May 23, 2016, 04:58 AM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
Thread OP
Data

New Motors rcINpower GT2205-2300KV / 2550KV / 2700KV

The 2205 motor market gets yet another contender. This time from a company that has been around for sometime but is not as well known as other brushless motor manufacturers. rcINpower has been making motors for several other labels as I recently found out.

The new "red-top" GT series has a couple of the features that are now becoming standard in top-tier motors: Hollow 4mm motor shaft, cooling vanes in motor bell, several KV motor speeds, NMB bearings, integrated propeller shaft and I'm not sure about which magnets these motors are using.

I was sent three different KV speeds of the GT2205 motors: 2300, 2550, and 2700. I'll be running static thrust test on all and will be posting results here.

First impression is that these motors feel very solid and smooth. True NMB bearings help them spin nicely. Tolerances seem to be very good. The gap between the slightly curved magnets and the stator is very small. That's a desirable parameter in brushless motors as it promotes better performance. It will be interesting to find out exactly which type of magnets are used.

Static thrust tests are only a small aspect of the overall motor performance, however it's quite helpful in showing a motor's capability. Of course, actual flight testing can't be beat for determining how a motor will really perform and how well it withstands all the rigors of multirotor use. It's great to see yet another potentially great motor option for our copters.
Keep in mind these very high static thrust numbers will only be seen on the thrust stand. You will never see these thrust and current (Amp) numbers in-flight. 25% to 35% FEWER Amps and the corresponding thrust figures are usually what you see as Max when motor and propellers are not static but moving through the air. Propellers unload as the motor is not restrained. You can see a quick and simple test/explanation here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post33285135
Static thrust results on these tests are still quite useful once you factor in the "unloading" effect you can more or less figure out if your ESC's won't get overloaded. Also you can compare performance between setups and propeller efficiency.

Available here:
http://www.surveilzone.com/RCINPOWER...Edition-g-1522

I'll be updating this thread as soon as I finish organizing the data for the 2550KV and 2700KV motors in the coming days.

*Amps are very similar to the other 2205 motors in my test. Don't be alarmed by the "high" numbers. They're reported from instant peak output. I feel it's an OK metric to use now with the advent of HV LiPos it's OK to consider it. On the other hand, we never actually get to enjoy such amazing thrust since when motors and props are moving through the air propellers unload and drawn Amperage is considerably less as shown on my quick test above mentioned.
https://youtu.be/kP39w41q08Y?t=2m11s
EMAX RS2205 -HQ6045 1502g @40.6A
DYS SE2205 -HQ6045 1510g @43.9A
rcINp GT2205 -HQ6045 1580g @44.2

Check QuadMcFly's review on this motor, he does great work : http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/rci...05-2300kv.html

*Thrust stand current sensor may be reading a bit high. I've asked RCG member "The Recursion" to run a motor test on his (which he graciously did already- thanks!) so I could also run it on mine and compare numbers. I'll update if there's a correction needed in Amp readings. g-Force numbers are O.K.

Update: Ran a current sensor check using an EMAX RS motor..... Amp readings were within 1.5A compared to my PowerMeter and very close to someone else's RCBM thrust stand: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post34849746

Nice looking Red Tops

Hardware includes both steel and aluminum (red) nylocks, washer and allen M3x6 screws. Winding is neat and overall motor build looks solid.

Weight is comparable to other 2205 powerhouses (wire cut to 5.0cm)

Looks similar to EMAX's cooling vanes. Motors have authentic NMB bearings.
4mm diameter hollow motor shaft certainly looks strong. Magnets are curved, promoting a smaller gap between them and stator. That is good for better performance. Also note the balancing epoxy and the thick bell. Hopefully these motors are strong and survive crashes well.
Last edited by EngineerX; May 31, 2016 at 12:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2016, 04:59 AM
Thread OP

GT2205-2300KV Static Thrust Tests

Static Thrust Tests: rcINpower GT2205-2300KV (1 min 54 sec)

KV check
rcINpower GT2205-2300 KV check and 3 sec full throttler run (2 min 7 sec)
Last edited by EngineerX; May 29, 2016 at 03:02 AM.
May 23, 2016, 05:00 AM
Thread OP

GT2205-2550KV Static Thrust Tests

These motors continue to impress, they true thrust monsters. The 2550KV are probably best suited for 4 inch props and some of the "lighter" 5 inch props like the 5040, 5040x3, and perhaps even the GF5045BN. Only flight tests would tell if those are a good match.
New Motor rcINpower GT2205-2550KV Static Thrust Tests (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by EngineerX; May 31, 2016 at 04:09 AM.
May 23, 2016, 05:00 AM
Thread OP

GT2205-2700KV Static Thrust Tests

New Brushless Motor rcINpower GT2205-2700KV Static Thrust Tests (1 min 31 sec)
Last edited by EngineerX; Jun 08, 2016 at 03:20 AM.
May 23, 2016, 09:18 AM
Heli addict -> Quads
Uh, that 2300kv is producing some insane numbers for its KV rating. You sure its not the 2550 lol
May 23, 2016, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick779
Uh, that 2300kv is producing some insane numbers for its KV rating. You sure its not the 2550 lol
It's labeled 2300KV. I may do a KV check test next.
May 23, 2016, 04:09 PM
Can't wait to see the 2550kv results!
May 23, 2016, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseofva
Can't wait to see the 2550kv results!
Coming next! Already ran all tests, just need to do the fancy table and videos
May 26, 2016, 09:20 PM
It's good to be geek!
Man, demz iz sum SEXY motors!!!
May 27, 2016, 05:51 AM
Heli addict -> Quads
Just looking at the design of these motors, I dont really see how theyre getting this "active cooling" effect. The top of the motor bell doesnt have any sort of impeller, the angles are identical on both sides.
May 27, 2016, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick779
Just looking at the design of these motors, I dont really see how theyre getting this "active cooling" effect. The top of the motor bell doesnt have any sort of impeller, the angles are identical on both sides.
Then you mightnot familiar with similar methods of heat management used in vehicle discbrake rotors . Straight vanes do the job OK, curved or fancier vane design of course is better. Anyway, without analyzing vane design in brushless motors thru CFD analysis we're just doing guesswork. Here's some straight vane application in discbrake rotors. You don't need a typical "impeller" shape to move air. Yes, it'll be more effective but straight vanes also work.

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/rotor_vane_design.asp

Last edited by EngineerX; May 27, 2016 at 01:26 PM.
May 27, 2016, 01:29 PM
Heli addict -> Quads
Apparently not. Look at Quadmcfly's review.

I know how brake rotors work, I didnt apply the same thought process to a motor with a completely different design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX
Then you're not familiar with similar methods of heat management used in vehicle discbrake rotors. Straight vanes do the job OK, curved or fancier vane design of course is better. Anyway, without analyzing vane design in brushless motors thru CFD analysis we're just doing guesswork. Here's some straight vane application in discbrake rotors. You don't need a typical "impeller" shape to move air. Yes, it'll be more effective but straight vanes also work.

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/rotor_vane_design.asp

Last edited by nick779; May 27, 2016 at 01:34 PM.
May 29, 2016, 02:34 AM
Thread OP
Check QuadMcFly's review on this motor, he does great work : http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/rci...05-2300kv.html

There's been some disbelief about the motor I tested being the correct KV. Well, unless I was sleep-testing motors I may have gotten the motors mixed up.
Here's a KV check test and I also ran it for 3 seconds at full throttle. Of course thrust output will drop due to various factors:

*Motor windings heat up and may even reach saturation point where heat is no longer transferred out to the atmosphere. We all know what happens when wires get hot!
*LiPo voltage continues to sag. I really don't want to burn a perfectly good motor so I keep full throttle runs short. The optimal setup would be a nice power supply, someday perhaps I'll get one.
*I've been using Max Peak numbers since I started doing tests so I just got used to using those numbers.

rcINpower GT2205-2300 KV check and 3 sec full throttler run (2 min 7 sec)
Jun 08, 2016, 03:21 AM
Thread OP
2550KV & 2700KV thrust test results posted!
Jun 15, 2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks EngineerX! These motors look like they're putting of really high numbers on 4" @ 4s. Tempting, although I think I want something a bit more efficient.

Quick Reply