Jun 03, 2016, 11:19 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Build Log

Star Wars B-Wing

Over the past year or so I've been building lots of Star Wars ships, mostly micro in size https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2556608

My latest build will be a B-WING, and some if the features, will require building it much bigger than my normal builds. I've got a boiler plate version working, and will be showing the clean build here. Once I get it done and working, I'll post plans for those interested.

B-Wing Prototype Preview and Ramblings (6 min 7 sec)

-Adam
Latest blog entry: Stol f-16
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2016, 11:24 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Outstanding !
Jun 03, 2016, 02:32 PM
skumgummi dave
Most excellent!
Jun 04, 2016, 12:35 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Base paint is on.

A
Jun 04, 2016, 12:00 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Weathering
Jun 04, 2016, 01:21 PM
The Force is strong with this one........
Jun 04, 2016, 09:56 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Great job AJ! SGTalon's got to be green. LOL. He loves this stuff.

Ken
Jun 05, 2016, 12:23 AM
skumgummi dave
+1, What Ken said!
Jun 05, 2016, 02:00 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Got the painted one ready to fly today. Should get some nicer footage tomorrow.

I've attached the DXF's of the cuts and stencils. I can convert to PDF tomorrow-ish.

-A
Jun 05, 2016, 05:04 AM
Cool as always Adam!
Jun 05, 2016, 08:28 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWoods
Thanks guys. Got the painted one ready to fly today. Should get some nicer footage tomorrow.

I've attached the DXF's of the cuts and stencils. I can convert to PDF tomorrow-ish.

-A
Nice job on the dxf files!

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jul 06, 2018 at 07:34 AM.
Jun 05, 2016, 01:11 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
It still flies, but looks way cooler doing it now :P
Jun 05, 2016, 01:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Okay, how about an equipment list?

Ken
Jun 05, 2016, 02:01 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Okay, how about an equipment list?

Ken
It's the same gear I had left over from my Slave 1 Build:

Keda 2730 24g 3000kv motors ( I like these cause you can stick mount them.
E-max 17g metal gear Servos for the fold
Turnigy 9 gram servos for the elevons
Random 12A ESC's
Old Futab rate gyro
5x4.5 DAL 2 blades
850mah 3s lipo
Jun 05, 2016, 02:02 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
CG is 5cm back from the "wing root" where the straight part of the wing, meets that little curved section. There are lines in the CAD models for the latteral CG, and motor spacing.
Jun 05, 2016, 02:19 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Here's the PDF version. The sheet size is 72x24in

Box on the right is the 6mm parts, left is 3mm.

-A
Jun 05, 2016, 06:46 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
AJ, this flies?!!??! Really? That is amazing. Please show some video. I am very excited to see that. I never did put in the time to get my design beyond the design stage but I always wanted to!

Very very cool.
Last edited by SGTalon; Jun 07, 2016 at 07:25 PM.
Jun 05, 2016, 06:59 PM
Ken's CAD Models
I told you so!

Ken
Jun 05, 2016, 07:26 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Video is processing now. Check back in a little bit

-A
Jun 05, 2016, 09:08 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Star Wars B-Wing Drone Footage (1 min 58 sec)
Jun 05, 2016, 09:28 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Noticed always turning left.

Ken
Jun 05, 2016, 09:32 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Noticed always turning left.

Ken
Therse's a right turn somewhere in there. It got a bit wonky when I added in the verticals on the pod.

-A
Jun 05, 2016, 10:02 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
It gets real unhappy in any significant wind, which today there was a bit of, but also the only day I could get my friend with the P4 to come out. I think my next step is to put a KK2 on it and add stabilization on the other axes.

-A
Jun 06, 2016, 07:13 AM
Park Stormer
Awesome!

Wondering if orienting her to fly in the "T" configuration (main wing running perpendicular to the ground) if she would handle wind better? Figure smaller wing = higher wing loading = better wind penetration. I'd think you could maintain roll authority by mixing in the "rudders" (Eleverons in current configuration) to ailerons.

Also, she needs a 360 degree rotating cockpit. Scale details like that matter!
Jun 06, 2016, 11:28 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Interestingly it'll fly fine pod down, but I cant get it to fly pod up. Flying sideways, I'm using the motors to trim pitch, so I suspect there is some weird torque interaction happening.

-A
Jun 08, 2016, 03:06 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Outstanding job!
Jun 08, 2016, 07:05 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7
Outstanding job!
Thanks! It's been a fun project
Feb 19, 2018, 05:23 PM
I'd be interested to see the CG point of your ship. I have been toying around with the idea of building a B-Wing rc plane for some time. My build plans included a single power plant option using an EDF motor. Is the gyro necessary? Thanks and good work ol' chap.
Jul 06, 2018, 01:11 AM
this is really cool. thanks for doing this. My interest right now is in these particular odd geometries. Yeah I want it to fly with the larger wing upright. Something about that visually appealing long story. But yeah no drone lifters, I share interest that is must be aero and 'fly' and deal with that. Pretty much as much asymmetry as possible, lol. Also thinking even shorter wings, maybe 2-4 stacked like biplane etc, to increase the weird 'impossible flying-dorsal' look of it. If I ever get round to something like this, I might add a tail or canard, I'm not so interested in exact homage-scale to exact names sci-fi ships, but in that geometry in a sci-fi sorta mentality/look/appendages. A 'natural' fit for that aesthetic is EDF-pods but that is almost more like a 'later' thing to do. Anyway, I do the hobby vicariously these days, for now, so thanks again for doing this! For example If I had a scrap scale A-10 foam model I would cut off most of one of the wings (mabey remove dihedral from other), add little cross wings, switch the rudder control for elevator, and try to figure what other mods needed done to get it to fly 'knife edge' but that would be 'normal' fly mode, lol. I am just fascinated with what that looks like flying right now. I get my fix in Phoenix by breaking a wing off the A-10 and flying it around knife edge, lol. (the physics are way too 'easy' to get it to fly in Phoenix, but then that's good for me to play with it for now). a Dream would be great if there was 'virtual scratch building' sim, but I further dream it some grand marriage of fluid testing software that could deal with entire airframes (step 1), then convert all that into algos/settings etc that would drive a sim (step2)use that as the 'model'. (because obviously you couldn't run all that real time).

Quick Reply