Nov 06, 2017, 02:54 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Kemosabi
I dont see the point in buying weak plastic hulls especially ones with known issues on quality save your money and go buy a bare glass hull from a good builder and build something built to last .You get what you pay for in this sport , plastic is for cheap toys pure and simple .
Sure, for the purist
All I'm after is just some simple fun, it will never be raced, I'll probably never even throw more than 4 cell at it.
The shortfalls for me personally is insignificant, it's a cheap bit of fun, suits me
If I was planning this to be an entry race boat, then I'd expect results proportionate to what I paid for... in this, I agree with you 100%
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 05:45 AM
Truth is you can pick up a bare glass hull for about the same it would cost for a bare plastic hull from most manufacturers, its not just racers that use glass hulls.Fact is a glass hull will last you years of use rather than a few months or dare i say it hrs as has been shown with this one. What do you do if the wind gets up and the water gets choppy stop playing ? that to me is not fun .The most fun part of running fast boats is wave jumping or running over your own wake , not to be advised with this boat by all accounts .Why not pick up a pursuit hull you can get those for a reasonable cost and they run superbly well in most conditions .To me its a no brainer,buy cheap you get cheap and pay twice as much in the long run .
Nov 07, 2017, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Truth is you can pick up a bare glass hull for about the same it would cost for a bare plastic hull from most manufacturers, its not just racers that use glass hulls.Fact is a glass hull will last you years of use rather than a few months or dare i say it hrs as has been shown with this one. What do you do if the wind gets up and the water gets choppy stop playing ? that to me is not fun .The most fun part of running fast boats is wave jumping or running over your own wake , not to be advised with this boat by all accounts .Why not pick up a pursuit hull you can get those for a reasonable cost and they run superbly well in most conditions .To me its a no brainer,buy cheap you get cheap and pay twice as much in the long run .
You can spend easily $800 putting together a tfl 33" pursuit building from bare hull, same as a df33" etc... for $150 like these inceptions currently are, I wouldn't buy one as I'm a long time fe guy, but my buddy a few states away got one from my recommendation, and hes is having a ball with it... yes things will need to be addressed but that's part of the hobby!
Nov 08, 2017, 08:16 AM
I built a pursuit from scracth that did over 60 mph total cost including hull was around 350 thats $450 so if your throwing $800 into one thats up to you but i know it can be done for a lot less than that having built one a few years back . Currently i only run big boats having got bored of the small stuff ,now thats where the big money goes lol.
Ill never buy a plastic boat period,glass or carbon all the way for me ,yes the cost of the hull is more but you have to pay for quality and i dont see the point in wasting money on cheap plastic for anything you want to go fast,each to his own but ive yet to have a hull come apart on me so ill stick to quality.
Last edited by Apache Kemosabi; Nov 08, 2017 at 08:21 AM.
Nov 08, 2017, 12:07 PM
I recently finished a HK Pursuit I only changed out the drive to 1 piece shaft, motor upgrade, 180ESC and a prop, thats it, small upgrade investment and Im running 56mph & there is a little more in it I think

I have more fun with this boat than my others, it likes the weight of big batteries and thats perfect for jumping waves, It would be hard to find people that dont like how this hull handles...frankly its handles so well it gets boring on 4s to me so I installed a 4082 1600kv to run 6s and now its exciting
Nov 08, 2017, 12:19 PM
Resistance is futile
I love the performance and handling of my HK Pursuits although the one with the Leopard 4074-2150 kv and M445 prop on 4s still scares me a bit
Nov 08, 2017, 12:45 PM
There is definitely a market for ABS hulls...look at how well the Spartan sells

The m41 sells well too

Plus, the fact the Spartan can go 50+ on a 80amp esc on 6s is pretty remarkable
Nov 08, 2017, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPropsRacing
I recently finished a HK Pursuit I only changed out the drive to 1 piece shaft, motor upgrade, 180ESC and a prop, thats it, small upgrade investment and Im running 56mph & there is a little more in it I think

I have more fun with this boat than my others, it likes the weight of big batteries and thats perfect for jumping waves, It would be hard to find people that dont like how this hull handles...frankly its handles so well it gets boring on 4s to me so I installed a 4082 1600kv to run 6s and now its exciting
Yea i had a 4092 1600 kv in mine bit overkill but on 6s it ran 62 mph and i think it had more in it but i never got to try many props out on it ,i sold the boat to a friend a few years back and he loved it .
Nov 14, 2017, 04:25 PM
Quote:
I built a pursuit from scracth that did over 60 mph total cost including hull was around 350 thats $450 so if your throwing $800 into one thats up to you but i know it can be done for a lot less than that having built one a few years back . Currently i only run big boats having got bored of the small stuff ,now thats where the big money goes lol.
Ill never buy a plastic boat period,glass or carbon all the way for me ,yes the cost of the hull is more but you have to pay for quality and i dont see the point in wasting money on cheap plastic for anything you want to go fast,each to his own but ive yet to have a hull come apart on me so ill stick to quality.
Well if I'm gonna build one I build them with high end gear, these folks buying these are buying them for fun... they don't live, breathe and sleep FE boats... trust me I know big boats and cost I've built just a few of those also, I've had a few boats in excess of $5k build costs and have owned over 400 FE boats and built MANY of them anyway if folks wanna be crazy like me they'll build the boat but this boat is for someone who wants a cheap, decent size boat to toss batts in and have fun... just a sample of some of my boats the big 60" red one is Lehner 3080 powered the big yellow cat has twin neu 2230's and schulze 40-160 v16's... the big motor I'm holding in pic is the massive TP100 25000 watt (34hp) motor and flier 800a esc, that power system alone costs as much as 17 of these boats fact is everyone has their own wants and needs the inception is a great boat for those who want to have fun in the hobby but not live by it

In all reality this is a bargain for this boat at the current $150 in US warehouse its about as much boat as $164 is gonna get ya after ship costs in the foreseeable future, I had my buddy who's not into boats get one because he wanted one for running by his pontoon... the thread is now made up of a lot of folks who got a proverbial bargain any way you look at it, in sure it will need some fixes and possible reinforcing / glueing down of some components but thats all part of the hobby at any level, this is def a great deal for many getting the toes wet, and I recommend it with all its faults, because of the $$$ it's going for right now has ALOT to do with it.
Last edited by jmscard; Nov 14, 2017 at 06:10 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 12:09 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Some magic looking weapons here Jim.

Good points on the buying & running of the Inception.
I've gone against the grain & am at the moment building up a plastic Volantex Vector 80. I'll even have a go at racing this one if it performs well enough.
It's a strong little boat.
Nov 18, 2017, 06:55 PM
For those who are using pool noodles in the hull - what is your method for securing them in the hull. Are you just shoving them in there or actually securing them with an adhesive or Velcro.
Nov 18, 2017, 08:06 PM
Fast electric boats maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakennin
For those who are using pool noodles in the hull - what is your method for securing them in the hull. Are you just shoving them in there or actually securing them with an adhesive or Velcro.
Me personaly I just cut to fit and wedge them in place , they will stay put for the most part and are easily removed if need be in the future for maintenance
Nov 18, 2017, 08:09 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh50
Hobbyking normally sell the bearing sets for the Inception but they are out of stock @ the moment, however these are pretty standard size ball bearings that are available all over Ebay cheaply. Put in 5 x 8 x 2.5 flanged ball bearings & you will see loads of them, get the ones with the metal shields & not the rubber shields as both are available. You can also get the other plain ball bearings as well from Ebay, just put in 5 x 8 x 2.5 ball bearing. You should have a total of 3 ball bearings on the shaft, that is 1 plain bearing on first then the plastic spacer followed by another 1 plain bearing then 1 flanged bearing ( these 2 bearings are back to back ), then the white ptfe washer followed by the brass drive dog.
By the way, is there any reason I couldn't use sealed bearings at the prop end? Thinking it might help keep the semi salt water that I'll be playing at out, but still have open bearings at the motor end to allow the grease to squeeze out?
Nov 18, 2017, 08:12 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
I just cut them to fit snugly in all my monos. Up in the bow & along the sides where it will fit. No adhesive. Except under the cowl. Most important to attach some to the cowl. Many cowls are at the bottom of the lakes all over the world. Including a couple of mine.

But there is a chance that the pieces along the sides could blow out of the hull in a high speed crash that rips the cowling off. So maybe some velcro on those bits would help.
Nov 18, 2017, 08:29 PM
Fast electric boats maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
By the way, is there any reason I couldn't use sealed bearings at the prop end? Thinking it might help keep the semi salt water that I'll be playing at out, but still have open bearings at the motor end to allow the grease to squeeze out?
If you want to spend the money and get ceramic bearings for your set-up they are more presion and wont wear out as fast and will make the whole drive-line more reliable and possibly increase top speed because of less friction at the bearing, Boca bearing sells a full line of ceramics needed
Last edited by Jeffro Bodine; Nov 18, 2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: More to add

Quick Reply