May 27, 2016, 10:28 AM
Play Low, Fly High
Thread OP
Discussion

Suggestions for first build/second plane?

So, I have a Sport Cub S, which I managed to maiden this morning. I've been thinking lately about where I want to go after the SCS, and while I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself, I think I want to do a DTFB build.

I've had my eye on the FT Mini Arrow. I think it caught my attention because,

A.) It's a flying wing, which is very cool and offers something totally different from the SCS

B.) It looks fairly easy to build

C.) It's a pusher, so when I inevitably nose it into the ground I shouldn't damage the electronics.

I likely won't be starting to build until sometime this summer (July), so this is very much cart-before-horse. Still, I have a few questions, and I figured I'd ask. Am I on the right track? Is this a good plane for a first build, or as a second plane? Or am I going over my head? Also, regarding electronics...are the FT "power packs" worth it, or are they overpriced? Would I be able to buy what I need separately, for less than FT charges for a power pack?

Thanks in advance for the help!
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2016, 11:48 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Build a Nutball, quick, easy, cheap, get your feet wet with a great flier.

Modified Nutball.

tricks (4 min 38 sec)
May 27, 2016, 12:08 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenttuba
So, I have a Sport Cub S, which I managed to maiden this morning. I've been thinking lately about where I want to go after the SCS, and while I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself, I think I want to do a DTFB build.

I've had my eye on the FT Mini Arrow. I think it caught my attention because,

A.) It's a flying wing, which is very cool and offers something totally different from the SCS

B.) It looks fairly easy to build

C.) It's a pusher, so when I inevitably nose it into the ground I shouldn't damage the electronics.

I likely won't be starting to build until sometime this summer (July), so this is very much cart-before-horse. Still, I have a few questions, and I figured I'd ask. Am I on the right track? Is this a good plane for a first build, or as a second plane? Or am I going over my head? Also, regarding electronics...are the FT "power packs" worth it, or are they overpriced? Would I be able to buy what I need separately, for less than FT charges for a power pack?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Going to a Mini Arrow means learning to fly a NON self righting plane - you have to return the plane to straight , level , right-side-up flight using the TX controls . The Mini Arrow will be OK for that , although ( IMHO ) high aspect ratio flying wings are a little more difficult to get "dialed in" for CG and thrust line . And repairing/rebuilding a Mini Arrow after crashing will be a little more work than a simple flat foam plane like this one :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2145562

Or you could buy this one , trace the foam pieces ( to make templates ) before assembly , so you can make as many airframes as you want out of Dollar Store foam board .
http://www.lazertoyz.com/Vortex_p_979.html

Quick Reply