This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 02, 2016, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

R/C Diary Pt. 17 "A New Flying Field!"

June 2/16:

Well, I’m back from my three week west coast adventure! For today’s blog I wanted to talk about my r/c club.

The Southern Ontario Glider Group ("SOGG") was formed in 1984, (making it 32 years old, if I did the math correctly!) and later was Incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in 1993 (becoming “SOGGI”). SOGGI currently runs about 35-40 members. We hold monthly meetings from September through to April, leaving the Spring & Summer months for flying! As you can imagine, some of the older long standing members have seen a lot of changes in the R/C Universe since the formation of the club! I joined the club in the fall of 2013 and have also witnessed some amazing changes.

We fly from sod farms because we need the short grass to land on, not having any landing gear. We fly free flight, hi-start/winch launch gliders from 2M to 4M, Electric gliders and DLG’s. For a number of years, we flew from a triad of fields all fairly close to one another just southeast of Hamilton. As sod was removed from one field we moved on to the next. Then development reared its ugly head and the unthinkable happened…..we lost the use of our fields!

I have to commend our executive committee that spent countless hours procuring a new site….another sod farm! The only downside was it was only 3.9 miles from Hamilton Airport and thus it fell within their control zone! With all the hoopla about wayward drones, the situation didn't look promising! Working with Nav Canada and the Hamilton Tower, the executive prepared a “NOTAM” that warning pilots of possible r/c glider activity south of the airport. The good thing was our site was located south of the airport while most landing patterns were east and west of the Tower.

So, on Friday, May 20th/16, the new digs were finally available to the members!

During the past few years, the club has really matured and developed a comprehensive set of operating instructions. We had to tighten things up at the field especially as the electrics were becoming more and more popular. The club has an excellent safety record that we are all proud of and of course we want to keep it that way!

Yesterday, I loaded up my 2m Aspire electric sailplane and my new Cumulus 1.5m DLG to the new field. Another member, Terry Dawson from our club joined me as well. The new field is huge! One section is 245’ across and the other about 350-400’ wide. Both fields go back almost a mile! Woo Hoo! I can see we are gonna have a blast this summer!

Unfortunately, for me the wind was just too strong! Actually blew my hat off! I didn’t want to maiden the DLG in those type of conditions. I think I may actually be getting smarter in my old age! : )

We dragged out my new hi-start line & proceeded to unravel it to check on the measurements. The 7/16” dia rubber section was 107’ long with another 513’ of twine for a total of 620’. I will be required to reduce this length by some 84’ before it can be used at our new site.

We will be heading back to the field within the next two days but that will be the subject of another blog! As always your comments are welcomed!

Keep flying!

Cheers!
Lyle
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2016, 07:08 AM
Good to hear. Far too many stories like this don't have a happy ending.

We were flying from private property for a few years, as well. This was nice and accessible, only 3 minutes away from home and just outside the control zone.

It had a huge pond on the south end that got me interested in amphibs, floats, etc. Unfortunately we lost that location when the owner decided he would develop the land for retirement residence. Think this was 6 years ago and the trucks are still bringing in dirt!

Anyway, there was a private airfield, (where I had my first flight on my 6th birthday as it happens) and there was a group already there for years. Thing was you have to be invited to join so that group remains small and trouble free. Only negative is no pond.
Jun 17, 2016, 05:06 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for your comments Cougar!

Cheers!
Lyle

Quick Reply