Jul 27, 2001, 05:27 AM
Thread OP

flying soarstar on floats

I just installed floats on my soarstar. I have never flown float planes before and appreciate any advice I can get on flying techniques, etc
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2001, 10:04 AM
Registered Snoozer
Wingo/Soarstar flies great off of floats, but there are a few things you need to be aware of:

1. Don't try it unless there's little or no wind. Those big polyhedral wingtips act like sails, and if the plane gets turned cross ways to the wind, it has a tendency to flip over.

2. Use oil or grease on the control rods at the points where they exit the plastic tubes. They have a tendency to rust and stick after a few water flights unless you make sure they are protected and move freely.

3. Try to get all your electronics as high up in the fuse as you can (velcro to the "ceiling"), and wrap your esc and rx in plastic.

4. As far as the flying itself, just taxi out into the water, cut the motor and let the plane swing around into the wind (the rudder acts like a weather vane), then hit the throttle. The take off run will be a bit longer than on land because the plane has to "get up on step" on the floats before it will start moving fast enough to lift off. Once this happens (it will be obvious), just give a blip of up elevator, and you'll be airborne.

Have fun!

Neil
Jul 27, 2001, 11:33 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Having flown my Wingo many times off my lake and flipped it too many times let me give you a few tips.
1. the wingo/soarstar with floats will pitch uo the nose and stall if you cut power too quick. Make all your power changes gradually.

2. your battery will last approximately 25% less than on land, remember this or you could be way out in the lake when you are forced to land and not have enough power to taxi back to shore.

3. when landing do not cut your power and flare out as on land. You will stall, crash and probably tip over. Come in under power and fly it onto the water only cutting your power when full contact with the water and floats is made.

4. when and not if your plane tips over you can get it to shore by running the motor slowly but you can't steer very well. Having a boat around helps, I bought a rubber raft, but use my hip waders more often.

5 practice touch and goes, and as Neil said watch the wind. A good rule of thumb is if the water is choppy, don't fly.

6. I've had all of the above happen and I still love it!!

Good luck and enjoy, remember the nose will really pitch up when you cut power, try it when you are high enough.

Regards,
Pete
Jul 28, 2001, 07:37 AM
I don't really have anything new to add as far as tips. I just wanted to say that I put floats on mine the other day for the first time and had a blast. I have been meaning to do this for over a year and finally did it.

Regards,

Jeff
http://home.earthlink.net/~jsmeyers/index.html

Quick Reply