Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 06, 2016, 12:10 PM
Registered User
burkefj's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Concorde RC RG well, concorde-ish


Sunday it was 100 degrees out so stayed indoors for the most part. I've always wanted to do a concorde but never have...so I gave it a shot. I started with the tubes/coupler/cone from the Estes Cosmic Interceptor. For the fuse, I angled the rear of one of the tubes with a cut to simulate the tapered concorde rear. I inset the motor tube at the bottom of the cutout, (Motor tube is right above the wing and even with the TE). I was limited on how much of an angled tail I could leave sticking out the back since my tubing was a set length and I knew I had to have sufficient forward length to avoid adding nose weight. I used two spare 1" wide body tube pieces I had to lengthen the center section 2" and left 3" to the rear of the wing as a compromise. I Joined the two body tube pieces and the two main body tubes using a coupler.

I used the basic wing planform from my Arc-Light kit, I adjusted the front of the wing and wingtip shape and mounted the wing on the bottom of the tube. I knew the added wingtip area would move the CG back about 3/8" which would help cg. I slotted and installed a concord-ish vertical tail which was large enough to give me lateral stability. I added some support gussets in the wing/tube joint to give extra gluing area. The receiver is mounted at the front of the body tube using velcro, and the single cell lipo is mounted just inside the shoulder of the nose cone. I removed the base of the nose cone so I could mount the battery inside. Rail buttons are mounted on the bottom of the model.

For asthetics, I mounted the servos on the bottom of the wing, but made some foam blocks that help keep the servo arms from contacting the grass/ground. The servo wires route into the body tube and use servo extensions to get forward to the receiver.

I made a little template for the windows/doors and did those with a sharpie and then used some vinyl trim to hand create the tail stripes and cockpit windows.

for flight I started with 1/8" of downtrim for boost and 3/8" up for glide.

I did three test flights yesterday evening in about 90 degree temps in 8-9 mph wind and it boosted really nicely, needed to adjust glide trim down to 1/4". I had tried some metal gear turnigy servos but they turned out to have random centering problems so I swapped them for some spare hs-55's I pulled from another model.

Three beautiful hands off boosts this morning in dead calm air, perfect glide and easy flare on landing, estimated 1 minute flights. I was concerned about the motor potentially burning the inside top of the angled rear end, but turned out to be a non issue.

Had three more great flights in about 7 mph winds but completely crosswind from behind us so I had to do a bit of back and forth to land n the runway. Altimeter said 474 feet on the second flight which is all I recorded. Nice flyer. For some reason our rc club has gnome as a mascot so we hired him as an extra, as a little homage to the movie "Amelie"...

Dynasoar Rocketry SST RC rocket glider flights (5 min 12 sec)


40" long, 23.5" wingspan 11.675 ounces rtf.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Jun 10, 2016 at 01:20 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools