Mar 20, 2017, 05:26 AM

Hurricane almost ready

Hi

I bought the Seagull 33cc hurricane . Normally i build WW1 (or earlier) models , but on crazy impulse bought the ARTF hurricane (always fancied having a hurricane).

Mines almost ready to go, got a NGH 38cc fourstroke up front. Just need to balance it.

Not had much experience with flaps (WWI planes don't have them) I have them come down so the gap is about 30mm. No info on the instructions how far they should come down. Any advice on this ?

Anyone got video of this kit flying ? Little peturbed that there is apparently none on youtube etc. Possibly this does not bode well !
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2017, 10:39 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Hi,

Could you tell me if your hurricane came with the retracts? Looking at the Seagull line of 33cc warbirds it shows the retracts in the manual and says there available in the specs. Does not say there included.
Mar 23, 2017, 11:17 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Ok, it does say the hurricane does come with retracts from hobby gulf. Not sure about the other but I assume so.
Mar 24, 2017, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER
Ok, it does say the hurricane does come with retracts from hobby gulf. Not sure about the other but I assume so.
Yes mine came with mechanical retracts, which seem to work ok with retract servo on each leg.

Only issue I found was, to use a Y lead for the retracts i.e. one servo channel does both. I had to move the servo mount for one retract to the opposite side of the wheel recess.

The manual does give details for upgrading the retracts by buying and installing electric retracts.
Last edited by notnilc; Mar 24, 2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: addition
Mar 25, 2017, 11:33 AM
Sucker for biplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnilc
Yes mine came with mechanical retracts, which seem to work ok with retract servo on each leg.

Only issue I found was, to use a Y lead for the retracts i.e. one servo channel does both. I had to move the servo mount for one retract to the opposite side of the wheel recess.

The manual does give details for upgrading the retracts by buying and installing electric retracts.
Thanks for the info, I assume they all come with retracts. I'm surprised no one in the US is carring any of the new warbirds, Sig models has the spitfire . Not super scale but looks good enough. Hobby gulf does ship world wide which is an option.
Mar 27, 2017, 11:03 PM
Any updates? Anyone flying one of these?
Mar 28, 2017, 06:20 PM
Hellooooooooooooooooo
Mar 30, 2017, 10:10 AM
I'm just waiting for decent weather to maiden mine
Mar 30, 2017, 10:19 PM
How did the build go? Are you happy with the product or is it lacking in some areas?
I am keen to get one but was concerned because of the lack of any reports.
Mar 31, 2017, 08:15 AM
Assembly is straightforward. Quite impressed with the quality. had to swap over mount for one retract servo to other side (to use Y lead and save a rx slot)

Ngh 38cc is longer than their OS33cc used in manual, I cut off front off the firewall/mounting box, to reduce back 15mm or so .

It looks like it should fly well, I get a good vibe. But (like you) a little concerned not to find any video or reports on the internet. I just need to balance it and it's good to go.

Weather forecast is good for weekend so I may have a definitive answer for you by Sunday evening.
Mar 31, 2017, 10:49 AM
Good luck and thanks for the info.
Apr 02, 2017, 06:13 AM

Wing bolt fittings

Just going for her maiden. Final checks assembly did remind me another minor niggle . Wing bolts screw into plastic inserts which seem to have none or minimal glue. I.e push a little on wing bolt as you screw in its liable to pop insert out

I glued them all in with epoxy when I realised there was so little to keep them in place
Apr 02, 2017, 10:11 AM

Flight Review

Ok just got back from maiden flight and .............

Conditions were nice sunny day, gentle breeze of around 6mph and I was flying from quite a bumpy sheep field.

Throttled up the NGH 38cc and it began to move and was surprised how quickly it took off and went nearly straight up. Rapidly realised it was still going straight up and frantically put in lots of down trim. Got it flying level close to the max down trim on the transmitter. Little bit of right trim rudder/aileron and she was flying straight and level.

Annoyingly the undercarriage was hanging down a bit, i.e. not fully retracted. On the ground it had been fine, in the air the wheels were dangling like folded paws on a dog, under the wing.

I rolled it to try and get them in, flipped the switch down then up couple of times, but nope they stayed folded but hanging below the wheel wells.

So started flying her around a bit and she flies like she's on rails. With a bit of practice I could do a nice slow barrel roll. The NGH didn't make it move particularly fast but did look a scale speed and sounded really good.

On the manual I thought the throws for the ailerons/elevator/rudder seemed a bit small (being used to WW1 models) so my throws were a bit more than those recommended as I thought it might be sluggish. Actually its really responsive and I had quite an enjoyable time with the NGH snarling as I did some circuits and loops and rolls. Really looks and sounds the business in the air (apart from the blasted not fully retracted wheels)

Decide to try the flaps and I was pleasantly surprised. Nose does go down a little but nothing shocking just as if your coming in for a final approach. Tried reducing the throttle with flaps and was again pleasantly surprised, it can fly slow with no apparent misbehaviour.

I was sufficiently confident in the flaps to try a landing with them.

The landing was a bit bumpy and one wheel and retract was yanked out, not ripped out, the wood of the mount pretty much came out as assembled.

Initially I wanted to blame the retracts as 'shoddy' not glued in properly. However, on closer examination the oleo pin was bent so some force had been applied before the wooden mount had given way. The other leg although still in place was also bent a little.

I normally fly 1/4 scale and 1/3 scale WW1 models, Sopwith Camel, Dr1, Pups etc. I'm not used to models with retracts or flaps. On reflection I believe I was trying to apply landing standards for WW1 string bags to a hurricane. The former have fixed undercarriage (with bungy elastic) and big wheels. fluttering down in haphazard manner on a bumpy field is no big deal.

The seagull hurricane, whilst i have no great regard for the mechanical retracts supplied, I reluctantly have to concede that it was more likely my landing than a failure of the legs or mounts.

With hindsight I think this type of model needs to come in and both wheels touch simultaneous and in a straight line. I.e. pretty much a 3 point landing. I also think that a bumpy sheep field is not ideal.

I used to have a 120 size gee bee years back and that was the same, although the Gee Bee had fixed undercarriage if you didn't get both wheels touch together simultaneous or it would do a strange 'duck walk' or worse !

Conclusion

Yeah I like it. !

I think the NGH 38cc is perfect for it. in both speed and sound, will experiment with different props. Others may want more speed but I was very pleased with the engine/model combination

Not over impressed with the landing gear but think they have served a useful purpose in giving me a lesson before I buy some electric ones.

Balancing - I had it balanced slightly nose heavy and it still needed lot of down trim. Something to be aware of. The NGH 38cc four stroke is probably heavier than most 33cc two stroke petrols. I had a total of three 6v nimhs up by firewall (2 for rx 1 for engine) I had no ballast.

Flies like its on rails, very responsive and looks great in the air.
Apr 02, 2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the reports and being the Beta test flyer. Congratulations on the success!!!

Of note, I found on my RBC Hurricane that it flew magically but was a hard to get an accurate approach to landing as it was pitch sensitive.
I added some more nose weight and the problem was solved. A very positive approach ,a little faster, and a straight forward flair resulted. The weight did not affect the flying traits but gratly improved the landings.
This may be of some use to you not sure.
Is there a chance of video?
Apr 02, 2017, 02:37 PM

maiden flight

Thanks for that, sorry no video this time as I was on my own. Took a couple of pictures before and after.

Quick Reply