Jun 06, 2016, 05:10 AM
Here is my 4-star
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2016, 02:09 PM
That seems to have gone smoothly so far! What color is it going to be?
Jun 06, 2016, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggroyal1117
Here is my 4-star
Don't believe it! I mean, have you ever seen this plane at the field?
Jun 06, 2016, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
Don't believe it! I mean, have you ever seen this plane at the field?
I think I saw it there once.
Jun 06, 2016, 04:44 PM
FlyBilly
Must be a hangar queen
Jun 08, 2016, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Tonight I covered the bottom of the wings, and the wingtips. I also painted the cockpit area black, using those same cheap acrylics I painted the pilot figurine with. Should help the pilot stand out from the fuselage.
Most of the covering so far I'm very happy with, though there is one spot around the wing bolt plate that didn't go too well. The RCG build threads said to cover that plywood bit first, then glue it on, but I followed the instructions with the kit and glued it on in advance, because I wanted to be sure I drilled the bolt hole right, and it's the guide essentially. RCG was right again I guess. Still, it's not that big a deal, the covering is secure enough, and its on the bottom, with the bolt there it was gonna be a draggy spot anyways ;-)
I've cut out the servo holes already, since I figure that way when i cover the top of the wings tomorrow or whatever, the heated air inside can escape that way. Supposedly that's a thing. Also the aileron extensions are already in, so no fishing stuff through later.
If I'm able to get some done on it the rest of the week, I might have it ready to fly very soon. doubt it would be this weekend, but almost certainly next weekend.

Now I'm on the lookout for the next kit to build. I think what I'd like the best, is a .25 or .30 size twin engine sport plane. Something with a 60" or less wingspan, 2 motors, and preferably, trike gear.
I'm aware of a couple out of print kits like this, the pica duellist, pilot twin ace, midwest dual stick...
A couple boutique maker kits too, alien aircraft, brodak, rich utravich, all make something like a cessna 310, which is pretty close, but in all cases there, they go too scale, and makes the build a lot of "here's a big block of wood, carve out your plane".
Great planes makes the twinstar EP, which is just about right, but only in an ARF. The K&A OV-10 Bronco looks pretty sweet too.
I'm hesitant to jump into a boutique or plan build or short kit though. I'm new to this, and while I'm really digging it, i don't want to get in too far over my head.
Anyways, the search continues. If I do give in an get an arf or PNP instead, the Dynam grand cruiser is cheap, and available nearby at grayson :-)
Meantime, i do have a great big 60 size biplane i got on ebay a while back which I haven't touched yet other than to open the box and get all scared :-p
Last edited by buhatkj; Jun 08, 2016 at 09:46 AM.
Jun 08, 2016, 09:35 AM
looking good
Jun 09, 2016, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
covered the top of one wing last night, and saw a little bit of warping. the open framework without sheeting I think maybe makes these wings more vulnerable to this. Also y'know I'm new at this :-p
I heated the bottom covering, which reduced it somewhat. Then put weights on top to hold it flat, and heated the top covering too. I don't have a heat gun, just using my iron. I'll check on it tonight and hopefully the warping is gone, but if not Ken suggested purposely twisting it slightly the opposite way it was warping and using some more heat to stretch it back the way it needs to go.
hopefully one way or another I can get most of the warping out.
I think what likely went wrong is i probably had the iron too hot while applying the covering, and it shrunk some before it was all tacked down.
I know what this causes now, so maybe on the other wing i can avoid it.
Jun 10, 2016, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
Tonight went well. I checked on the wing I had covered last night, and the warp seemed to be gone. So, I covered the top of the other wing, being more careful about the iron temperature when tacking, and went a little more carefully, to avoid needing to do nearly as much shrinking to get a tight fit.
Since the iron was already hot, I kept going, and covered the fin, rudder, battery hatch, and the fuselage. That all went pretty well, other than some wrinkled covering on the turtle deck. I got it well tacked, shrunk it best I could, but it's still a little loose at the one end, and tbh i don't think there's a ton i can do other than to strip that part of and re-cover, but i'm not sure it's worth it.
I've killed most of the first roll of towerkote film. There's many small scraps left, but no large enough pieces to finish the ailerons, stabilizer, and elevator that remain, so,looks like it's time to break into the next roll!

the other day i hooked up all the electronic gear for this plane on the bench to see if it all worked, and it did, so I can install some of that now too.
Jun 10, 2016, 06:22 AM
T-Squared
Looking great! Don't rush the last few bits in the excitement to finish - you are almost there.
Jun 11, 2016, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
I did a bunch of things today, i got a good part of the afternoon and evening to build.
  • Painted the cowl red, used krylon fusion "red pepper", which is a plastic-friendly spray paint I've used a lot for robot stuff in the past.
  • Covered the stabilizer, elevator, and ailerons.
  • Hinged and installed all the control surfaces.
  • Installed the pilot and canopy.
  • Measured, pinned, glued and clamped the stabilizer to the fuselage.
All went very well, a lot of pretty simple tasks really. The only thing i found that wasn't so great was the CA hinges that come with the kit are junk. The fuzzy bit pulls away from the plastic core very easily. Fortunately I had some dubro or great planes (forget which) hinge fabric stuff on hand, and just cut some of that to size to replace them. That worked great.

Last to go on will be the fin and rudder, motor mount, and landing gear, and then the airframe is pretty much done.
:-)
Jun 11, 2016, 11:42 PM
Maiden next weekend? (George, are you going to bring your Four Star out next week????)
Jun 12, 2016, 02:57 PM
Thread OP
yeh it will probably be ready for that!
Jun 13, 2016, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Got a bit more done the other day. I installed the fin and rudder, the landing gear, and the elevator and rudder servos, control horns, and linkages. The control linkages use a very thin gauge of wire, and interestingly they don't really work properly at all unless both ends of the nylon pushrod tube are well secured. In the back they are glued to the sides of the fuselage where they exit, in the front I added a pair of balsa sticks from scrap material and sandwiched the tubes in there, and they are glued in place with CA. Once I'm sure ts had a chance to set up, ill have to test it carefully, because this is a bit that cant come loose or i'd loose the ability to pull up, or turn left. to be honest, if it were me, I'd consider it a positive design change to always make pulling up the "pull" on the elevator, for just this reason. Push rods always work reliably in pull not always in push if they are not stiff enough.
Next will be to install the aileron servos, which should be quick, and the motor.

Today the picture has a bonus monkey in the background :-p
Jun 13, 2016, 01:52 PM
Making the 'pull' movement drive the up elevator would mean placing the control horn on top. So, for ascetic reasons, it's normally done the other way around. Of course, sometimes being able to input down elevator is just as critical, so really, it just needs to work well in both directions anyway.

A good pre-flight test is to push lightly against the surface with your finger while moving the sticks on the transmitter. The amount of force you use, of course, proportional to the size and speed of the aircraft - in your case, maybe just the weight of your finger alone. Also, with maybe twice that force, tug directly backward on the surface to make sure the hinges are still solid. IMHO, you should do this second test at least once a month because hinges do wear - especially CA hinges.

Quick Reply