Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor

Walkera Rodeo 150 Mini FPV Quad - RCGroups Review

Let's go to the Rodeo! Check out this small but capable FPV quad that can really fly smooth and take a hit!

Splash

Walkera Rodeo 150 5.8G 40CH 600TVL Night Vision Camera 3D FPV Racer

Brand: Walkera
Item: Rodeo 150
Weight: 200g w/battery
Main Rotor Dia: 96mm
Overall(LxWxH): 137x148x77mm
Weight: 215g(Battery included)
Remote Controller: DEVO 7 / DEVO F7
Receiver: DEVO-RX716
Main Flight Controller: FCS-Rodeo 150
Vid Transmitter: TX5832(FCC)/TX5833(CE)
Camera: 600TVL DC5-12V
Brushless motors: WK-WS-17-002(CW/CCW)
Brushless ESCs: Rodeo 150
Battery: 7.4V 850mAh 30C 2S Lipo
Flight Time: 5-7mins
Available From: Walkera
Price: $229

Usually a micro/small FPV quad will do a couple of things well but not others. When I saw the Rodeo 150 I wanted to give it a shot and see if this was the backyard quad I have been looking for. I'm looking for something that is rock solid, has great FPV capabilities and can also take multiple crashes with no ill affects.

In this review I put the 150 Rodeo through it's paces and then some! I flew the Rodeo in my office, out the window and through my backyard. I also utilized it's 3D capabilities. While doing that I crashed the Rodeo into a lot of things and the Rodeo 150 just kept going!

Unboxing and Flight Video

Walkera Rodeo150 Quad - Unboxing and Flight Video - RCGroups (14 min 40 sec)

RTF Includes

• 1 X Rodeo 150 Racing drone
  • 1 X DEVO-7 Transmitter
  • 1 X 600TVL camera
  • 1 X 7.4 800mAh Li-Po battery
  • 1 X User Manual

What is in the box?

First I'm a fan of the actual box! It has a handle and it's built to transport your Rodeo 150. It can safely store your transmitter, batteries, charger, spare props and the Rodeo with the props on.

The Rodeo 150

Flight

This is the best part! Out of the box the rodeo was rock solid. To get mine going (shown in the video) i had to turn on the quad and the turn on the transmitter. That bound the two. The flight board was preloaded with CleanFlight and worked great.

Modes

In mode 1 the Rodeo very docile and easy to fly. I used this in my office, and while flying in the backyard. Mode 2 gives you 3D capabilities but is also stabilized. I used this the most. Be warned though, if you go to take off in mode 2 there is a good chance the quad will suddenly fly off in whatever input direction you give. I would suggest you always start off in Mode 1. Mode 3 is full 3D with no stabilization.

Arming

To arm you need to push down and to the left on the throttle stick. I usually set my quads up the other way so this took some time to get used to. You could always change this in CleanFlight if you want. To disarm do the opposite.

Video

Video worked fine for me. There is no OSD with this unit. The only thing I miss there is the ability to monitor my battery voltage. I set my dual diversity monitor outside my office window on the side of my house. I was able to sit in my office with goggles on and fly the Rodeo in the office, out the window and all over my backyard. This was exactly what I was hoping I could do with the Rodeo.

Toughness

The Rodeo is TOUGH. Super tough! While in mode 3 I literally drove it into the ground with zero affect. More than a few times I would crash into the ground and the Rodeo would tumble upright and the motors would still be going. This allowed me to fly away! I also had zero issues with the motors or props. The do not appear to be fragile.

If I could change one thing it would be to have the antenna come out the back and not the top. The top placement really would put a bend on the vid TX antenna.

Overall I was really impressed with the abuse this frame could take since it was plastic and not carbon fiber.

Battery

The Rodeo will beep when the battery is low and immediately starts to cut power. I would like a little more warning before the quad is forced to land. The 850 2 cell gave me around 6 minutes. That was fine with me. I just need a few more batteries.

A dip in the pool.

I have to admit it, my Rodeo found my pool. I was attempting to fly all the way around my house and I lost signal for a moment. I throttled down. When I found the quad it was fully submerged in the shallow end of my pool! The lights were on and it was making beeping sounds. I fished it out, dried off the parts and put a silica pack on top of it over night. The next morning I got her powered up and was blown away when it flew like nothing happened! It has had no ill affects from that watery adventure.

Conclusion

I love the little Rodeo 150. It's small and not something that would cause your neighbors to call the FAA. It weighs 200 grams and can take a hit. It flies amazingly well for it's size and the video signal is what you would expect from any FPV craft. The only weak spots are the camera and it's inability to be manually focused. For me the focus was a little soft but not enough to worry about (you can check it out for yourself in the video). The stock antenna is weak and the antenna location is precarious.

Overall I'm a big fan and plan on putting a good amount of flight time on mine.

Links

Click here to learn more and purchase the Rodeo.

Walkera Rodeo 150 User Manual

Old Jun 15, 2016, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by sleb
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
This one does look like a winner. I have heard others say the plastic is a little brittle. I was planning on getting the Inductrix 200, but then this came out and now I have this to consider also.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by sleb
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Deleted
Old Jun 15, 2016, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
I have yet to experience that.
Administrator
Old Jun 16, 2016, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Very cool! Did you test the night vision portion of the camera?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Old Jun 16, 2016, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by DroneFun
I like its design, especially light thing, very good
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
I did attempt some night flying. The video was super grainy.
Administrator
Old Jun 17, 2016, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by aben71
R/C Superfan
Looks like an excellent little quad,a nice one from Walkera
Old Jun 17, 2016, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Fan of just about anything RC
Nice review, Jim. I like the R150 a lot too, It's been well tuned out of the box. Only flew first flight mode so far, no acro, but it's fast, agile and yet smooth and giving the pilot good control.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2016, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by bobepine
Nice work, Jim.

Too bad this is 2s. This lil guy would rip on a good 4s setup.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 18, 2016, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Nice work, Jim.

Too bad this is 2s. This lil guy would rip on a good 4s setup.

Best,
Chris

It's quite powerful for 2S. I've seen someone pull off a double roll, which would not be possible without enough power to make recovery in time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2016, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by derk
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
looks really scifi, which i love! almost like a DJI and a 250 racer had a baby
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by Number2
It got away...
It's a really punchy 2s! My favorite quad now!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by DAKOROB
Walkera Rodeo 150 really odd problem with FPV (0 min 51 sec)

I'm trying to fix this issue among the same start up issues in having with the F210 on my devoted f7.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 03:42 AM
Find More Posts by quaddiction
Love the design, packed with a lot if punch as shown here

Walkera Rodeo 150 Slick! Review Unbox (10 min 32 sec)