Aug 23, 2004, 07:39 AM
Thread OP

Shockflyer Radial Mount Question?

I'm ready to install my Engine (AXI 2008/34) , Radial Mount (hobby-lobby) and the wood plate. I have some doubts on how back should I glue the wood mount, all the way back to the foam? If I do that I have to cut through the foam for the small cylinder of the motor.
Second question: i try to fit the motor, mount, and wood plate in the plane and I noticed that i cant fit the whole assembly because the plane (foam) is in the middle of the way (cables touch the plane)
Is this common?
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Alex
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2004, 07:58 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
Hi, Alex, I think you'd find this site particulary helpful:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer-brushless.htm

I did it that way, and I've had no problems. Just make sure you glue it in striaght or with a little bit of right and down thrust. I had to reglue mine after a noseplant, the mount was fine but I have 2-3 degrees of right thrust now.

Good luck!
Aug 23, 2004, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for your reply!
That;s hows exactly im doing mine!
But those instructions doesn't tell you what to do with the small cylinder of the motor? What about the motor cables that touches the planes? Should I cut the foam for allowed them to fit?

Alex
Aug 23, 2004, 09:34 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
FYI: This method did not last long on my plane. The minute I caught the prop on the ground, the foam folded. Can I suggest that you double the foam behind the ply plate by gluing some 3mmdepron to one side of each of the 4 sides. Making it 6mm thick as far back as you feel comfortable.

kirby
Aug 23, 2004, 10:31 AM
RB
RB
Alex,
Hobby Blobby doesn't mention that you have to relieve the foam for the cyl on the back of the motor and cut a little relief for the wires. Make sure you cut the relief on the side where you want the speed control to go. I made my mount out of 1/16 ply and added two 1/16 ply doublers to the fuse. One on the horizontal and one vertical. I added the triangular balsa on the sides that didn't get the ply. See pics.

You might want to move the motor back an additional 1/2" to help with the CG. I can't get my CG back as far as some people say works good.

Have fun.

RB
Aug 23, 2004, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for your answer!
I think Il do some wood reinforcement too!

RB: What kind of Screws do you use for the Mount to the Firewall? Looks great!

Thanks,
Alex
Aug 23, 2004, 08:10 PM
Hobby-Lobby got the shockflyers in stock today! Can't wait to get my hands on mine, should be here anytime, but of course the Axi's are still not in stock, hopefully they show up this week.

Now I got to go order all the radio equipment.
Aug 23, 2004, 08:43 PM
RB
RB
3mm x 10mm allen head bolts, washers under the bolt head and nut, 3mm nylock nuts. On my fuselage reinforcements you can see where I had to relieve them for the cyl on the back of the motor. You can also see the cutout for the wires.

RB
Aug 24, 2004, 07:13 AM
Thread OP
Hi!
Shortman: Check with parkflyermotors.com for the AXi.thats where I bought it from after waiting for about a month for hobby-lobby!

RB: Last night I glue the Firewall... and make the cutouts for the motor cables and for the cyl! Reinforcements tonight!

one other thing: What kind of connectors do I need for the Motor to ESC (3 pins or 2 Pins) and from the ESC to the Battery. I already have the pigtails, all I need is the main connector for the soldering
Motor: AXI 2208/34
Batt: Kokam 700 3C
ESC: Castle Creations 10amps

Thanks
Alex
Last edited by alex24; Aug 24, 2004 at 07:17 AM.
Aug 24, 2004, 07:39 AM
RB
RB
Most people are using JST connectors to hook the batt to the ESC. For hooking the ESC to the motor you can use the 3.5mm gold bullet connectors or just solder the wires together after figureing out the color matching to get the motor to rotate the correct direction. Didn't the motor come with the 3.5mm connectors ??

Your 700 Kokam will not work for the AXI. 3C is 3 X .7 = 2.1 amps max. You need at least 6 amp capability and I mostly use the Irate 830 and 1100's which are 10C, 8.3a and 11a.

I will take some more pics of my motor mount reinforcements .

RB
Aug 24, 2004, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Nope my motor didn't came with connectors. Should they?

i thought the 700kokam would work great with that motor, im gonna try it and see what happens! Im gonna some of those connector, they are cheap, so I dont have too much to loose!
RB Check this link and let me know:
http://www.parkflyermotors.com/secur...y.asp?catid=24

Alex
Aug 24, 2004, 08:22 AM
I am sure you ment 3S and not 3C on those Kokams. They should work just fine.

Ulf
Aug 24, 2004, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Oops! 3 Cells

Alex
Aug 24, 2004, 12:53 PM
RB
RB
I looked on the FMA sit and those Kokams are 6C max which is 4.2 amps. A 2208/34 on 3s will pull anywhere from 8 to 16 amps. Mine on 2s with a 10x6 pulls 8amps.

You can use the deans two pin for the batt connector and the deans 3 pin to hook the ESC to the motor. When replacing the original connector on the batt make sure you cut one wire at a time and keep the bare ends from touching.

Here are the rest of the pics of the nose of my shock flyer. Upper lf, lower right, lower left. One of the ply plates absorbs the vertical loads and the other ply plate absorbs the horizontal loads. The triangular stock helps tie the cruciform together.

RB
Last edited by RB; Aug 24, 2004 at 12:57 PM.
Aug 24, 2004, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
RB:
Thanks for the pics.
Il do the reinforcement tonight!
Im kind of confused about the battery! But I let you know when i fly it!

Alex

Quick Reply