HobbyKing Russell 2000mm Hotliner - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

HobbyKing Russell 2000mm Hotliner

The Russell is a 2M sailplane designed to be a great first hotliner or sport model. The fuselage is fiberglass with carbon fiber tow reinforcements and a bell crank system to control the full flying stabilizer...

Splash

2M High Performance Hotliner

The Russell is a 2M sailplane designed to be a great first hotliner or sport model. The fuselage is fiberglass with carbon fiber tow reinforcements and a bell crank system to control the full flying stabilizer. The wings are foam core and sheeted with Obechi wood with the ailerons live hinged and ready to go. There is a motor mount installed so you can fit a 22mm brushless inrunner inside the fuse. It runs just over $183 and you'll need to provide your own electronics to finish it out. You can check out the Russell at HobbyKing.

Jun 06, 2016, 02:38 PM
I have an HK Specter 1800 and I love it to death. I was even a lucky one who got one with no QC problems other than rusty pushrods I had to replace. That being said and considering all the stories about HK's QC... I would be very wary about powering a HK model up to true "hotliner" levels of performance. I would definitely wait for reviews before pulling the trigger on this one.

Cheers!
Jun 08, 2016, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh
I would be very wary about powering a HK model up to true "hotliner" levels of performance. I would definitely wait for reviews before pulling the trigger on this one.

Cheers!
I agree on that too. The Russell is better classified as a warmliner, than a hotliner. To power it up with a hot Neu, Leomotion or a Jeti race set up is asking for trouble
Feb 04, 2017, 02:41 PM
Ken W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece
I agree on that too. The Russell is better classified as a warmliner, than a hotliner. To power it up with a hot Neu, Leomotion or a Jeti race set up is asking for trouble
Why would you say asking for trouble by using a hot set up? I was gonna put a 3600 kv motor with a 10x6 folding prop on 4s. I already extended the wing spur and drilled for screws also the elevator.
Last edited by ken willis; Feb 04, 2017 at 02:48 PM.
May 05, 2017, 10:26 AM
Balls O' Wood
Any more on this model?

Ken -is that a hole through the spar?
May 05, 2017, 08:09 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Tempting @ USA warehouse for $122.17:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/russell-2m-e-glider.html
May 13, 2017, 09:32 PM
Ken W
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 flyer
Any more on this model?

Ken -is that a hole through the spar?
Yes I put a small hole through the wing to screw into the spar so at high speeds I won't lose the wing
May 13, 2017, 09:37 PM
Ken W
I've flown this model and it's very slow. The screws are not necessary through the wings lol. I also bought the sun bird from esprit models and it's fast!!
May 20, 2017, 09:32 PM

Add flaps to the Russell?

I was thinking of getting this glider. The first mod I'd make on it is add flaps so you can do all the cool mixing of an F3F rig. The Russell is going to be practice for the plane I really want, the RCRCM E-Tomcat. I know the Russell isn't nearly as fast as the E-Tomcat, but it would teach me all the mixing I'd need to know when I get the $500 E-Tomcat. Anyone who has experience working on the Russell wing...would it be easy to add flaps?

Thanks in advance!
May 22, 2017, 06:18 AM
DLG Bug Bit Me
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...otliner/page11

You may want to read the last few pages of this thread. DSD is modifying a wing as we speak/type.