Thread Tools
Aug 28, 2016, 07:37 PM
Registered User

Givng the girls a workout


Surfing clips of the Suffer Guy teaching the girls how to do a work out on a surfboard
Taken at Canalside Buffalo NY USA
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2016, 09:32 PM
Registered User

RC Surfer # Brushless Setup


Hey, here's my RC Surfer 3 brushless setup. As you can see nothing is stock and it's all waterproof. The board part works great. The Dude figure has been a nightmare. I haven't had a surf session without the figure breaking. In fact haven't made it through an entire battery charge yet with out it breaking... "The Dude". If Kyosho Japan reads this please make a replacement figure out of a rubber material similar to racket ball . Strong yet flexible.
RC Surfer 3 (3 min 40 sec)
Last time out. Since then I repaired his leg and went to funkytown on the shoe goo on all the glue joints. If I break it again I'm gonna fiberglass his limbs on!
Nov 14, 2016, 08:31 AM
Registered User
I've had my surfer since launch. Ran it stock first day and managed to knock off a cooling tube which then roasted my motor. Fast forward a few months of it sitting on the shelf, I installed an Atomik 15t motor as well as a second cooling jacket. Also replaced all the cooling lines. Took it out yesterday for it's second run ever and managed to get one wave before it died out at sea. Had to swim out to get it. Still had steering control but motor is dead and driveshaft is seized. Pop the hatch off and a cloud of smoke fills my face. It burnt the motor wires completely apart.

Disconnect the shaft from the motor and motor still turns, but the shaft is 95% seized in the brass sleeeve. Looks like it's time for a flex shaft upgrade and probably go for brushless while i'm at it. The 15t just wasn't enough for larger surf (2-3+ surf)

edit - forgot to mention the aluminum motor mount had come lose, probably causing the motor to misalign with the shaft and heat up and overloading the motor causing the wires to melt.

edit-just ordered this brushless setup suggested earlier in the thread http://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-36...content=227736
Last edited by tylorr83; Nov 14, 2016 at 01:54 PM.
Jun 23, 2017, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Old post I know, but are you guys still running your surfers? Call me crazy but I'm thinking about buying one. I live in Missouri about as far away from the ocean you can get, but I vacation on the coast of Florida once a year and that's about the only time I'd use it.
Jun 24, 2017, 10:35 AM
Did I make the A Main?
bill_delong's Avatar
yeah I'm in the same situation where our family vacations to the coast once a year as well, plan to bring a few tools, grease, zip ties and foam safe glue, I also went with a 3500mah sub-shorty so I could quickly charge my battery, more info here:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=2382446

I plan to take my surfer back for it's 2nd year trip next month and have started prepping it, can't wait to get more trigger time!
Jun 25, 2017, 06:42 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
yeah I'm in the same situation where our family vacations to the coast once a year as well, plan to bring a few tools, grease, zip ties and foam safe glue, I also went with a 3500mah sub-shorty so I could quickly charge my battery, more info here:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=2382446

I plan to take my surfer back for it's 2nd year trip next month and have started prepping it, can't wait to get more trigger time!

Hey Bill,
I've watched your video a few times both the box opening and surfing and of course all of ur posts on UltRC....thank you for all the info!! I've just taken delivery of my KyoRC 3 and want to go brushless...what do you recommend?

Also, I just bought a LIPO that fits perfectly, 2 cell, $19 on Amazon....wanted to pass along in case you needed a spare...the FLOUREON 2S 7.4V 3300mAh 35C.
Jun 25, 2017, 10:17 PM
Did I make the A Main?
bill_delong's Avatar
I've been tinkering with the idea of going brushless but kind of waiting for the stock motor to go out first. When the time comes, I think I'll probably go with something like this combo here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-3...oAAOSwWxNYq6H0
Jul 07, 2017, 10:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
I've been tinkering with the idea of going brushless but kind of waiting for the stock motor to go out first. When the time comes, I think I'll probably go with something like this combo here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-3...oAAOSwWxNYq6H0
Hey Bill,

I just bought the hobby king 36mm motor in pic below and wanted ask if you or Krieka know if 90amp hobbywing esc would be enough or is the 120 better? Probably stick with the 2 cell LIPO as they fit but maybe 3 cell..?? I'm also wondering if the 120 would fit in the Surfer 3????

Thank you soooo much !!!!
Jul 07, 2017, 10:26 AM
Registered User
**** PS: meant 60 amp not 90.... Pic has stats for each...
Jul 07, 2017, 10:53 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Oceansun,

Please, use a link in stead of a screenshot, way easier for us to see which motor and ESC you're looking at:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/s3650-33...0kv-15-5t.html

Is there room for a watercooling jacket? As this motor will get hot without one...

Given that the max Amps for this motor is 59A, doesn't mean it won't draw a lot more when the situatio asks for it; getting out of the hole and accelerating after a turn can easily draw twice that much, your ESC will have to cope with that.

If it fits (bulky design) I'd go for this one, a rebranded Flycolor 90A:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...c-4a-sbec.html

Regards, Jan.
Jul 07, 2017, 11:40 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
Hi Oceansun,

Please, use a link in stead of a screenshot, way easier for us to see which motor and ESC you're looking at:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/s3650-33...0kv-15-5t.html

Is there room for a watercooling jacket? As this motor will get hot without one...

Given that the max Amps for this motor is 59A, doesn't mean it won't draw a lot more when the situatio asks for it; getting out of the hole and accelerating after a turn can easily draw twice that much, your ESC will have to cope with that.

If it fits (bulky design) I'd go for this one, a rebranded Flycolor 90A:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...c-4a-sbec.html

Regards, Jan.

Jan,
Thank You!! Wow, that was quick and I really appreciate it!! The motor was a great deal as I got it for $35 w free shipping and it is different from the link you sent....its actually this one:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/watercoo...___store=en_us

And, I'm pretty sure it will fit as Kreika has it in his above post #33 And in his review vid on YouTube....The max amps though are much higher so thought the 120 esc was advised...
Jul 07, 2017, 11:45 AM
Registered User
The max amps on the Watercooled Brushless Inrunner 3660SL 3180kv are 94amps on 18 v I assume.. Is there a formula to calc amp assuming a 12.6 volt 3 cell or 2 cell?
Jul 07, 2017, 11:46 AM
Registered User
The YouTube link to Kreika's video is below:
RC Surfer 3 (10 min 0 sec)
Jul 07, 2017, 05:50 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi OS,

Your screenshot said a 3650 3300Kv motor, with a lower ampdraw.
The 3660 3180Kv draws a lot more current, but if Kreika gets away with a 60A ESC (he sais it's a 60A ESC, but in the comment below, it's suddenly a 120A, which makes more sense), you should have no issues with the 120A Flycolor (provided it'll fit).

Smaller but more expensive:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-boat-esc.html
If the surfer isn't 100% watertight, close off the shrinkwrap on this ESC, or the fun will be short lived.

The formula to use is VxA=W
With the 1690Watt from the specs at 18V you're looking at 94A
The lower the Voltage, the higher the Ampdraw, to get at the same Wattage.

But, as you're not looking to get the same wattage at a lower Voltage (by mounting a much larger prop, for example), a 120A ESC should suffice.

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; Jul 07, 2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Confused by data in video...
Oct 02, 2017, 11:53 AM
Registered User
strat10's Avatar
Bought the Surfer 3 and for some reason it sat on the shelf for a month. Decided to take it out this weekend, and I have to say Im hooked. So awesome.

I just ran a 2cell lipo on the stock motor/ESC and everything worked awesome. No need for more power than that if you are just surfing with it. Took it out in about 3 foot waves, and it had plento of power/speed to get me out of any situation.

Very cool, very fun, highly recomended.

Kyosho Surfer 3 maiden voyage (0 min 33 sec)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools