May 26, 2016, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Diatone Blade 200 - 40 min hover

Hi,

So I had 4 x LG Hg2 3000mah 18650 batteries at home and I thought it would be fun to try building mini quad that uses 18650 batteries instead of lipo.

Since continuous current draw of these batteries is 20A, quad has to be very light in order not to consume to much energy.

So here are the components I used:
- Frame: Diatone Blade 200 (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Frame_Kit.html)
- Motors: V-spec 1304 3100kv (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Motor_CW_.html) Got them on sale for 6$ apiece.
- ESC: LittleBee 20A
- Flight controller: Flip32 10dof
- Props: Gemfan 5030
- Battery: 2s 3000mah (LG Hg2)

Total weight of quad RTF is 202g. In video I added voltage alarm which adds 10g (equivalent to my FPV gear that will get installed later). See attachments.

It managed to hover inside for around 40 min. I forgot to turn on timer and it is so f…ing boring to just hover that I just can’t repeat the test . You can see clock on the wall in background.

Here’s the video:
40 min hover - 2s 18650 battery (LG HG2 3000 mah) (2 min 40 sec)

As you can see at the end of the video quad just falls to the ground, probably something to do with esc or motors not able to work at voltage that low (when landed cell voltage was 3.2V – so a little capacity still left). I couldn’t find option to turn off voltage protection for Littlebee ESCs in BlHeli suite. Maybe somebody else knows how to do it.

I will use quad for slow FPV flying.
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2016, 12:00 AM

Diatone Blade 200 - 40 min hover

212g auw? Thats insane! Please upload a flight video soon!
May 31, 2016, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
I have also installed GPS and will install fpv gear in following days. hopefully I will be able to fly this weekend. I am not really a good flyer but I am egger to see how long will it last actually flying and not just hovering...
Last edited by decoddeki; May 31, 2016 at 05:55 PM.
Jun 30, 2016, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoddeki
I have also installed GPS and will install fpv gear in following days. hopefully I will be able to fly this weekend. I am not really a good flyer but I am egger to see how long will it last actually flying and not just hovering...
Update please!
Jun 30, 2016, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Broke my leg kitesurfing :/, so haven't been able to fly it outside. I will update as soon as possible.
Jul 03, 2016, 03:26 PM
Feel well, man!
We will wait for more updates

Are you able to flip the drone with this battery?
I've got lots of 18650s I would happily use for this cause, you just took a normal setup drone and connected this battery? no modifications?

Thanks!
Jul 03, 2016, 04:13 PM
Note the batteries used are rated for 20A continuous discharge.
Unfortunately, not all 18650 are of this quality. . .

But I'm wondering what is the "standard" rating ?
Jul 03, 2016, 04:25 PM
I've seen so many kinds of 18650s you won't believe it...
I found that the most valuables come from laptop batteries that come from high quality models, the Atom crappy ones don't even deserve the hassle...
I have a couple of high quality batteries that supply ~2000mHa (some hold 600, crappy ones can't even hold 200...), the question is, how do I test their discharge rating without risking of burning down my house?
I normally discharge these on 0.1A to see how much they hold
Sep 21, 2016, 11:30 AM
Updates?
Sep 22, 2016, 01:12 AM
Thread OP
Unfortunately I only got to fly it once because of my work and newly developed love for micro brushed FPV quads

I flew it LOS (angle) with two packs of 2s 18650. Around 70% throttle most of time (stock iNav PIDs) it flew for around 20min (sorry don’t have video). Probably could get more with proper PIDs (turns are quite jittery). It hovered at around 30-35% throttle. After 20min it just falls out of sky, battery still having some juice (5min after flight 3.1V per cell). Flying weight around 215g (GPS and FPV gear installed on quad).

Battery and motors were warm to touch. Changed ESCs from LittleBee to DYS and motors get warmer on DYS ESCs.
After that I tried it on 3s lipo. Loved it so much more …will probably try 3s 18650 next.
If you have any questions or tests you would like me to run on quad just ask, will try to find time
Sep 24, 2016, 06:50 AM
Nice work! Did you compare flight time on 3s? I'm interested in building one of these with a tubular frame.
Sep 26, 2016, 03:47 AM
Thread OP
Didn't compare it since i only tried 3s lipo to see how it flys on 3s. I have two packs of 18650 2s, will have to resolder them to make one 3s pack. When I do, I will definitely test flight time.
Oct 20, 2016, 10:16 PM
Team Warpsquad!!!
I am extremely impressed! You built a very similar build to what I have been thinking about, and you proved exactly what I had in mind! Well done!

Now, to order parts...

Quick Reply