Aug 26, 2019, 06:25 PM
After a month mounting servos and electronic, the plane is almost readybfor maiden. Taxi test was Ok. Dle 35 ra pulls a lot. Tomorrow im going to melt the necesary lead 1.1 kg to keep the plane balanced at 120 mm.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2019, 04:21 PM
Hi Viper 2003
Bracket looks good hope it doesn`t cause any heating problems to carby
This DLE 35 Ra is my first rear carby engine I had a few issues with not getting cool air to carby and letting hot air from exhaust escape fom cowling .
I Made up a plate as a heat shield between carby and muffler .
I drilled out all my exhaust ports, have a hole either side of the cowling in line with carby to access adjustments and one on top of cowling to let the hot air escape . Mine ran beuatifully without cowl but within a few minutes of running with cowl on the motor bogged down and cut out , would only start with choke . Removed cowl and perfect again . It`s fine now and i think once moving with air flow through the cowl certainly helps
Anyhow good luck .
Aug 28, 2019, 03:35 PM
Hi North.

I opened the cowl as big as i could. I think this will be enought for a good cooling. I have intalled the cowl a bit forward to allow the hot air flow between carmans and fuselage.
Howewer, in the instruction manual figures a picture where seems to be the cowl with a big hole driled on top, just below of carburator. I didnt understand it till you start to talk about heating problems. May be seagull have detected this heating issue and decided that is a good idea make a glory hole on the most visible zone of plane. Not a pro fix, of course.
Aug 29, 2019, 06:20 AM
Yeah my lower cowl opening looks the same as yours . The Seagull manual has a hole on top of the cowl when i saw that i laughed and thought
that`s not going to happen . It doesnt look too bad and i`d rather a hole than a dead stick landing with a 7kg warbird . I`m sure i read somewhere the kit is designed for the OS 33 gas engine which is also rear carb heat rises so i guess it makes sense .
I run an automotive workshop so when testing the engine with cowl on i put a large industrial fan in front of the engine, it made a difference.
Make sure you read some of the earlier posts , Lexta and Night Pilot have added a lot of good information .
Hopefully fly mine again this Sunday .
Aug 29, 2019, 08:20 AM
I will try open air holes under the fake exhaust. I refuse open a big hole on top of a warbird.

Enviado desde mi SM-J730F mediante Tapatalk
Aug 30, 2019, 10:55 PM
Buy em , Break em,Buy em ect
just bought another one as I liked the look, hopefully this will last a bit longer
Aug 31, 2019, 02:35 AM
The maiden was yesterday.

Was a succesful. The plane fly like a dream. Only 3 down clicks trim for a straight flight. I tried with cg at 120mm. May be a bit tail heavy, but not dangerous. Looping floats in inverted.
No heating issues with motor. 7 min of flight. Dle 35 RA Pulls with authority the 7kg of the plane.
Very happy.
The only negative point: the landing gear seat is too weak. After a little jump landing, the right one come off from the wing.

Sep 02, 2019, 04:31 AM
After the flight day, it is time to repair and reinforce the landing gear area. I'd rather go over than fall short so I used two 2mm Finnish plywood crutches on each side of the seat. 10 mm of GOOD plywood support the 7 kgs of plane (multiply 7 kg ,x2, x3, x4.. in a bad landing, jumps...) The one that came from the factory I could take it out with my hand, No glue, soft wood. The bottom will be laminated with 60 grms/m fiberglass and resin. I will take advantage and I will give more degrees of inclination to the retracts so that it does not turn over in takeoffs and landings. No pain, no gain
Last edited by viper2003; Sep 02, 2019 at 04:42 AM.
Sep 02, 2019, 08:15 AM
Congrads on the maiden. Mine was a little tail heavy at 120mm cg also. I'll try to have the cg at 110mm for Hurricane No. 2. I thought I would get some work done on the Hurricane this week, but have been interrupted by Hurricane Dorian. We were chickens and fled west to get away. Hope we have a house (and RC planes) left after it passes.
Sep 06, 2019, 02:17 AM
Well done on the maiden---always good to get them out the way, weak retract rails always seem to be a problem
Mike
Sep 06, 2019, 04:11 AM
Lithium grease for retracts and ready fot the rock'n roll againName: 20190905_203238.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 93.3 KB
Description: Name: 20190905_205936.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 58.7 KB
Description:

Sep 14, 2019, 10:07 PM
I've been working on Hurricane II for the last four days and making slow but steady progress. All control surfaces installed using Durbo hinges. I've had ca hinges come apart on gas planes. Servos installed and control linkages and control throws set. Heavy Duty Hobby King retracts installed. Same ones from Hurricane I. Took some work with the moto tool to get them fit. I put in 3/16 " spacer in rear to rake the gear forward. 5mm for you metric types. Added structure to rear of cockpit to get more scale "Hurricane" look. Batteries and ignition mounted under cowl. There was too much space between the cowl and spinner, so I made mold and cast lead weight to install in front of cowl. Fills out the space and adds weight. The lead weights 8 oz. Even with this and the "heavy prop washer and nut, and the batteries and ignition up front, plane is still tail heavy. I want to get the cg to 115mm.

There is room for a third battery under cowl. I'm thinking of using a separate battery for the gear. A safety factor over having it operate from radio battery. Although I've never had a problem with that set up. Also more weight to the front end. But I don't know how to set up the separate battery for the gear. Any info on that?
Sep 14, 2019, 10:13 PM
Still working on the Hurricane.
Last edited by Night Pilot; Sep 16, 2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: duplicate
Sep 15, 2019, 09:40 PM
Still working on the Hurricane. A third battery would not fit under the cowl, so I made a mold with modeling clay and melted and poured more lead. This is attache to the front end of the battery mount, as far forward as it would go. CG is now 115mm. My first one was still a little tail heavy at 120mm. Canopy is attached with silicone and screws incase it needs to be removed. Almost ready for maiden. Just a few minor things to do and also run the engine.

Hope to be able to maiden this week. But vehicle that I carry the planes in is in the shop, also forecast is for windy weather, mostly cross winds, so we will see. Total dry weight of the plane is 18.6 lbs. I mounted every thing as far forward as possible and added .75 lbs of lead.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:07 PM
I ran the engine today. Seems to be ok. Was hard to start since it hasn't run in six months. I didn't write down my mixes for gear and flaps down. So I put in 3% up elevator with gear down and 5% up elevator with flaps down. Ready for the maiden when ever weather and circumstances allow.

Quick Reply