Feb 01, 2002, 11:00 PM
Thread OP

Mega/Phasor or Kontronic/Hacker Whats the difference?

Whats the difference in these motors? Why are the Mega & Phasor brushless motors so much cheaper? What do you lose?

I was thinking of using a Mega 22/30/4 or Phasor 30/4 for the Logo 10. What would be the performance & flight time difference vs the Kontronic FUN 600-15?

Also, are the Phasor controllers any less capable than a Kontronic if you don't use the BEC?

THANKS!!!!

Chad
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2002, 07:52 AM
I've heard that the Jeti ESCs don't have a smooth throttle and are therefore not suited to helis. This is from the man who sold me the Mega motor but didn't want me to buy his Jeti ESC's on the grounds that they weren't suitable. He suggested I buy a Shulze or a Kontroniks instead.
However, it's possible that Jeti will re-design/re-program their ESCs to be smoother and then they will be suitable for Helis.

Some of the Jeti Phasor motors are made by Mega but they are not Kevlar wrapped and so cannot rev as high as the Mega.

My Mega motor came from:

http://aircraftjapan.com/

They aren't fully set up yet but the e-mail works .
shop@aircraftjapan.com

Andrew
Feb 02, 2002, 09:38 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Not sure about the Mega's, but you are not supposed to gear the Jetis at all. They are supposed to be a good torque motor, which would suit a heli just fine.

For an ESC, use on with a Heli-gov program in it. it is worth the extra few $.
Feb 02, 2002, 09:52 PM

Re: Mega/Phasor or Kontronic/Hacker Whats the difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-IT
Whats the difference in these motors? Why are the Mega & Phasor brushless motors so much cheaper? What do you lose?

I was thinking of using a Mega 22/30/4 or Phasor 30/4 for the Logo 10. What would be the performance & flight time difference vs the Kontronic FUN 600-15?

Also, are the Phasor controllers any less capable than a Kontronic if you don't use the BEC?

THANKS!!!!

Chad
Jeti controllers are much less capable than the Kontronik, the Jeti does not have governor mode.

As for the motors, Jeti and Mega have a stack of laminated steel plates to form the stator with wire wound through this stack - sort of like a conventional brush motor except the stator is fixed to the case not the shaft. The Kontronik and Hacker motors do not have that steel to form the wire, it is a basket of wound copper wires attached to the inside of the case. Due to the different construction methods the Jeti's and Mega's cog and the Kontronik / Hackers do not. There is a difference in labor cost to the different techniques I'd Imagine. Plus, one is built in Germany and one on the other side of the old iron curtain.

On paper there isn't much difference between the two. I suspect the Kontronik should be a little better but I don't own EVERY motor - just a lot . If you ask the question "is X motor OK for Y heli" we can answer that, if you want a comparison between 2 different motors then you need to have experience with both which is not too likely.

PS there is no Phasor 30/4 there is a 30/3. I strongly recommend the Mega's over Jeti's due to the kevlar wrapping and cooling cutouts. Heli's fly a long time and tend to get hot. The cooling slots and kevlar are important features.
Feb 02, 2002, 10:02 PM
BEC
BEC
There is no reason not to gear the Jetis as long as you keep the shaft speeds within the stated limits (15KRPM for the 30-3 and 45-3), 20KRPM for the 15s. I am flying a 15-3 reduced 3.6:1 in my LT-25 now.

The Megas are similar, but do have the kevlar wrapped rotors which remove the RPM restriction.

The earliest Jeti controllers were a bit uneven. The gold-label current versions are much smoother. They are working on a helicopter controller now, though it may be sold under the Hacker label.

My sources say the Phasors are not made by Mega, but didn't name who did make them. There certainly is quite a physical similarity.

There is no Phasor 30-4, just a 30-3. Mega has several winds in each frame size.

The Jeti controllers don't have the various modes that Kontronik controllers have (assuming they are similar to the Star series of brushed controllers).

As for which Phasor or Mega performs similarly to the Kontronik Fun 600-15 - one of us would need to spend some time comparing constants and/or running one of the *calc programs to sort that out. There's nothing (that I know of, not having had a Kontronik motor yet) intrinsically better about one over the other.
Latest blog entry: Back to full capacity
Feb 02, 2002, 11:41 PM
Thread OP

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Thanks alot!!! Sounds like the construction of the Kontronic is better. I'm not sure what "cog"ing is, but I suspect you mean the motor doesn't rotate smoothly... it "clicks" from one point to the next??

Given that it's only an extra few bucks for the better motor/controller, I'll go with that.

Now I just have to decide Kontronic 600-15/40-6-18 or BL50-15L/Future 45HO........ for the Logo 10.

......guess I'll know as soon as Fitz gets back to me with the prices.
Feb 02, 2002, 11:54 PM
BEC
BEC
Chris must have posted the same time as I did. I didn't notice this was the Heli forum at first (sorry) - got here from the "hot topics" bit on the front page of the Ezone.

Chris' post makes some very good points - for a heli application cooling is a bigger deal (based on what I read here - helis haven't made there way into my fleet yet).

And the discussion about the construction of the motors was enlightening, too. I'd wondered how the heck they made a completely cog-free motor as Hacker has done (and also MaxCim). As I said, I've not tried a Kontronik yet.... workin' on that.
Latest blog entry: Back to full capacity

Quick Reply