Losi Baja Rey 4WD RTR Desert Truck

Speed and stability is the name of the game with this 4wd 1/10th scale desert racer from Losi.

Losi Baja Rey 4WD RTR Desert Truck

4WD Performance, Insane Speed, and AVC Stabilization

The Losi Baja Rey 4WD RTR Desert Truck is a semi-scale 1/10th scale baja truck with a 4-link solid rear axle, powerful Dynamite 3800kv brushless motor, and sealed metal gear transmission and differentials. It comes with a DX2e transmitter with AVC stabilization and requires a 7.4v 2s LiPo battery at 5000mAh in capacity. The Losi Baja Rey retails for $449.99.

CLICK HERE for more info on the all new Losi Baja Rey 4WD RTR Desert Truck.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10-Scale RTR 4WD Desert Truck with AVC Technology (2 min 13 sec)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 31, 2016 at 09:07 AM..
May 31, 2016, 04:18 PM
DFS#000178
SWEEET

Maybe we'll see a class form? We've got the Yeti TT (and a kit now too!), this one, and there will probably be more coming.

I'd be all for a class of ultra-scale TTs.
Jun 01, 2016, 07:48 AM
Did I make the A Main?
too many gimmicks... I totally get the concept of a solid axle for crawling, but for high speed bashing, I'm missing the point
Jun 01, 2016, 08:20 AM
much towards scaled enthusiast
Jun 01, 2016, 03:35 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
too many gimmicks... I totally get the concept of a solid axle for crawling, but for high speed bashing, I'm missing the point
It's a scale thing. IFS/IRS trucks look the part but that's it. They just look the part. Mechanically they're different and because of that they handle differently.

There has been a calling for an IFS/solid axle truck for a long time. Tamiya kinda' answered it back in the early 90s with the CC-01, then ThunderTech came around and tried again in the early 2000s, but the Yeti was really the first to do it and do it well. And then we got the holy grail--a solid axle trophy truck!

And now others are following and it's sweet as can be.
Jul 16, 2016, 04:28 PM
I think I will ask my wife to get me one of these for Christmas. I've been on and off the fence with the Axial Yeti Score. I wonder if this truck is 3s capable.
Jul 17, 2016, 09:39 PM
That's pretty.

#CamBrady2017
Aug 01, 2016, 01:33 PM
JohnVHRC
Fun video of a buddy ripping it up with his Baja Rey, this thing rips!

Losi Baja Rey 1/10 SCALE DESERT TRUCK (2 min 58 sec)
Latest blog entry: GPtoys 926
Aug 01, 2016, 04:40 PM
Awesome! I know I want one now. What kind of battery is he running?
Aug 01, 2016, 05:07 PM
JohnVHRC
I want to say 4s, but maybe its 3s? Maybe he will chime in.
Latest blog entry: GPtoys 926
Aug 30, 2016, 11:21 AM

My Baja Rey (EL King)

I just got my Reys, yes ordered two of them both in red. You know, because I'm gonna need tires and the body panel sets were on pre-order from HorizonHobby so I'd thought I'd just have a spare kit for parts. Here's my review after a few days of running it.

The build quality is Losi so no need to go into any details there, good plastics and good body panels. Even the tires have stayed glued together and no screws are backing out. I just wish that the radio had a foam wheel rather than a hard plastic one.

Out of the box I changed over to Deans connectors and just ran the wire out through the hole left behind after removing the plug. Used some electrician's tape for a pull handle. Once you have the cab body panel off, the wires are long enough to get them through the driver's panel and solder them from the top. You can hack any type of plug over from the EC3, but if you use EC3s then you're set.

The battery compartment is on a parallel vector with the left suspension arm and so battery swaps are less than enjoyable. The compartment is a thin plastic case screwed into the chassis and can hold my fat 8000mAh 2S with the spacer removed, once the screw holding it onto the chassis is removed; my thinner 3S batteries need the spacer. Best option is a piece of foam the size of the battery.

Turned off AVC after the first minute, you can tell the difference, more fun "OFF". If you need to get "competitive" with your friends, then "ON" is not a bad option either. With AVC "ON", it felt more like a traditional 3 diff car, but "OFF" makes it feel more RWD. To turn off the AVC, don't worry, just push back the "fans" behind the antenna and you have access to the Rx. You'll need 2 binding plugs, the kit only comes with one.

Haven't GPS'd it yet but I estimate it hits 40mph+ on grass at the park. I was too scared to run it WOT down my street. The front end lifts due to the long travel suspension and it gets a bit wobbly at high speeds on asphalt. Fully loaded it's way lighter than my Bushmaster.

It does tend to traction roll around turns but on loose dirt, sand or even smooth concrete, this thing is so much fun. Letting off throttle into turns will make it turn pretty well and punch it out of the turn as soon as it straightens out. It's actually pretty well balanced and I had lots of fun jumping it at the track, even with the spare tire. OCRC has some mini whoops now and the Rey just soaks them up like a sponge.

OK, now the nitty gritty...playing in the park the second day out, about the 6th pack I hear a grinding noise. At home, I found a rear pumpkin pinion bearing eploxded. Rear pumpkin screws are easily accessed with the rear suspension fully extended, they face front not rear. Replaced the bearings and back to the races. After a few cartwheels, I noticed the rear control arms are all bent and twisted. I've managed to get them back into roughly the same shape.

Running stock tires and wheels, not sure what wheels will fit, they are different from the 1:8 buggy's, and still did pretty well on hard pack clay at OCRC Raceway. It came with an extra pinion gear, haven't investigated how many teeth, just running stock now. After a 3S pack, the motor is cool enough to touch, haven't temped it yet with the Raytek but within normal operating range.

The thing that most of everyone will hate is working on the truck. If I didn't have my set of rounded tip Allen wrenches, I would have had to take apart the whole roll cage.

At the track I had some steering issues, at first I thought "there goes the servo" but it was actually the servo horn. To replace said servo horn, I removed the aluminum chassis and entered from below. I think this is way Losi has designed it for there are little guides/nubs in the plastic parts that attach to the chassis. Makes reassembling much easier. The hardest screws were the two on the top plate right below the "dashboard", luckily my round tip allen fit through the gap and had enough bite. Oh and another thing, this being my 1st Losi I was happy to find all metric hardware.

Servo then comes out in a puzzle fashion for the plastic part has the center drive shaft running through it, sort of. Fiddle a bit and the servo will come out without too much elbow grease. As of yet, I'm not sure how I will remove the center diff for servicing, if anyone has a quick solution I'm all ears.

The really cool thing is the roll cage and the separate body panels. The roll cage absorbs shocks from impacts and the separate panels can "flex and bend" at the panel gaps. I'm expecting a lot of mileage from these body panels.

So my gripes with this truck is working on it (which Losi has done a pretty good job all things considered), the battery compartment (which could be a lot worse), and the Tx's plastic steering wheel. We'll see how the motor and ESC holds up, I smoked the Ripper in less than a week. Although the truck is very fun at the race track, it won't be winning any races. Great park basher and awesome just to stare at.
Sep 05, 2016, 02:41 AM
I review RC Products
This is pretty sweet!

Losi 1/10 Scale Baja Rey 4WD RTR Desert Truck with AVC Technology (4 min 39 sec)
Oct 06, 2016, 04:57 PM
wrecker344

3s capable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592
I think I will ask my wife to get me one of these for Christmas. I've been on and off the fence with the Axial Yeti Score. I wonder if this truck is 3s capable.

Yea man, I've got 7-8 packs through mine on 3s with no probs whatsoever! It runs like a bat outta hell. Only thing I'm gonna do right away is upgrade the servo, the stock one is VERY sluggish and soft.
Jun 22, 2017, 09:09 PM

Losi Baja rey WARNING about buying

I finally got my hands on the losi baja rey, its a very bad ass truck. There are many awsome features on the truck such as metal gears, adjustable oil shocks, a 4 link in the rear, and alot more. The biggest disappointment is that the truck DOES NOT come with a battery. This is a big problem for me. I am a intern in high school, i dont make alot of money due to limited hour of the business before they close for the day and the time i get out of school. I saved all my money to get a new rc car, now i have to wait to pay day torun the truck.
Jun 22, 2017, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_moore
I finally got my hands on the losi baja rey, its a very bad ass truck. There are many awsome features on the truck such as metal gears, adjustable oil shocks, a 4 link in the rear, and alot more. The biggest disappointment is that the truck DOES NOT come with a battery. This is a big problem for me. I am a intern in high school, i dont make alot of money due to limited hour of the business before they close for the day and the time i get out of school. I saved all my money to get a new rc car, now i have to wait to pay day torun the truck.
Losi states in their ad's requires battery. Ya the RTR is a little misleading and should have a battery or call it what it is ARTR. Look at Hobby King their batteries are cheap and just fine for this application. I don't use my maxamps in my Axial TT or my Rey those are for my competition level vehicles. We're pinning down a simple set of rules for a live axle class. so far they've been a blast and all we have done is change the tires for better bite. There's 8 of us regulars in the class and the racing is always close. Not as fast as my SCTE or 22T by any means but the racing is a lot more fun.

Quick Reply