Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 06, 2016, 12:38 PM
Do you feel lucky punk?
Discussion

Eagle Eyes tilt servo randomly turns off

Hi,

I opened a support ticket, but figured I would post here also in hopes of maybe helping other people who may have a similar problem.

Since I first setup my EE my tilt servo would just randomly turn off. Everything else works. Just the tilt servo appears to lose power for 10-15 seconds then comes back on and works again. I was using the stock Hitech servos and then upgraded to the 645mg's with no difference. Power source is a good 50ah sealed lead acid battery with voltage around 12.84v.

I flew for 20 minutes on Saturday and it shut off 4 times. On Friday I flew for 40 minutes and it did not shut off once. The only thing attached to the tilt mount is a 1.2 iBcrazy BiQuad antenna. This makes me very nervous to fly! lol.

If anyone has some insight into this, or how to go about testing, that would be great!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2016, 07:27 AM
Hello,

This could be caused by an out of balance tracker or a binding servo that is causing the onboard regulator to overheat. However, if you are certain that only one servo is losing power then it may not be the regulator. I suggest testing with another servo not connected to the tracker and see if it stops. You could use a Y connector on the tilt so both are running at the same time. Basically you need to determine if power is going out or not when the servo stops responding. Also, be sure you are not using continuous rotation servos as they often use servo ranges outside of the standard endpoints which will not work with the Eagle Eyes.

Regards, John
Jun 07, 2016, 07:42 AM
Do you feel lucky punk?
Hi John. I am using Hitec 645mg servos. I do not have the pan or tilt balanced. Not really sure how I could do that in the limited space I have. I will do some testing to make sure it is only the one servo shutting off. I had the tracker on for an hour and a half last night while I was doing some work on my video and it never shut off. Do you have any suggestions or pics on how to counter balance the tilt?

Thanks, Mike
Jun 07, 2016, 07:47 AM
Hello,

Just because it didn't shut off while sitting still doesn't really rule out anything. By balancing the tracker I mean that there is no undue pressure on the servo with the tilt in any of its positions. You need to move the antenna or add weight so that it is neutrally balanced.

Regards, John
Jun 11, 2016, 06:47 PM
Do you feel lucky punk?
Hi John,

I did confirm that both servos were shutting off; which makes more sense than just one shutting off. I am sure the unbalanced condition, resulting in servo binding, is what is causing this problem. I have balanced the tilt very well and no binding is occurring.

The pan portion does not seem to be too bad. I'm not sure I can completely eliminate pan servo binding, just by nature of the design. I will play around with it.

Regardless of the pan, balancing the tilt appears to have been the major issue.

Thanks for the help!!!
Mar 14, 2017, 06:46 PM
I'm having the same issue. Did you figure it out?