May 26, 2016, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Help!

ESCs and flight controller not communicating properly

I've encountered a problem that I've been stuck on for the past few days and it's beginning to get frustrating. I just want to get this damn thing in the air.

So it's my first build and I'm using the FlySky FS-TH9X and KISS FC.

I've connected the motors and ESCs together and tested them with a servo tester and it works, so no issues there. I then connected them to the FC and the receiver to the FC and that's where the problem seems to lie.

The Rx and Tx bound successfully so I know that the Tx is talking to the Rx but when I go into the KISS GUI and view the 'data output' which shows the values for the throttle, pitch, roll and yaw, nothing shows up when I move the sticks.
It's as if the flight controller isn't communicating properly with the ESCs or the Rx.

I've tried to arm it but that doesn't work either.

Where am I going wrong?
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2016, 05:25 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Did you calibrate the radio to the flight controller?
May 26, 2016, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
Did you calibrate the radio to the flight controller?
Turns out my ESCs were incorrectly connected to the FC. Once I switched them, the ESCs gave 5 beeps as opposed to the 3 beeps I always used to get.

The only thing left is to correctly wire the Rx to the FC.

I haven't done any calibration of sorts. I can't actually arm the quadcopter in order to do the ESC calibrations, probably because I have the Rx setup wrong.
May 26, 2016, 07:08 PM
FPV is not a Crime
You have it set for ppm in the GUI, but you are using PWM. Change that and you should be good to go.
May 27, 2016, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
I've now got yaw, throttle and pitch connected to the right channels and the sliders move in the GUI as I move the sticks. But as soon as I connect roll to CH1 the throttle rapidly switches between min throttle and max throttle. There is also no roll input showing in the GUI as I move the stick. When I remove the roll pin, the throttle goes back to normal.
Here is a video of what I see in the GUI.

Any clues?
May 27, 2016, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Update: I've narrowed it down to the roll pins on the FC as the cause of the problem. I tested the individual channels on the receiver against the pins on the FC and when I connected it to roll, the blue LED on the FC begins to flash. If I move it from roll to either throttle, pitch or yaw, the LED stops flashing.

Does anyone know what the flashing means?

Quick Reply