Jun 04, 2016, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Thinking about a 1/10 scale rally car

It's just an idea at the moment but I want a car I can run out on the dirt track. Everyone is running 2WD/4WD slashes and I just don't like that style car so yeah. I am also done with traxxas for the time being.

Now I want a quality similar to my E Revo BL. As in....one year later I've never replaced anything but axles and bearings.

Price...I don't really have a set price in mind. One thing is for sure...NO cheap china trash. I have been burned on my last 4 cheap china RC toys so I am just holding off at the moment. I want a real brand if possible.

I'd like aftermarket support. In general though I just want a good fast car that can handle really well. If anyone has some ideas let me know!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2016, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Oh yeah, something where AWD is an upgrade option like my MERV and ERBL. I don't want 4wd. Be even cooler if it had a manual 2 speed trans like the revo can have...

Does a car like this even exist
Jun 04, 2016, 08:33 PM
Buggy in style
You want 2WD?

I'm a bit lost here. The MERV is 4x4, or AWD if you like. How is it an upgrade option?

A rally is made for a flat dirt tracks. So if all your friends are running slash, and doing jumps, you are not going to follow.

If you were happy with the ERBE, then you should be pretty happy with am Arrma Kraton. I would suggest the new Arrma Nero, but we don't really know how durable it is yet.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Jun 04, 2016, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
he dont want china stuff how did you miss that//.. try a associated just pick what rc you like
Jun 04, 2016, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Most cars come with 4wd, not AWD. They are two totally different drivetrain systems.....

I'd like the option to have one or the other.

Also it's not that kinda track. There is one little bumpy jump. Nothing huge.

Also I want a rally car, I still have my E revo. I want something...different I guess is the best way to put it.

Anyways I was looking at the Associated stuff. Is it AWD? They say both AWD and 4WD as if they are the same thing...
Jun 04, 2016, 09:07 PM
Buggy in style
They are the same thing in the RC world.
In 1:1 world, AWD lack of a hi/low gear transmission and has the engine mounted transversal. It is usually an intelligent system. So I'm not sure where you are trying to get to with this.

Are you trying to find one that has a centre differential?

Jun 04, 2016, 10:36 PM
Car Bashing
All Wheels Drive and four wheel drive on a car with four wheels is absolutely the same thing, whatever the transmission type. AWD = 4WD = 4x4
Jun 04, 2016, 11:43 PM
I am thinking that Michael-92 may be referring to something like the "clicker" Jang describes here from about 2 minutes on. Associated SC10. 4wd is only engaged under power.

Associated SC10 4x4 initial Review (17 min 28 sec)
Jun 04, 2016, 11:53 PM
Car Bashing
What Jang talk about is simply a needle bearing, who allow to have traction only in one direction. This exist since many year, Tamiya Egress had this option on spur gear. But Tamiya egress is still a four wheels drive even with this system. I'm not sure it is still use a lot. This system was also use to let front wheel drive free when release throttle, so when you brake car tend to act like a 2WD, only rear wheels brake.
Jun 05, 2016, 02:47 AM
Thread OP
Are...you people serious? You guys have like thousands of posts....whatever okay allow me to explain.

So the E Revo can be 4WD or it can be AWD. There are HUGE differences. They do this with a stupid device called a center differential but it's really just a very basic AWD setup.

4WD, the front and rear tires spin the same speed. You CANNOT mix and match tire sizes.

AWD, the front and rear tires can turn completely independent of one another. You can have huge tires on the front and smaller ones on the back without fear of ruining anything. I know, because I had the revo setup that way for a few months.

They are two entirely different systems. 4WD is more bashing, AWD is racing. You can put the power exactly where you need it. No more stupid wheelies, just good control.

I mean do you guys think AWD and 4WD are the same thing in the car world? A Chevy Silverado is 4WD. A nissan GTR is AWD. A GTR isn't 4WD and the Silverado isn't AWD. Now they do make an AWD silverado called the Silverado SS but that is a entirely different transfercase/front diff setup.

Point is AWD and 4WD have NOTHING in common.
Jun 05, 2016, 04:44 AM
Buggy in style
You... don't mix tire size in any 4x4 setup. Be it a real car or an RC.

Some RC have the option of installing a centre diff, others comes with it. If you want locked centre differential, it's just a matter of what you put inside.

Jun 05, 2016, 07:14 AM
Car Bashing
Quote:
Are...you people serious? You guys have like thousands of posts....whatever okay allow me to explain.
It is explain in the wiki ^^. AWD is a form 4WD. So AWD is 4WD with center diff. but still 4WD.

And like you say : "They say both AWD and 4WD as if they are the same thing..." even manufacturer use both words for the same car...Manufacturer who has years of existence.

Quote:
You CANNOT mix and match tire sizes.
It isn't really advised to mix wheels size on a 4WD with center diff. also. Nobody do that.

Quote:
They are two entirely different systems. 4WD is more bashing, AWD is racing.
You just create a conception, both can be bash, and maybe more a 4WD with center diff. There are even race car without center diff..

Quote:
Point is AWD and 4WD have NOTHING in common.
They have 4 wheels, who spin all together, whatever the speed ^^. Even on 4WD without center diff. a wheel can spin less that the other.

So anyway, you want a center diff. as an option in your next car. I'm not sure but maybe Xray? There is the new Arrma Nero who allow to block any of the diff. on transmitter, Arrma call it 4WD but it has a center diff. EDIT : but it is 1/8.
Last edited by Jym73; Jun 05, 2016 at 07:41 AM.
Jun 05, 2016, 07:56 AM
Bash the planet!!
The RC world is not the same as the 1:1 world. The bodies may resemble each other but that's about it. Awd in the automotive industry means that the car has all wheels powered all the time. some advanced stems will distribute the % power to each wheel differently depending on available traction. 4wd in the automotive industry means the vehicle is 2wd, with a selectable 4wd option. Some systems use auto 4wd, which automatically engages the other axle is a loss of traction is detected. Both most of the time the vehicle stays in 2wd untill the driver selects 4wd. 4wd in the RC world means all 4 wheels are powered. It doesn't mater if it has a slipper clutch, center diff., Or even a center spool, like my Bsr rally has. Now, the exact car your looking for is not out there. Rally cars in general aren't as popular as other segments. Most of the 1/10 rally cars are not made in the USA. Traxxas has their version of a rally car, that's basically a slash, but you said you're done with Traxxas. You're going to have to build your own or modify your list of qualifications.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jun 05, 2016, 08:50 AM
Car Bashing
Quote:
4wd in the automotive industry means the vehicle is 2wd, with a selectable 4wd option
I'm not agree with this, this option isn't always available.

Ho, yes, i forgot, 1/10 and rally car...
Jun 05, 2016, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
awd rally cars are available in usa n usa made just look

Quick Reply