to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2016, 04:04 AM
Arr pieces of foam me hearties
Thread OP
And the rest...

was a good morning, nothing came to grief. Well Ken's skipper wing nearly came off but no harm done.

Kwaz
Jun 26, 2016, 04:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk
Those of you with Skippers, I've been thinking about getting one as always to tick a float plane off the list. Is it something you only fly once or twice and then park up or is an every weekend sort of fun model to fly?
LesterPK, I maidened mine to day. Get one, nuff said.....

Kwaz
Jun 26, 2016, 05:11 AM
Look out for the mothership
Thanks Kwaz for the nice Cat photos. It is wonderful to see it flying with the floats retracted. . Some good shots of the others as well, especially the Besson. I think we have three more Skipper/Polaris converts.
Jun 26, 2016, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaziithepirate
LesterPK, I maidened mine to day. Get one, nuff said.....

Kwaz
Cheers, birthday next month so I'll add one to the list. Then I'll have to come find you guys one weekend.
Jun 26, 2016, 08:14 AM

Three maidens: the video

Here it is...the Skipper/Polaris maidens. Second two take offs were a bit scary but these amazing planes just pull through where many would crash. All three pilots were very pleased with their machines.

Three Skipper-Polaris maidens (2 min 52 sec)
Jun 26, 2016, 09:26 AM
nice photos everyone and great video Waz.

Waz, were there any more good ones from the Sikorsky flybys?

I just took one photo early on in the morning, just before we lost the bright sunlight. What a fantastic morning and location for seaplane flying.
(And great company of course)
Last edited by Wormboy; Jun 26, 2016 at 09:35 AM.
Jun 26, 2016, 06:25 PM
absolutely maybe
Congratulations to all that had their maiden flights with their Skippers and Polaris, it looked like a great morning was had by all, had I known earlier everyone was flying at the lake I would have come along, oh well.....next time!

Regards
Ian
Jun 26, 2016, 07:14 PM
Pity you couldnt get down Ian.
My default this time of year is the lake. If its good weather and I am free of family commitments then I'll be there.
Jun 26, 2016, 10:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
Pity you couldnt get down Ian.
My default this time of year is the lake. If its good weather and I am free of family commitments then I'll be there.
Hey Matt, What are those control rod connectors you showed me called (mini-somethings). Also do you know if its possible/easy to convert a mode 1 taranis to mode 2?

thanks
Kwaz
Jun 26, 2016, 10:46 PM
Certified User
To say I'm envious of you guys is a major understatement!

Congratulations on the maidens, love the Besson and the Cat! The conditions looked absolutely glorious!

I get back to Perth on Thursday and hope to remaiden my now-float-bearing Top Dawg and see if the Mini Drake flies on the weekend. This will probably be my only chance for a fly before we head off to Tassie for the winter. I'll need to spend some workshop time making my Wisel a bit more travel friendly. Got it all worked out in my mind so shouldn't be too difficult.

Hope to catch up with you all on the weekend!

Cheers
Geoff
Jun 26, 2016, 11:37 PM
We did miss you Geoff. The crowd we had was fun but more is always merrier. Hopefully the weather plays nice next weekend for a repeat performance. Besson phots make it look good. Truth is that its still untrimmed and a bit of a pig to fly. We'll get there yet

Kwaz, you're looking for a Dubro mini EZ connector.
Yes, taranis can be swapped from mode 1 to mode 2 but i have never done it myself. Ive done a turnigy 9x and that was a piece of cake. Taranis looks like its even easier.
Jun 27, 2016, 06:13 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thanks for the great pics , vid and friendly, welcoming atmosphere. Cheers to Mat too for the intro to the Polaris and help with building and setup advice., it was a little hairy at first, and those throws are a bit beyond my flying ability, but what a delight to fly off water. I've had a hankering to do that for longer than I've been flying R/C - which is a lot longer than might be surmised from that take-off (!) and can thoroughly recommend it if you are undecided!
Jun 27, 2016, 07:20 AM

WB's Sikorsky and more Beeson

Some more photos for you Mat. Unfortunately the best-framed shots were out of focus, but these are nice and sharp.

On another subject, Kwaz's fourth photo of my Cat is a classic example of how you can lose orientation with it. Without zooming in it really looks to me as though it is turning towards me, but is actually heading away!
Jun 27, 2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks Waz, they are great.
Any chance i could get some higher res versions of the last two?

Welcome to the club Tim (Mk9). Now that the polaris is a success you'll be looking for a new project. I've got plenty of ideas and plans if you want one

Quick Reply