Mar 28, 2019, 05:12 PM
That hurts. Only a few flights and just getting it all trimmed out.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2019, 06:36 PM
NP

Bad luck with your loss

Mike
Mar 30, 2019, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear that.
Mar 30, 2019, 09:30 PM
Had a great evening flying the Hurricane.
Jun 20, 2019, 06:14 PM
All the hardware survived the Hurricane crash. I have the engine, receiver, servos and electric retracts. I've been trying to find a replacement. Gulf Hobbies not selling on line since March. I just learned yesterday that VQ Warbirds is a Seagull importer of the US now. Found Hurricanes in stock and ordered one. I'll probably have it in a week or so. I've kept all my notes re CG and control throws, negative expo etc. so should go better this time.
Jun 20, 2019, 06:41 PM
Great to hear
Jul 21, 2019, 12:41 AM
Hey Guys,
Sorry to hear about the loss Night Pilot, nothing worse after putting all those hours in. At least you will know how to set the next one up .
After 6 months mine has finally arrived , first job was remove all upper decals and a repaint to a much more authentic Dark Earth Brown
I also changed the camouflage shape to flow a little better, the cover didn`t line up on the top of the fuse in a couple of places
Also trimmed the cowling so it flows into wing root .

I used the NGH 35 GTR engine in a Great Planes Super Sportster and is going well . The 40cc MVVS has gone into a Black Horse 33cc Mustang
So I have bought a DLE 35 rear exhaust .
I`m concerned there does not appear to be any down or right ENG thrust built into the engine box , Seems unusual for an ARF kit
The upper eng mount holes line up with the DLE but the lower ones have to be modified , I have had to trim the lower section of Eng box
to give the muffler clearance , The engine stand offs that come with engine where trimmed about 10mm .
Will mount the Ignition module under the engine box , I`m running 2 , 2S lipo batteries one for Ignition and other through a BEC for receiver
both will be mounted lower section of front fuse above the wing .
The ignition coil will be as far forward in the fuse and a larger 600cc fuel tank behind that .

So the goal is to start with a COG of 115/120
Any info on thrust angles would be appreciated

Thanks Ian .
Jul 21, 2019, 12:55 AM
Some photos.
Jul 21, 2019, 11:57 AM
North 14, I would start at 110mm. 120mm is too far back in my opinion. As I recalled I used one washer's offset on the left side to get some right thrust. Seemed to be enough. My new Hurricane has arrived. I will be able to start on it next week when I get home. It should go together easier since I have done this before.
Jul 22, 2019, 10:16 PM
The Hurrie lookes great.
I did not change the thrust lines.
More photos please.
Jul 28, 2019, 07:10 AM
Pre assembly . Started the DLE 35 today , started very easily and little adjustment required
Even the idle seems ok but only let it idle a few seconds while running in.
I`m using the factory undercarriage but have reduced the length by about 25mm , will see how it goes . Ive painted the wheels with aluminum paint
and fitted a larger tail wheel .
I was going to beef up the wing where the landing gear mounts but there needs to be a weak point and would prefer
the lower section of wing to rip out or the oleo legs to bend on a heavy landing than the gear punching a whole through the top of the wing .

My servos should arrive later this week . I ended up with a 650cc fuel tank and will be as close to COG as possible
Jul 28, 2019, 07:18 AM
Above pictures are before oleo legs trimmed 25mm
Will work on cockpit once i have the plane plane flying well . I`m using an 18x10 prop to run in and will use an 18 x12 to fly
Eventually want to get a 3 blade 18x8
Jul 28, 2019, 10:47 AM
She looks great!
Flew mine again yesterday. It is a great flying plane and looks so good in the air. I would like to do another one in desert camo.
Jul 28, 2019, 10:30 PM
Thanks Lexta,

Glad to here yours is still going strong . I do like the naval colour scheme you chose might use it on a future project.
I also raked the undercarriage forward can`t understand why some companies just dont get this right
I have a 33CC Black horse Mustangwhich had the same problem plus the wing incidence is wrong so COG is forward of recommended positon
It flies beautifully but have about 2 mm of down trim .

Will maiden in a few weeks , will leave cowling off to do so until i have enough confidence in motor .
Its the first rear carby motor i have and am worried about getting fresh air into the carby and letting the heat out .
Ive drilled the rear exhaust stack to let heat out on both sides .
The real Hurricane had a small scoop on the Lh side of cowl might make something up if heat is a problem .

Happy Flying
Jul 29, 2019, 07:05 AM
A few more pics with shortened standard oleos
Still heaps of prop clearance and should be much more stable on the ground
Using full size metal gear 13kg servos
Ill post more photos when finished .

Quick Reply