Great Planes Escapade MX GP/EP ARF 80" with VVRC 40 twin - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 28, 2016, 02:01 PM
Go fly a jet today
Build Log

Great Planes Escapade MX GP/EP ARF 80" with VVRC 40 twin

I decided to start my own thread because this maybe the only Escapade with a twin mounted engine.

I got an excellent deal on the engine that I couldn't pass, the Escapade was easy to pick to put it on, it's big, easy to see, very attractive color design, easy to transport and the best thing of it is that I haven't read anything bad about it.
I got the engine about a week ago, I ordered the Escapade and a 20X8 prop round the same time, they both came yesterday just in time to run the engine.
After a complete inspection and cleaning the engine checked out with excellent health, the needles were adjust per the manual, mounted and run, it was hard to start because the carb was dry and because the rings are not completely seating, now that I know how it runs it's time to start the build of the airplane.
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 13, 2016 at 12:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2016, 11:52 AM
Go fly a jet today
I finally had a chance to go over the Escapade, over all it is a nice airplane, I noticed that the canopy/hatch was not glue in two spots and it also has a small crack, I will be calling Hobby Services today to get a replacement, the good thing is that it will not delay the build since it is a part that I can swap any time..

Just as I suspected, the cylinders are going to be sticking out ( a la Piper Cub ) also the mufflers barely clear the canopy on the inside..
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 05, 2016 at 06:19 AM.
May 31, 2016, 06:07 PM
Go fly a jet today
I called GP. Product support to request a new canopy/hatch, it only took about 5 minutes of conversation with him, then he said, a new canopy will be on the way in about a week

Excellent services from GP, just love it
May 31, 2016, 06:12 PM
Go fly a jet today
A few more pictures.
Last edited by CARS II; May 31, 2016 at 06:18 PM.
May 31, 2016, 09:03 PM
Same experience with GP support. It is excellent.
Jun 02, 2016, 09:12 AM
Go fly a jet today
I will be working on the fuse and installing the engine this weekend, of course I will post pictures of it.
Jun 06, 2016, 01:19 AM
Go fly a jet today
It has been a busy weekend, I had a chance to do a few things on the fuse, stretching the covering on the fuse, vertical and horizontal stabs, glue both stabs, install the main gear and wheel pants, tail wheel, rudder servo with the pull/pull wires and mounting the engine.

The mounting of the engine took some thinking to do because there are no markings to follow, also I reinforced the firewall and the gear mounting plate with what I call wood nails, on most ARF the glue doesn't adhere good enough to the laser cut ends because of this I do the wood nail thing to the firewall and the main gear plate using 3/32 wood dowels and 30 minutes epoxy.

I also added thin CA to the fuse from the firewall to the end of the canopy/hatch,
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 06, 2016 at 04:18 PM.
Jun 08, 2016, 12:44 AM
Go fly a jet today
I got an email today that the replacement canopy is on the way, very nice! Great services.
Jun 10, 2016, 08:39 AM
Nice. It will be interesting to see how the cowl looks, and how CG comes out.
Jun 11, 2016, 04:30 AM
Go fly a jet today
I agreed on the cowl, at the moment I think Im going to have to keep the ignition and the batts to the front.
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 12, 2016 at 02:08 AM.
Jun 11, 2016, 08:19 PM
Go fly a jet today
I was reading on another thread that someone experience the wings hold down screws come out after some flights and the possible solutions, this is what I came out with, 3/8 in hitch pins because they were big and flexible enough and it appeared to be a good size for the inti rotation pegs and used a 5/64 drill bit, I used RC56 ( canopy glue ) to glue the rubber washer to the plastic screws.
Of course, I got these parts from Home Depot

As I said it before, I will experiment with anything that is new to me on the gas side.
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 13, 2016 at 01:05 PM.
Jun 13, 2016, 01:13 AM
Go fly a jet today
Some of the work done today, the CDI and ignition batt are under the try.
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 13, 2016 at 01:22 AM.
Jun 19, 2016, 01:55 AM
Go fly a jet today
I had a chance to detail the cowl, I had and idea of how it was going to end up and it did as expected, also I had to turn the fuel tank because of the pins on the anti-rotation dowels.
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 19, 2016 at 11:31 PM.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS II
I had a chance to detail the cowl, I had and idea of how it was going to end up and it did as expected, also I had to turn the fuel tank because of the pins on the anti-rotation dowels.
That giant Escapade is a very nice, very good flying model airplane. Don't know if it has any faults. I bought mine last fall, and electrified it with a 2200 Watt electric motor, with a 19X12 APC-E prop.

Easy to fly, very acrobatic, can't ask for more. Since I bought mine, three more club members bought theirs, running them on 30 cc gasser engines.
Jun 21, 2016, 02:16 PM
Go fly a jet today
Having to remove plastic screws on the canopy to gain access to the inside of the Escapade is something I don't like, I want faster access to it, I remember these silve quick release key holders, it gave me an idea that I'm looking into, I found nicer ones and with a better grip to be able to push and pull in and out, it isn't complete and I will change it some more to make it smaller and more compact, it looks like it is going to work holding down the canopy just fine but only time will tell.

Two different ones are been tested but I think I will be using the anodized blue one.
Last edited by CARS II; Jun 21, 2016 at 03:06 PM.