Oct 21, 2019, 10:10 PM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
If I bought this hurricane,should I treat it like an ESM and use a pull/pull system
to keep the tail light?
Hey Alvin, its Sean..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 10:28 PM
Hey Sean!!!
All the servo's are in the fuse, none in the tail. Does the ESM have servo's in the tail, then?
It does come with kind of a heavy-ash tail wheel, which looks nice but kinda heavy, Thats why I put in a simple wire gear. I'm not sure if there is anything else you could do other than get ready to buy a bunch of lead for the nose. I wonder if an EME starter mounted to a 30cc would fit in the cowl? That could fix the problem and you would have a cool starter to boot!! hmmm...
Oct 22, 2019, 01:22 PM
Shell Shock, keep the tail end as light as possible and put all weight as far forward as possible. I thought about putting in a lighter tail wheel assembly but went with the kit set up. Pull/pull might help a little, but not much.

As you can see from my post, put all batteries on mount above engine and ignition on front of firewall. Then made a lead washer epoxied to front of cowl. Then more lead cast to fit and epoxied and screwed to front bottom of battery mount. Used a "heavy hub washer" and prop nut. Then I still had to add more lead shot to the front inside of cowl. I put almost a pound of lead in the front to get 110mm cg. 115mm cg is probably ok for some. Total weight is slightly over 19 lbs.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:39 PM
alvinchi, at least you got her down mostly in one piece with only minor repairs needed. You don't have to be concerned with the weight of repairs up front. Add a little more weight to the nose. I recommend cg of at least 115mm.
Oct 22, 2019, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Pilot
alvinchi, at least you got her down mostly in one piece with only minor repairs needed. You don't have to be concerned with the weight of repairs up front. Add a little more weight to the nose. I recommend cg of at least 115mm.
Thanks Night Pilot!!
Yup Im definitely going for 115mm. I have all winter now so who knows I may go ahead and dress her up a bit. I have to say even the short 10 min flight was a lot of fun on this warbird. There are just not a lot of places you can get a Hurricane ARF!!
Oct 31, 2019, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincfi
Hi Guys,
I think I figured out why my initial maiden went so terribly wrong. I did a re-cg and remeasured everything. I was totally off. Thats what I get for rushing to get this into the air. I think I was farther than 130mm!!!
Anyway I stiffened up the elevator pushrods and added a ton more weight to the cowl. I also shimmed the stock landing gear. I got the CG around 125mm.
I re-maidened yesterday and it actually flew ok, but yes, as you guys have found this was still pretty tail heavy. On landing I had around 30 deg of flaps and as it slowed it was really difficult to keep from ballooning. On the 3rd go around I had a dead stick. Luckily got the gear sucked up and a relatively smooth landing on grass. BUT.... the dumb exhaust caught the grass and pulled the motor and firewall out.
Of course the firewall was barely glued in from the factory. All in all the damage was pretty minor. I do have to say she is a fun flyer!!
I just have to find some places to put stuff some more lead. To be honest, if I did this again, i would almost stuff a 50cc in increase the nose wt.
I had a friend take an iPhone vid.
Enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/kMTxMa1b24w
Nice save.

Enviado desde mi SM-J500FN mediante Tapatalk
Nov 01, 2019, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2003
Nice save.

Enviado desde mi SM-J500FN mediante Tapatalk
Thanks Bro!! I appreciate it.
Nov 11, 2019, 09:21 PM
I'm away from home, but word is the new center section arrived today. Tomas from VQ Warbirds came through. Thanks.
Nov 16, 2019, 10:17 AM

Warbird pilots best friend

Lol!!!
Just got a big box with about 90oz of wheel weights. Should be good to get the cg fixed up!!

Harzole AW-0721 1 Box of Wheel Weights | 1/4 Oz (0.25) | Stick-on Adhesive Tape | 90 Oz 360 Pcs (WB025OZ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DG376VV..._Nkb0DbT0KFSSK
Nov 16, 2019, 10:21 AM
Quote:
I'm away from home, but word is the new center section arrived today. Tomas from VQ Warbirds came through. Thanks.
I just preorder the 60 Hurricane from them. I was hoping they would come in on the same slow boat!
Nov 20, 2019, 07:01 PM
I spent almost an entire day installing the new center section. The wing incidents are now only half a degree off. That is good enough. Took to the field the other day, but was too windy for test flight.
Nov 21, 2019, 12:16 PM
Quote:
I spent almost an entire day installing the new center section. The wing incidents are now only half a degree off. That is good enough. Took to the field the other day, but was too windy for test flight.
Hope u get/post a video!!
We need more of this plane!!
Also anyone have the VQ 60 sized Hurricane?
Nov 21, 2019, 08:09 PM
I'm just not having much luck with the Hurricane. Got it to the field today with the new center section. Got it started. Made sure aileron trim was neutral. Takeoff was good although plane still handles weird in my opinion. No aileron trim needed. Gear up and then about three circuits trimming the pitch. Then I roll inverted to check pitch trim. Just a little "down" elevator to keep level, then the wing departed the fuselage. It fluttered down and the rest went straight in. The wing attach point were the plastic bolts go in came loose. WARNING. You can't see much until it comes apart. Very little and light structure and VERY LITTLE GLUE. This was a design and manufacturing defect. So check that out, reinforce and glue.

Maybe it can be repaired but I don't know if I will bother.
Nov 21, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
I'm just not having much luck with the Hurricane. Got it to the field today with the new center section. Got it started. Made sure aileron trim was neutral. Takeoff was good although plane still handles weird in my opinion. No aileron trim needed. Gear up and then about three circuits trimming the pitch. Then I roll inverted to check pitch trim. Just a little "down" elevator to keep level, then the wing departed the fuselage. It fluttered down and the rest went straight in. The wing attach point were the plastic bolts go in came loose. WARNING. You can't see much until it comes apart. Very little and light structure and VERY LITTLE GLUE. This was a design and manufacturing defect. So check that out, reinforce and glue.

Maybe it can be repaired but I don't know if I will bother.

Well !!!!! Sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting this, I will def check mine. Hope you decide to fix it.
Nov 22, 2019, 07:56 AM
pufff .
Sorry for the accident. The truth is that I was reviewing all the joints with laminated resin before releasing it, but there are places that are not accessible. Anyway, I think this plane has serious design problems. The seats of the trains as already commented, does not come well attached, 0% glued. You also have to add more than 1 kilo of ballast on the nose so that you do not go crazy flying, the paint comes off to the minimum friction ... I still have not caught the trick, and I hope it is before crashing it because it is not an easy plane to land.

Quick Reply