Nov 07, 2018, 10:56 PM
The D-17 is a very nice flying F5D design, longer tail moment and more wing span than D05/6.
I had to add 75 grams to make official weight (1000g). I already gave my folder set up using the 1112 1y neumotor, 5.2 gear box, 1500mah 5cell Dinogy 70C and Marcel Schlage 12x25 saw blade prop with 19mm spinner/yoke. This set up will run 180mph +, now Sean you are going to have to make your mind up, do you want the "Slippery Old Man Fun Flyer" that I suggested prop size for you, or do you want to race ? If you want to push your 1112 1Y direct drive using three cell that you already have to 170-180 mph and 100 amps then try APC 5.25x6.25 and repitch to 6.5" and clip to 5" length or graupner 5.2x5.2 and repitch similar to 6.5".
I only gave you a prop choice in the 140-150mph range because that's what I thought you wanted. The plane you have comes light just as you desired but what is your end game?
The rules for F5D allow 5 cell max so that's what we run along with direct drive motors that range from 2100kv to 2400kv or geared motors just like you have the beginning of.
The motor you have will do either job, comes down to battery and prop and the speed you feel comfortable flying.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2018, 12:15 AM
One more thought on 3 cell and 1112 1y, If you decide the day calls for high speed then the
APC 5.25x6.25 clipped to 5" and raise the timing. Steve recommends low (0) timing but if you feel the need for speed on occasion then change the timing to 3,4 or 5 and since you probably are not running the F5D 1000W limiter and trying to complete 10 laps, you can adjust to suit.
Nov 08, 2018, 02:47 AM
To Slip is Divine
I suppose I want the original SOMFF concept, as I won't be flying 1/2 way across the Pacific just to run in some club races. I just figured I could get it a bit faster than is actually (without cooking my motor) realistic. I'm comfortable with 200+ mph, but think I'd honestly rather fly it a bit more like an airplane than like a true pylon racer or a 10 second speed dasher. Which is why I'm wavering on power options at this point. Not to mention shying away from NEU after the nasty surprise on an exchange/upgrade.
Nov 12, 2018, 09:23 AM

Maga 16/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU
Savneo,

To the left of the caliper (in the above picture), I see a label on your plane.
What’s the story/details on that?

G.
Hi sorry for the late reply, the label on the plane (16/50F3S) is one of my own to differentiate the 3 different Avioniks I had at the time. The "F3S" label was to remind me that it was the fastest Avionik I had at the time.
Nov 12, 2018, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAlexander
I suppose I want the original SOMFF concept, as I won't be flying 1/2 way across the Pacific just to run in some club races. I just figured I could get it a bit faster than is actually (without cooking my motor) realistic. I'm comfortable with 200+ mph, but think I'd honestly rather fly it a bit more like an airplane than like a true pylon racer or a 10 second speed dasher. Which is why I'm wavering on power options at this point. Not to mention shying away from NEU after the nasty surprise on an exchange/upgrade.
Nasty surprise?

Not sure what that refers to. If someone pile drives Avionik into the ground they can get a new one for a 40% discount. The replacement motor needs to be of similar type to the one turned in---no you can't exchange a crashed 0707 for a 8057

Exchanges/upgrades are not really something we offer on used items as the motors turned in are not something that can be resold.

Steve Neu
Nov 12, 2018, 12:45 PM
To Slip is Divine

But My Neu....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
Nasty surprise?

Not sure what that refers to. If someone pile drives Avionik into the ground they can get a new one for a 40% discount. The replacement motor needs to be of similar type to the one turned in---no you can't exchange a crashed 0707 for a 8057

Exchanges/upgrades are not really something we offer on used items as the motors turned in are not something that can be resold.

Steve Neu
Steve,

I understand and those policies makes perfect sense to me. However, what I described in this RC groups thread last week is not really addressed by your reply. I fear you might not be familiar with the specifics of my actual "case".

The Neu motor in question is still brand-new in its original box After calling Neu Motors and speaking to the recommended company representative in customer service, I was offered a 35% credit for it as an exchange. What I was asking for on that call was to have a 5.2:1 gearbox retrofitted on my brand-new Neu 1112 1Y S 3.2 -OR- to exchange/upgrade it to a 1115 series, or otherwise something better suited to my D17 with a quiet folding prop or large fixed-blade "airplane" setup. (Trying to avoid a screaming prop like I would get with 1112 1Y that is currently sitting here in its box.)

Based on your reply above, the implication is that if I solder connectors on it at some point in the future, then install it in my Avionik and then proceed to pile-drive it into the ground, it's current new core value will actually increase by 5%. Perhaps now you understand why I might be a bit unsettled by the proposed exchange?

Maximum Respect,
-Sean Alexander
Last edited by SeanAlexander; Nov 12, 2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Endless typos.
Nov 12, 2018, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAlexander

The Neu motor in question is still brand-new in its original box After calling Neu Motors and speaking to the recommended company representative in customer service, I was offered a 35% credit for it as an exchange. What I was asking for on that call was to have a 5.2:1 gearbox retrofitted on my brand-new Neu 1112 1Y S 3.2 -OR- to exchange/upgrade it to a 1115 series, or otherwise something better suited to my D17 with a quiet folding prop or large fixed-blade "airplane" setup. (Trying to avoid a screaming prop like I would get with 1112 1Y that is currently sitting here in its box.)

Maximum Respect,
-Sean Alexander
The cases and rotors are different between the direct drive motors and the geared version motors --about all that can be saved is the stator and it has to be cut out of the old case---with some risk of damaging it. In the end it is less effort to just make a new motor rather than trying to save components.

As far as an exchange to a 1115 direct drive for a NIB 1112 Lisa could arrange something there.

Steve
Nov 13, 2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Savneo,

If you still recall, please post the prop size and cell count as well.

Gryphon
Dec 29, 2018, 10:33 AM
following! What fantastic ships these are.
Dec 30, 2019, 05:31 PM

D17 build

Hello fellow speedster, I'm working on my d17. Thanks Tim for your advice, this article and your YouTube videos. I made a tray similar to yours that sits on a shelf which has a front lip to stop it from sliding back. I put antennae tubes since the fuse is carbon fiber kevlar blend. I went with with high voltage servos that can run on a 2s 300mAh 8.4v batteries my frisky receiver can go up to 10v. This small battery fits below the tray. The power plant is an HET Typhoon 1W40-3300kv, Truturn 30mm spinner, APC 4.75x5.5. I purchased ab RDQ..race day quad..5S 2200 mAH battery. My intention was to split it into 3S and a 2S but the recommended ESC for this power set-up is a 200A . So I purchased a 200A Castle Creation Phoenix lite with the heat sink removed. A 2s would not fit under the ESC so I filleted the battery and sliding one cell underneath the ESC. I'm sure an 1800mAh battery will be easier but I want the flight time. I'm not a pylon racer, but enjoy ripping the skies. Oh there's tray will be secured with two screws on the sides holding it down to the shelf. I purchased the plane from Soaring USA. Absolutely no instructions other than this article. I kind of followed you layout of the vent holes. OK, speedsters, this is my first f5d build, what do you think? Oh, for now I'm just going to run clear packing tape over the servos.
Jan 17, 2020, 10:32 AM
"Have that removed!"
Thread OP
Hi Velociraptor1.

Nice build. Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. If you wanted, with the relatively high kV of that motor (3300kV), you could probably also try a conventional 4S battery and either the same prop, or possibly something a little larger like 5.0 x 5.0 or thereabouts. A larger prop and a lighter battery (if you stay with 2200mAh) may make launches a little easier until you get the plane trimmed and used to it. A big wing and a small prop with plenty of power should make launches no problem either way though.

Lookin' good! :-)

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Jan 17, 2020, 11:06 AM
You down with EPP?
I have a brand new, never flown, Lenny built Avionik D16 with a Neu motor and a Castle 100

I am thinking of selling. If anybody is interested. I would sell it for what I have in it.

If anyone wants one and doesn't want to build it, let me know.

I also have a 6s swist RTF (maybe 20 flights) I will let go for just about half the price of the avionik
Jan 17, 2020, 12:45 PM
I did maiden it. It needed one tick of up elevator.....that's it. She flys great, no torque at all but it takes for ever to slow down. I have 6mom of spoilerons and about 1mm of up elevator. I need to reduce the elevator some because it still balloons a bit.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Jan 26, 2020, 05:16 PM
Hi,

Maybe some of you experts can help me: I‘ve gor a D17 with a Mega 16/30/1 on Kontronik 5.2:1 on a Marcel Schlage 11x25 Prop. Flies great with one problem: When I cut off the motor from full throttle, the aircraft keeps pitching up quite violently. 100% throttle in level flight leads to a near-vertical climb after the motor is switched of. There seems to be no noticeable downthrust or sidethrust. I never got anything similar with my Swist pro, Excite or Viper and similar setup. What am I doing wrong?
Jan 26, 2020, 06:35 PM
Do you use a throttle/elevator mix??
It would keep the nose down when you hit the throttle but it would also balloon up pretty bad after you cut the throttle and have all that energy in the airplane

Quick Reply