Aug 13, 2019, 07:48 AM
Its looking good Lexta , I like the aluminum repair look
I just seem to be spending way too many hours on mine . I have changed the standard mechanical retracts out to some heavy duty HK ones with a 10mm pin
I drilled out the standard oleos i had shortened and they fit fine . The standard retracts design seemed to draw alot of power and did seem a bit flimsy.
I took it to local flying field yesterday afternoon mainly to run the engine in and check the ground handling without outer wings and cowling,
Did a few laps up and down the strip and put a few tanks of fuel through and varied the RPM , It idles beautifully and seems to have plenty of pull with
18x12 Master air screw classic series prop.

So thats the easy part i have the flaps working nicely and they are timed so they look very realistic . i have got all the throws and expo where i normally
start . i have a nice smooth throttle curve but now the final part of balancing , it looks like i am going to need about 1.1 kg of weight in the nose to get it any where near the 110/ 120 COG . I have made up an aluminum bracket that bolts to the engine stand offs to support a lot of this ballast .
The problem is the nose on a hurricane is quite short , I have the same size Mustang and from wing leading edge and back of spinner is about 100mm longer
I`m worried about hanging a KG of weight off a bracket witch may vibrate loose and cause a lot of damage .
Starting to wish i had used the MVVS engine which is about 500 grams heavier .
Any suggestions and don`t say fly the Mustang .
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 04:49 PM
I unpacked Hurricane II. It arrived in good shape. I've started on it and have the engine mounted. I agree it is a pain to get the correct CG but necessary. I'm using an NGH 35, front carb, rear exhaust. I have the after market exhaust because the stock is no good. It is made of some kind of cheap cast aluminum and will not last.

I'm using a "heavy hub under the spinner. I'm building a platform above the engine to mount two Nimha 2,500 ma batteries. I'm will also bolt a piece of lead to the front of the platform. In addition, will probably still have to put some lead shot mixed with epoxy in the front of the cowl. Having flown number 1, I want the CG at 110-115mm.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:02 AM
Well COG is at 115, had a few issues with engine getting hot with cowling on . i made up a plate to go between muffler and carb to deflect the heat .
Also added an air intake on left hand or port side of cowling to force air to carby , I have driled a 10 mm hole on the top of cowling to alloy heat out, really didn`t want to do this but had no choice seems ok now . Hoping to maiden this weekend but wind is 30 knots at the moment so will see .
Good luck with the new build ,
Aug 22, 2019, 12:03 PM
Noth14, keeping a rear carb cool in a tight cowl is always a problem. No handy scale air scoops on a Hurricane or Spitfire. On my Top RC Spitfire I added a small air scoop just under the scale exhaust ducted to the carb, and then a cowl flap on the bottom to create a low pressure area to get the hot air out. There were some carb heating issues before, but this seems to have worked. As you can see from the photos it is not very noticeable. On the Hurricane I'm using an NGH 35 with a front carb so don't have this problem. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. (I hate test flights, at least my own).
Last edited by Night Pilot; Aug 22, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Aug 23, 2019, 11:41 AM
Good Luck.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:41 AM
Well maiden went well. DLE 35RA performed beautifully . No sign of getting hot i think the airflow certainly helps
The 18X 12 prop is well suited and has plenty of power . I needed 3 clicks of up trim and after that was nice .
It was quite windy but handled it well .
I had a long deliberate take off to make sure it had plenty of air speed before leaving the ground ,
Did a couple of large loops but nothing too fancy, I have a fair bit of expo already but might reduce the aileron throw a little .
First landing approach was too fast so went around again didn`t show any nasty symptoms when throttled up with full flaps down .
Second approach was much nicer and gently touched down . When going slow enough I added up elevator to plant the tail
Was surprised to see it balloon up a little then settled back down probably the fairly strong head wind with full flaps didn`t help
Will let it almost come to a rest next time before i plant the bum . Ground handling was good.
I Think with a full tank COG is close to 110 I had a 6minute flight and used 1/4 of a tank .
Aug 24, 2019, 10:31 AM
Congrats North14. Glade the maiden went without issues. All information about this plane is appreciated. I'm out of town again but will resume work on the Hurricane next week.
Aug 24, 2019, 07:28 PM
Congratulations on the maiden.
Aug 24, 2019, 10:40 PM
Well done on the successful maiden

Mike
Aug 25, 2019, 03:38 PM
I had a bit if time on my hands today so I decided to open the canopy on yhe Hurricane.
This canopy is so thin it breaks very easily. I was lucky enough to get a new one from Sky Shark RC but broke that one on a nose over. They were both taped up so I thought I'd open them up and use them both to make one.
I made up a couple of plywood jigs and heated up and bent some old push rods around them.
I used hot glue to assemble a frame work which is similar to the full size.
I drilled mounting holes in the cockpit hatch for mounting the windshield and I glued some thin ply to the bottom fram of the canopy. I screwed and glued the canopy in the open position.
I like it
Aug 25, 2019, 07:38 PM
Lexta, that is very nice work.
Aug 25, 2019, 09:07 PM
Nice job

Mike
Aug 26, 2019, 02:22 AM
Nice work, Lexta!
Aug 26, 2019, 03:34 AM
That does look good . i hope you are making a frame for everyone .
I had 2 more flights of mine yesterday last landing was a bit long and in slow motion nosed over in the longer grass at end of strip.
and sure enough cracked the canopy . I`m changing my main battery to a 3s 3000 multistar 10c . Not too much larger in size to the 2200 2s .
The retracts use a fair bit of power to cycle, after 2 flights 2s 2200 pack was at 79% . I`m using a 30 amp ESC BEC So won`t be a problem.

I still haven`t quite got the elevator flap mix quite right . I was almost going to try a landing without flaps . I did a couple of slow passes without flaps or gear down and was pleased at how slow it will actually fly without stalling .
It was 28 degrees C yesterday i had a cover over the fuse and most of the wings but the tips where exposed and started to wrinkle so will keep it fully covered in future especially with summer approaching .
Aug 26, 2019, 10:10 AM
JP that is your gun sight in the cockpit
North 14 yes the nose over is a major hazad with 5his bird. If someone made a thicker canopy it would not be a problem.

Quick Reply