Wyvern FPV Racing Wing Review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Wyvern FPV Racing Wing Review

FPV wing racing is taking off and it has the potential of being bigger than quad racing. You are going to want a purpose built racing wing like the Wyvern...

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 40" (1016mm)
Length: 19" (483mm)
Flying Weight: 2lbs 11-3/4oz
Motor: MicroDAN 2510-2700Kv
ESC: Jeti Spin 66A
Receiver: Jeti R6L
Telemetry: Jeti MUI75
Prop Size: APC 5x5E
Servos: MKS DS92A+
Battery: Pulse 4S 1800mAH Lipo (4S 3600mAH)
Available From: Stone Blue Airlines
Kit Price: $84.95

FPV wing racing is taking off and it has the potential of being bigger than quad racing. Wings are faster, easier to see and the races are more action packed than a quadcopter race. You can't race just any plane though and if you want to be competitive you'll need to get yourself a dedicated racing wing. That's where Wyvern comes in. It's the brainchild of Alex Greve, better known as IBCrazy of Video Aerial Systems and among his many talents is a knack for designing fast foam airplanes. At a recent FPV event I got to see Alex and his Wyvern pushing 120+MPH and I knew I had to have one. I had just missed qualifying for the Drone Nationals with my proximity flying plane I raced on a whim and Alex handed me a Wyvern kit afterwards and said it was time to join the ranks.

What's in the Box

The box is not very large, but well packed. When you open it up and pull all the parts out, you'll find the EPP body pieces, carbon spars, wooden ailerons, coroplast and plastic winglets, 5mm laminate, a couple of bottles of glue and some hardware.

Additional Gear

Since the Wyvern is a kit, you'll need to provide your own power system and electronics. Stone Blue Airlines has a great recomended setup for sport flying, but I wanted something a little hotter and went with a setup that Alex says will push 120MPH. I sent out a few emails to source the motor, batteries and servos and I already had a receiver, ESC and FPV gear to use. Thanks to Dan at GoBrushless for the MicroDan 2510 2700kv hand wound motor, Pulse batteries for supplying the life blood of this plane with four 4S 1800mAH 75C Racing Series Lipos and Thomas at MKS for sending me the kick butt DS92A+ servos! These are some of the highest quality items you can buy and they are sure to make this Wyvern one hot racing wing.

Assembly

I won't go too in depth on my build since I largely followed Alex's build video shown below, but I'll touch on the process and include photos to help if you are building one.

The first thing I did was paint the foam parts and wooden ailerons with Krylon paint. You can get as detailed and intricate as you like and EPP foam takes paint extremely well. I went with a basic two tone color design and once it was all fully dry, I glued the parts together with the included contact adhesive. Once the glue dried I made the slots and installed the carbon fiber spars per the video.

Next I used 5mm laminate to cover the wing and installed the ailerons using the laminate as the hinge. After that I was waiting on the servos and motor to arrive so I went ahead and made the cut out for my camera and installed it in the nose. I also glued on the nose protectors and winglets on the tips.

Once the servos arrived I traced an outline of them on the wing and removed the foam. I wrapped the servos in tape and glued them in with contact adhesive. I soldered on some servo extensions and routed the wires in the foam to the main compartment to be connected to the receiver at a later time.

The kit comes with a threaded rod to be used a pushrods, but I decided to make my own carbon pushrods as they are stiffer. Once they were completed I installed the control horns on the ailerons and connected the pushrods.

The motor hadn't arrived yet as it was being hand built by GoBrushless, but I went ahead and installed the included motor mount. I do plan to upgrade to a SBA alloy motor mount at a later date. At this time I also installed the inner vertical fins. It took some sanding down of the fins to properly fit so take your take and it will make glueing it on much easier.

Next I made a slot for the ESC near the back of the bay and installed my receiver in the side. I ran the antenna wires down through the bottom and separated them for the best signal reception. I also installed a beeper that will sit just outside of a hatch I will make so if I ever crash it out somewhere, the beeper should help me locate it.

After that I installed my 1.3Ghz video tx and antenna. I bought one of Alex's side mounted antennas made for wings so I could have a lower profile. Once that was done, I wired the system up. I used a 12V step down to power the vtx and camera and built a little compact parallel connector using some Dean's plugs. It's all nice and fairly tidy in the back of the compartment with room for the two batteries to live in the front.

I'm using two Pulse 75C 4S 1800 Racing Spec lipos in parallel. They fit without modification to the bay. Next I used some coroplast I had to make a hatch. I painted it and once dry, made some cuts to hinge it and glued it on. I used Velcro at the rear to secure it.

The last thing I had to do was to install the motor. I had to drill out some holes in the motor mount to fit. I added some bullet connectors to the motor leads and attached them to the ESC and found a lightweight 3mm collet adaptor that I used to install an APC 5x5E prop. I checked the CG and added a little nose weight to be safe and that put the CG right at 7" back from the nose. Alex suggested 1/4" throws for the controls so I set it there to start. The plane came in at 2lbs 11-3/4oz all up. It was now time to head to the field and see what this plane could do.

Flying

Launching is the trickiest part. If you have someone to launch it for you, that helps, but it's not too difficult to hand launch it by yourself. If you have a helper, they can hold the front with both hands and toss the model upwards over their heads at a 70-80 degree angle. You don't want to throw this one flat. I show how to do it this way in the video below as that will give you a better idea of how it's done. I like to launch my own models and it helps that I'm a lefty so I can have my right hand on the control sticks at all times. I grip the front of the plane near the nose, power on to full throttle and do a sort of sideways overhead launch upwards. The plane flattens out at the top and gets up to speed. These racers run small 5" props with high pitch for faster speeds and that means the low end thrust is not really there. You have to get the plane up to speed some before pulling up and away.

Flying around is pretty standard for a wing and it has a decent speed range, but don't get it too slow or you could stall it out. It flies on rails when the winds are calm and you get just a little buffeting in higher winds, but it's manable. You can really carve through some racing turns and you can pull back pretty hard at full throttle and yank it through a tight circle. I can't wait to get to an official race now! Landings are easy and can be done in the goggles. It has a nice glide slope, but you'll want to try out a mock landing up high and see how it responds and reacts at slower speeds. The landing skids help to protect the wing on landing, but this thing's a beast and will handle plenty of abuse.

Alex said to start with 1/4" control rates, but I found those too small for my taste. I ended up with rates about 3/4" which lets me roll faster and pull hard through the turns. It's all about racing with this plane so you'll need to fine tune the rates to the course and what is comfortable for you. The power system really screams. It pulls 60A static at full throttle, but that goes down some when in the air. I put a half dozen flights on it at my local field to dial it in before heading to the Pecan Patch FPV event. The weather was great at the Pacth, but it was HOT! Temps were in the mid 90's with the heat index hitting over 100 degrees. On the second flight at the event I lost power about a minute in and brought it in for a landing. I picked it up and saw that the motor windings were burnt up. The excessive heat along with constant full throttle caused the motor to overheat and burn up. I talked with Dan after the event and he said that cooling is very important with this 2700kv on 4S in a pusher configuration. A guy at the event had a 2200kv wing motor so I grabbed one of those so I could keep flying during the event. I sent the motor off to Dan for repair and will work on putting some cooling holes in the mount when I get the motor back.

Update: Looks like it wasn't getting too hot on this setup. Dan says: "after doing an autopsy on the motor it looks like the failure was caused by the motor wire bundle rubbing the back side of the rotating assembly, this caused the rotating assembly to rub through two layers of heat shrink, one layer of fiberglass sheathing and once it got through the insulation coating on the wire it shorted and failed. Kind of a Murphy's law situation."

Video

Photos

Conclusion

The Wyvern is really designed as a racing wing, but you can use it for fun sport flying if you like. If you want an all-out crazy fast racer, then you can't go wrong with this and the same power setup I'm using. Just watch the motor temps and make sure to get some cooling to it. The plane builds nicely and should only take you an evening or two to get it done. I highly suggest using high quality electronics like the MKS servos, Pulse batteries, and MicroDan motor. You can set the plane up on 5.8ghz and even add a stabilizer and autopilot if you like, but for racing I prefer a simplistic setup. The IDRA Nationals is coming up in August and I'm sure we'll see quite a few Wyverns competing for the top spots. I'm planning to make a run for it myself next year now that I have a competitive plane.

Jun 21, 2016, 12:32 PM
RCGroups Editor
Those MKS servos are pure BEEF! Glad to see that strong motor mount on there too!
Jun 21, 2016, 07:41 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Does the kit come with the laminate, or do you have to purchase that separately? And can it just be flown for sport? I have a 4s 3000 mAh pack that would power it just fine. I'm always looking for something different is why I ask.
Jun 21, 2016, 08:19 PM
RCG Admin
Yeah the kit comes with laminate. Sure it can be a sport plane, some guys were even flying it in 3S and having a blast.
Jun 21, 2016, 11:11 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Yeah the kit comes with laminate. Sure it can be a sport plane, some guys were even flying it in 3S and having a blast.
Thanks Jason! I like the different and unusual and this looks to fit the bill.
Jun 22, 2016, 07:20 AM
It really balances with 3600Mah in the nose?
Jun 22, 2016, 07:51 AM
RCG Admin
Yeah, it was close to being tail heavy too with the large motor in the rear.
Jun 22, 2016, 10:52 AM
It looks fairly unstable in yaw. Could it benefit from larger stabs?
Jun 22, 2016, 11:08 AM
RCG Admin
I've never seen a stable flying wing in windy conditions. They all have some sort of yaw movement getting buffeted around. It's less noticeable in the FPV feed and no problem flying it.
Jun 22, 2016, 01:26 PM
Engineer for Christ
I've been running a 4.5X4.5 and 4.75X4.75" prop to keep the motor cool. Still does 120+. Speed is proportional to power^3, so it is best to not cook the motor trying to get every last Watt out of it.

I must admit, I side-arm launch this one. I chuck it really hard though. The overhead is great as well, but for some reason I like the side-arm. The nice thing about side-arm is that you don't have a whole lot of altitude coming down if you fail the launch and the plane can take a high speed belly flop.

I HIGHLY recommend landing this plane fast. When it stalls, it rolls. Without altitude there is no saving it. Best thing to do is put it on the ground at 55-60 mph. It can take the landing without issue.

-Alex
Jun 22, 2016, 01:34 PM
Engineer for Christ
Here is an updated build video:

VAS Wyvern 40" race wing build tutorial (17 min 41 sec)

Here are a few clips of the maiden flight of the Wyvern. I put an HD camera out of the back but used my flight camera up front. One thing you need to be sure of is that your HD camera is secure or it will give very bouncy video. There is a lot of turbulence at 120+mph.

Wyvern Adrenaline rush (1 min 7 sec)

-Alex
Jun 22, 2016, 01:47 PM
RCG Admin
Nice, thanks for the updated build video Alex. I'm loving the Wyvern!!!
Jun 22, 2016, 05:53 PM
Team Legit pilot & DFWC Prez
This plane was my main wing racer for the past 6 months in Dallas FPV Wing Club. It shakes side to side constantly even in still conditions. If you cartwheel it, it rips at the seams behind the sweep. It also stalls just like mentioned above, dropping a wing on landing. It's easy to mend with Welder's or Goop.

It's a great race wing but does not like to crash. Even with these minor drawbacks it is FAST and with a good power setup and pilot can keep up with anything short of a Funjet.
Jun 27, 2016, 09:24 AM
www.gobrushless.com
after doing an autopsy on the motor it looks like the failure was caused by the motor wire bundle rubbing the back side of the rotating assembly,

this caused the rotating assembly to rub through two layers of heat shrink, one layer of fiberglass sheathing and once it got through the insulation coating on the wire it shorted and failed.

kind of a Murphy's law situation.
Jun 27, 2016, 11:40 AM
RCG Admin
Thanks Dan, I added an update to the review to reflect that overheating was not the cause.