Jun 15, 2016, 07:18 AM
Look out for the mothership
Sorry to read about the Beech
Reversed ailerons is a classic re-jigging or re-programming error. No matter how often you normally check, it is the time that you don't when it gets you! I'm planning on changing over to a Taranis as well so thanks for the warning.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2016, 04:15 AM
Arr pieces of foam me hearties
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaz
Sorry to read about the Beech
Reversed ailerons is a classic re-jigging or re-programming error. No matter how often you normally check, it is the time that you don't when it gets you! I'm planning on changing over to a Taranis as well so thanks for the warning.
Yep been there done that. Just had to reverse all of my servos on the skipper. Almost ready, just needs that elevator horn attachment and some trim adjustments. Had to change the location of the ESC to get my 1500 battery to balance. Its now on a custom lite ply mount on the side of the fuselage further back.

New LG mount for the Diamante now glued on, just some cosmetic painting then its back on the flightline too. Use a piece of aluminium plate to supplement the lite ply that broke last time. Found out why I crashed it last time out. I had to use my DX6i and guessed 70% low rates. When I got my DX9 back I found I had it on 40%. No wonder it was waaaaay too pitchy.

Front gear of sea vixen fixed up (de-mudded).

progress on all fronts, now for that bixler and boomerang.....

Kwaz
Jun 16, 2016, 09:08 AM
Certified User
Sorry to hear about the Beech WB! Just shows you're human.

Waz, I found when transferring my models from er9x to Taranis, the inputs in particular were messed up. I ended up checking the programming front to back as a result.

Given that the Taranis has 3 position switches everywhere instead of 2 position on the Turnigy, and handles instant trim differently, it makes sense to use your er9x models as templates only, then ramp 'em up to make use of the Taranis' extra features.
Jun 17, 2016, 04:00 AM
Registerd Beaver
Sorry to hear about the Beech WB.
That is a nice looking unit. Hopefully a bit of time in the repair shop will bring it back.

- Phil
Jun 17, 2016, 05:55 AM
Thanks all,
Yeah i was pretty disappointed given it was such an avoidable crash.
I will certainlg repair it, i reckon there is about 10-15 hrs of repair work in it to get it back to pristine.

I reckon it is a project for after the Mavis considering i will be focussed on float flying for the next few months at least.

Speaking of the Mavis, i managed to sink about 30hrs into it over the last 10 day. Although you'd never know to look at it.
I am having continuing brown out problems with the esc BECs and its even not that reliable with a couple of 3A becs. Going to just oversize the main flight power source with a 10a castle creations bec and have an auxiliary 3A bec for the lights and flap servos.
The problems were surfacing when all 4 flap servos fired at once. I think its just a momentary high amp draw but still enough to crash the little bec with everything else running.
Lots of gremlins in a system as complex as this.
Jun 17, 2016, 06:39 AM
Yeah, lots of electronics/electrics there to keep fed. What are the chances of a calm morning this weekend?
Jun 17, 2016, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Yeah, lots of electronics/electrics there to keep fed. What are the chances of a calm morning this weekend?
Pretty slim chances if you believe seabreeze.
Jun 23, 2016, 04:19 AM
Thread OP
Sunday is looking promising. Lake then field??? I have a skipper to maiden
Jun 23, 2016, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaziithepirate
Sunday is looking promising. Lake then field??? I have a skipper to maiden
Sounds like a good plan to me. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Jun 23, 2016, 07:13 AM
Those of you with Skippers, I've been thinking about getting one as always to tick a float plane off the list. Is it something you only fly once or twice and then park up or is an every weekend sort of fun model to fly?
Jun 23, 2016, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk
Those of you with Skippers, I've been thinking about getting one as always to tick a float plane off the list. Is it something you only fly once or twice and then park up or is an every weekend sort of fun model to fly?
It is certainly not a 1 hit wonder.

Ive had my polaris (scratchbuild of the arf skipper) out almost every time I've been flying for the last 4 years. Best plane in my hangar and I've never been tired of it yet. It has at least 3x as many flights as its closest rival

I highly recommend it. Im sure that anyone who owns one will give a glowing review.
Jun 23, 2016, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Sounds like a good plan to me. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Sounds good Kwaz, hopefully the weather and family will cooperate for me.
Pehaps we can discuss the repairs needed to your fixer-uppers.
Waz, I thought you be over at Oshkosh by now. I'm looking forward to seeing the cat retracts in operation. I still have to properly maiden the besson and my work mate Tim has a Polaris scratchbuild which may be ready for maiden too. Busy day at the lake

Lesterpk, if you want to see a skipper or polaris in action, stop by the lake when we're there. There is sure to be at least one flying around.
Jun 24, 2016, 06:17 AM
Fingers crossed for Sunday. Its been 3 wks no flying. Getting withdrawals. Osh still a few weeks away.
Jun 26, 2016, 04:01 AM
Thread OP
Nice one Waz, some more to add to the collection.

I'll start with the Besson.

Kwaz

Quick Reply