This thread is privately moderated by JulianGoesPro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 06, 2016, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Drone Legion 5inc // Kiss Carrier Build Log // DroneLegionKissCarrierBuild

Right from the moment Flyduino announced the KissCarrierBoard (PDB) I fell in love with it... because I hate wires... and I hate heat shrink

...but there was no satisfying frame option back then that would fit the Carrier so I didn't go for it... but a few weeks ago I saw pics of the DroneLegion and instantly new this would be the perfect match!

...so I got in contact with DL, told them that I am interested in their prototype frame (wasn't willing to wait for the release batch) and made them an offer they couldn't say no to

For this build I looked in my spare parts box and picked those components (will change later sorry xD)

FPV Cam: SurveilZone HS1177
vTx: SurveilZone Foxeer 200mW vTx
OSD: Banggood MinimOSD
Receiver: Orange R620X v2 Telemetry DSMX receiver

...later I decided agains the OSD (couldn't get it to work... probably dead max chip) and the receiver and went for "no OSD" and an Orange diversity SpekSat

...and now to the fun part, the "time labs photos" of the build:

mounting motors and arms

Carrier test fitting

Carrier with soldered ESCs and XT60 / FC power wire

Soldered motor wires

added the cam (notice the two servo connectors, thats where the OSD would sit in-between)

here comes the KissFC

and vTx + SpekSat (I still have the servo connector on the FC a normal SBus Receiver (and IR timer))

mounting the vTx to the top plate

DONE!

Let's power it up

weight without lipo is 380g, not bad! (I like doing the maiden with KingKong5040, will move up to T5045HBN tomorrow)

just as an additional info... with the order I soldered the motor wires and the way the F40v2 (2300kv) are made I had to jump the solder pads on those two ESCs (2 and 4) to get CW and CCW motors to spin the right direction

So that was a fun build for sure!

As of right now all I have done flying wise is a quick los maiden and a longer FPV maiden which I recorded with my DomV2, so no HD love for now... and I think I fixed the cam power outage... lose connector it was (so be prepared for the video blackout^^)

Drone Legion // Kiss Carrier Build // FPV Maiden (1 min 38 sec)

Hope you enjoyed reading / looking at the pictures and feel free to comment blow!
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jun 06, 2016 at 07:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2016, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
reserved for more of this...
Jun 06, 2016, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
...and that
Jun 06, 2016, 06:52 PM
the people squad
really cool, clean build.
and not a lego brick in sight
Jun 06, 2016, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrodingers cat
really cool, clean build.
and not a lego brick in sight
lol... you are referring to my old lego thrust stand?

Thanks! It's so easy to make a clean build with the KissCarrier and the DroneLegionFrame... I am definitely not known for clean builds... just look at my last blog post
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jun 06, 2016 at 07:19 PM.
Jun 07, 2016, 02:53 AM
the people squad
mate it's just great to watch you from afar and to see how far you've come. From the building-blocks of Lego has sprung a champion of testing and development, keen with input and ideas, reputable amongst all of the manufacturers. You, to me, are known for your creativity
Jun 07, 2016, 04:02 AM
Fine build log, Julian!
I also liked the LG frames from the start since they look well thought and offer extra space for protecting the precious inside.
Most other frame that might fit the KISS PDB combo are too slim and the electronix too exposed.

Flight behaviour also looks good.
Jun 07, 2016, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrodingers cat
mate it's just great to watch you from afar and to see how far you've come. From the building-blocks of Lego has sprung a champion of testing and development, keen with input and ideas, reputable amongst all of the manufacturers. You, to me, are known for your creativity
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyduino
Fine build log, Julian!
Thanks for those kind words

now I need to test it with the new props (T5045HBN) and tune it properly

Jun 07, 2016, 02:53 PM
Links?
Jun 07, 2016, 04:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevenson1972
Links?
good question... not sure the site is up already but your best chance is to go to the main DroneLegion thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2654302

and for the kiss stuff www.flyduino.net
Jun 10, 2016, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Fixed the blackout problem with a new cam with a "good" connector

DroneLegionKissCarrierBuild fixed blackouts (2 min 13 sec)

definitely need more expo... the endpoint /s are perfect but centerstick is too extreme running 3/0/0 (and 50% expo on the Tx)
Jun 12, 2016, 05:59 PM
Nice clean build, couple questions if you don't mind what is the distance between the PDB and the rear standoffs? And the height between the bottom plate and the PDB trying to figure out if I can squeeze some a TBS Core PNP50 back there.
Jun 12, 2016, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demthios
Nice clean build, couple questions if you don't mind what is the distance between the PDB and the rear standoffs? And the height between the bottom plate and the PDB trying to figure out if I can squeeze some a TBS Core PNP50 back there.
Hey, thanks, sadly I am out of town this week but I will let Mr DroneLegion know you asked and he might be able to measure it for you before I get to do it
Since the PDB is on standoffs and those are on top of the arms the space is quite huge underneath the PDB in the back, my guess would be it fits but lets wait for definite numbers
Jun 13, 2016, 05:03 AM
Subscribe join the LEGION!
Hi Demthios,

Julian ask me to reply, he is out and has no way to measure it.
I tried to do a sketch to give you more info, hope it helps?

I would put the RX underneath the back space between the PDB/bottom plate. Still leaves plenty space on top plate, to place a standard VTX.
From looking at the images on TBS site, TBS Core PNP50 will be hard to get in there... I believe.
That PDB is a challenging item, no doubt!
Jun 13, 2016, 09:43 AM
Subscribe join the LEGION!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevenson1972
Links?
BLOG - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=631960
/www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post34440074

LEGION 4"/5"/6" - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2654302

Quick Reply