cause catastrophic damage to my car, if they do not demonstrate full control of said plane.

Quick Reply