Jun 04, 2016, 01:35 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hubsan X4 H109s low edition vs Hubsan H501s

Hi, Im new to drones. I did some googling and Im between this 2 models. They both quite good one cheaper.
From what I read H109S might have some issues but not sure. Would love to hear pros advice before I do purchase and regret after.

I like H109S long range and flight time, but then again H501s looks like its quite good for what it is and its got follow me mode.

Thx for help

edit:
just saw that range extending mod quite good

http://rccamp.blogspot.com/2015/12/h...1s-remote.html

anyone tried?

@matale0
Last edited by mataleo; Jun 04, 2016 at 03:06 AM. Reason: model mistake fix
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2016, 02:25 PM
How much r/c experience do you have? Neither of your choices are a good first time quad if you don't know how to fly without GPS assist. RC heli experience would help. Buying either will be a good way to waste money as you would most likely get into a situation you can't get out of without crashing. There a plenty of choices for first time quad flyers that are quite a bit cheaper.

If you are an experienced r/c flyer, then it would depend on what you want to do with your quad. I've owned both and have had good luck with them.

501: Fly it. If it flies well, don't upgrade anything. Video is okay, but the camera is hard mounted to the frame, so the video will shake with every breeze or change of direction. Easy to fly (for an experienced pilot). Decent range and features. Hobby grade FPV GPS quad. Cheap transceiver with toy-grade sticks; not very precise.

X4 Pro (109): 3-axis stabilized gimbal improves the video. It's only 1080p so the video will be acceptable, though not cinema quality. Recommend the High Edition to get the stabilized gimbal and 7" screen transceiver. The Low Edition is a 1-axis gimbal, non-stabilized causing the video to shake. Also the L.E. transceiver has a 3.5" screen which is smaller than the 501's transceiver.

I've flown my X4P out to 1150 meters, so the range is average. I'm not trying to set distance records as I usually fly closer, but it's good to know I'll get a strong signal even that far away. Way-points can programmed into the H7000 transceiver (altitude, direction, camera pan/tilt and time on station). Uses Google maps, but you would need to have a phone that can be used as a hot-spot for a wi-fi connection. Better quality sticks for more precise flying.

Upside to both: Hubsan batteries are on the cheap side, but there are after-market options available and both use non-proprietary connectors.

Downside to both: The requirement to calibrate the compass after every power up.

Recommend purchasing from a reputable vendor. The cheapest price isn't always the best deal.

Case in point: I had problems with the original camera on the X4P. Hubsan support said there was moisture in the camera, recommended removing the battery and leaving it in the sun, or put it in a dryer. Tower Hobbies sent me a new camera, free of charge; arrived 3 days later. Gimbal camera mount is compatible with the Git2 or GoPro camera, though neither can controlled from the transceiver (start/stop/photo/video).

As always, YMMV.
Last edited by Daren; Jun 04, 2016 at 02:37 PM.
Jun 04, 2016, 06:58 PM
Suspended Account
Between the 2 choices you have offered, I would go with the H501s.
Its a great unit for a beginner.
One thing to keep in mind though, is to NOT update the firmware.
Just use it out of the box!

The H109s low edition I would forget about.
The transceiver screen is small, and the switches are mis-labled.
Youll spend time trying to figure out the correct switch for the correct function.
Its easy to get confused in the middle of a flight, which could cause problems.

So between your two choices I would highly recommend the H501s !
Its about $260 shipped.

Down the road, I recommend the H109S HIGH Edition.
Its about $600 and a great unit as well, but more complex than the 501s.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Jun 08, 2016, 03:31 PM
I am sort of in the same boat. I am experienced at flying smaller Quads, but now wanting to upgrade to something that would carry my git2. My father-in-law builds and fly these professionally so I am tempted to do a build, but then I figured I would use one of these as a stepping stone, because it seems these would actually be cheaper than building one with the same features. I was also looking at the X380 standard and then adding my own gimbal for my git2 or the cheerson cx20 open source and later adding FPV as well.
Jun 09, 2016, 02:31 AM
Thread OP

ordered

Thanks for all help

As of above, I got no experience at all My first drone.

Ordered Hubsan h501s

They all come now with upgraded firmvare as factory do that, but apparentely works fine.

Ordered range extension set cuz it was cheap and theres reports it works and yt videos ppl going 1000m

http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-H501S...p-1053146.html

The guy who sells it locally was recommending h501s over h109s low.

Ordered spare battery and rechargables for TX
Mar 17, 2017, 06:32 PM

H501s

I added a 16dpi antenna panel to my Eachine d2 fpv goggles and added a 10dpi antenna to my crappy controller (pretty easy actually and super cheap) got me 2k meters

Quick Reply