Oct 11, 2016, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS II
SSucces on the maidens.
Now, isn't this a very nice looking and flying model?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2016, 09:28 PM
Go fly a jet today
Thread OP
It is so smooth and the 40 gives it all the vertical it needs and then some, one thing that surprise me was that it didn't floated during landing.
Oct 11, 2016, 09:43 PM
Quote:
It is so smooth and the 40 gives it all the vertical it needs and then some, one thing that surprise me was that it didn't floated during landing.
That's interesting, mine is the easiest model I've got to land. Are you using the flaps?
Oct 11, 2016, 10:31 PM
Go fly a jet today
Thread OP
My landing was without flaps.

No, I'm with you on this one, the approach and landing were solid, my Escapade weights 14.6 Lbs
Oct 12, 2016, 12:22 AM
Quote:
My landing was without flaps.

No, I'm with you on this one, the approach and landing were solid, my Escapade weights 14.6 Lbs
If you go with flaps, you will have to mix elevator with flaps so the model doesn't balloon when flaps are activated.

Yours weighs 14.6 Lbs? Interesting. With my electric version using a Hacker A60-5S motor and a 10S2P A123 pack, mine weighs a total of 14.3 pounds, ready to fly. The A123 pack weighs in at 3.4 pounds. And, it also has a two cell A123 backup which weighs in at 7 ounces.

FYI, the Hacker motor turns its 19X12 prop at 6500 RPM, pulling 2200 Watts. Do you have the prop diameter, pitch and RPM for your twin?
Oct 12, 2016, 01:58 AM
Go fly a jet today
Thread OP
Got flaps and the elevators mix down using the crow mix, I deployed them once during the flight and it looks like the the elevators are down enough to keep it on a nose down flight.

The 40 is spinning a 20X8 Xoar prop, I was able to get it to spin up to 6900. I think that the extra weight came form, the engine, the second battery pack and the flaps servos.
Oct 12, 2016, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Got flaps and the elevators mix down using the crow mix, I deployed them once during the flight and it looks like the the elevators are down enough to keep it on a nose down flight.

The 40 is spinning a 20X8 Xoar prop, I was able to get it to spin up to 6900. I think that the extra weight came form, the engine, the second battery pack and the flaps servos.
Thanks for the info.

Running your numbers on a prop power formula, I get 2200 Watts for your setup. So, our models would be very close in performance. Outside of the fact I'm limited to about 6 1/2 minute flights.
Oct 12, 2016, 11:20 AM
Go fly a jet today
Thread OP
Now that you are comparing, the gas power pack cost me, $513 , how about the electric power package.

Engine. 450
Opto kill. 20
Prop. 22
Fuel filter. 3
Fuel line. 5
Fuel port dot. 3
Spark plugs. 10
______
$513
Oct 12, 2016, 12:12 PM
does the electric package include multiple batteries, charger, motor, ESC? it should at least include a couple batteries for somewhat continuous operation. it can be argued that the charger is analagous to gas powered starting equipment except that chargers can get very expensive, especially if power is not available at the field.
Oct 12, 2016, 01:39 PM
Go fly a jet today
Thread OP
I think that in order to have a flying day like with a gas engine one needs to have at least 3 battery packs, one flying, one cooling down and one charging, the charger should not be concluded when calculating the total but you will need a good one for sure.
Oct 12, 2016, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Now that you are comparing, the gas power pack cost me, $513 , how about the electric power package.

Engine. 450
Opto kill. 20
Prop. 22
Fuel filter. 3
Fuel line. 5
Fuel port dot. 3
Spark plugs. 10
______
$513
Naw, as indicated, for raw flying time per flight, gassers far outperform electrics.

As for Cost, I've got top of the line stuff.

Hacker A60- 5S. $269
CC 80 amp HV ESC. $155
CC SBEC. $22
10S2P A123. $186
For a total of $630.

Going to cheaper Hobby King stuff could cut the Cost in half.

Those A123 packs can be recharged in 15 minutes with a high powered charger. I've got over 150 A123 cells in my various models. They will last 500 flights and 5 years.

Just yesterday, I put 6 flights on my Showtime 50 with its 7S2P A123 pack. That pack is now 8 years old, and still turns the same prop at the same RPM with 90% of the original flying time.

One big advantage of electric is virtually no vibration to pound on servo gears, and the model itself.

One of my models has well over 1000 flights on it. Had to recover it last year due to sunlight damage to the monokote covering. That model is now 12 years old. This 65 inch 8 pound model has a 6S2P A123 pack and a 1200 Watt Hacker A50 motor with a 15X10 prop.

Quality motors such as the Hacker line are good for many years of flying time. I'm still flying every Hacker I've ever purchased, some of which are 8 years old.
Last edited by vollrathd; Oct 12, 2016 at 02:53 PM.
Oct 12, 2016, 04:20 PM
...but no cool airplane sound with electric. Still, to each, their own and both IC and electric have their merits.
Oct 12, 2016, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroguy
...but no cool airplane sound with electric. Still, to each, their own and both IC and electric have their merits.
Yup

I've threatened more than once to rig up a piece of plastic to slap against the prop, like the playing cards we did on our bike spokes so many years ago!
Oct 12, 2016, 05:16 PM
Hey, it's really cool that smaller and smaller gas engines are available, and it's really cool that bigger and bigger electrics are available and viable. More choices across a larger size range is a good thing
Oct 12, 2016, 06:50 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd
Yup

I've threatened more than once to rig up a piece of plastic to slap against the prop, like the playing cards we did on our bike spokes so many years ago!
Now thats funny!, brings back some memories....
Kurt

Quick Reply