Jun 10, 2017, 11:29 AM
Any flights ?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2017, 10:27 PM
Any news?
Jun 29, 2017, 06:54 AM
I cant understand it...I thought this would be quite a popular plane. I've been checking for pics/videos and updates on here for a while and nothing! I am working on my Hurricane, just fitted a Roto 35vi. Thinking of swapping the standard retracts for a set of the 30cc hobbyking type. They look pretty robust and have some good reports. One area I would like to investigate is how to blend the cowling in with the fuselage. The standard fit leaves a small gap where the cowl is moulded over the leading edge of the wing. I am guessing that I cannot reshape the fibreglass cowl, so I would like to know what other options there are. Epoxying an infill maybe.
Jun 29, 2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the reply.
If you post some pics I may come up with an idea.
Jun 29, 2017, 10:13 AM
My one concern before purchase is in the landing approach. Other Hurricane models I have flown were difficult to set up a steady decent resulting in porpoising . I just want to see it land with a smooth steady approach.
Jun 30, 2017, 07:10 AM
Pics attached (excuse the daughter who insisted she be in the photo!)
You can see in the second pic that the cowling profile around the leading edge leaves a gap and I would like to try and minimise this and blend it into the fuse. I am thinking that adding additional glass is the only option.
Jun 30, 2017, 02:25 PM
My first thought is to remove the leading edge wing fairing of the cowling all together. A dremel would make quick work of it. This would enable the cowl to be snugged up to the fuse. The detached fairing could be attached permanently to the wing or fuselage sides.

I have only seen pictures of the assembled model and not the individual pieces so I am not sure if there is a fairing on the fuse under the cowling or not.

I sure does look impressive and I would definitely change the retracts.
Last edited by Lexta; Jun 30, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Jul 03, 2017, 10:35 PM
Bandit I noticed you have cut down the canopy. That makes a big difference.
The model doesn't seem too far off when I put it by the original.
The wheel pants need to be redone is the other major mod. I just painted some on the photo.
Jul 04, 2017, 07:15 AM
Lexta - thats a good comparison picture comparing it to the original and I agree its a pretty good match. With some extra care and attention it could be a very scale model. I have cut the canopy down but also increased the height of the cockpit side walls, which has made a difference like you say. Your picture shows the cowling gap much better than mine and as you suggested, I am considering removing the leading edge cowling profile to finish that area in balsa/ply. I have also part sprayed the fuselage in acrylic satin clearcoat with gives a slight shine (but not glossy). This in my view looks better than the matt finish out of the box.
Jul 04, 2017, 09:27 AM
Did you remove the death decal and if so how difficult was that?
Jul 04, 2017, 09:55 AM
Its easy to peel off but they lacquered over it. So when you remove the decals, the oracover gloss finish really stands out in the shape of the decal. I rubbed it back with wet and dry and then sprayed with acrylic satin. It looks better without the decals in my opinion.
Im trying to scale up the cockpit too which is too long for a full size scale pilot so may use half size pilot.
Jul 05, 2017, 05:06 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
The plane looks awesome !!
Love Lexta idea on the cowl ! We have a product in the states called "easy coat " its a professional grade body filler, 1000 better then Bondo and when used on RC planes its durable, easy to to sand and does not crack .Its the choice of high end Corvete dealers who need to repair the fiberglass on corvettes.
I will see if I can get the manufactures address and perhaps its sold on the international market.
I wonder if any USA dealers plan on carrying this model, its certainly worth investigating
Jul 06, 2017, 11:24 PM
Interesting LDM,
I was wondering if the ESM cockpit kit would work in this model.
Maybe you could turn one of you p-40's into a desert Kitty Hawk and do up one of these Hurricanes in a desert scheme and get that theater of operations covered?
Last edited by Lexta; Jul 06, 2017 at 11:36 PM.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:26 PM
Where did you get yours from Lexta?
Jul 10, 2017, 07:07 PM
I haven't purchased the Seagull Hurricane yet but it will be from Hobby Gulf.
At the moment it is $537 Cad delivered. As a matter of fact I am going to purchase right now!

Quick Reply