May 21, 2016, 05:58 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Contest

2016 SKSS Blue Hen ALES Challenge

Silent Knight Soaring Society (SKSS)
Blue Hen ALES Challenge
September 17th & 18th, 2016

Come join us September 17th & 18th for the third annual Blue Hen ALES Challenge in Newark, Delaware! The contest will be held at the beautiful and immaculately-maintained SKSS flying field in Delaware's White Clay Creek State Park, located less than ten minutes from the center of Newark.

Novice pilots: Novice pilots are welcome and can fly for free! (A Novice pilot is someone who has competed in no more than one previous electric soaring contest.) If you've never competed, bring an electric sailplane and have some fun! If you don't have an altitude limiter, we'll have a spare or two for you to borrow.

Prizes: Trophies will be awarded for 1st through 5th place plus "Best Foamie" each day, and there will be a "Grand Champion" award for the weekend.

Flying: Flight groups will be man-on-man (non-seeded). Launch height and flight time will be at the CD's discretion each day. Unless conditions are extremely bad, we will launch to 150 meters and fly 10 minute rounds. Landing tapes are 5 meters long.

Food: Lunch will be provided both days. A small donation will be requested for each meal.

Camping: Camping will be allowed for a small fee. No open fires or alcohol are permitted in the park. The field has a port-a-potty, but there are no other facilities or hook-ups. (But if you have a really long extension cord, you can charge batteries from the clubhouse.)

Parking: The state park imposes a daily parking fee, which we will collect at registration. Parking is per vehicle, not per visitor, so you can save money by carpooling.

Location: Field lat/long for your GPS is (39.728124,-75.732973).

Lodging: As a college town, Newark has a lot of motels. There is no football game or homecoming scheduled for the contest weekend, so rooms should be available.

Other amenities: Newark suffers from an embarrassment of restaurants and bars. The Deer Park Tavern, Home Grown Cafe, Grain Craft Bar, Iron Hill Brewery, and Klondike Kate's are just a few of the delightful establishments awaiting your patronage. And if the two miles to Newark's Main Street is too far for you to drive, McGlynn's pub is only a mile from the field.

Fee summary:
Contest: $35 for two days, $20 for one day; novices fly free
Camping: $30 per tent or RV for the entire weekend
Parking: $8/day for each out-of-state vehicle, $6 for in-state
Lunch: a small donation is requested
Last edited by leipold; Sep 05, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2016, 06:44 PM
ET
Most excellent. This was a lot of fun last year and very well attended.
May 22, 2016, 06:10 AM
AMA 7224
I'm in. Great contest and good peeps at a very nice site.
Latest blog entry: Phoenix Models 90" J-3
May 22, 2016, 11:07 AM
Thermal Hunter
Always a good one ...See you there !
Aug 02, 2016, 08:47 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!

Bump

There are only six weeks to go before the contest, so I thought I'd bump the thread.

We've got 21 pilots registered so far. That's pretty good, but I want to do better. Anybody who's sandbagging should sign up right now!

To encourage more first-timers to fly in contests, there will be a "Best Foamie" trophy each day. Last year, novice Sean Belardo defeated all challengers to win this coveted award. If you know anybody with a Radian or a Calypso who's never flown in a contest, encourage him (or her!) to come out for a day or for the weekend. And if a novice doesn't even have an altitude limiter, I'll have a spare (or two) on hand to loan out.

-- Walt
Aug 02, 2016, 09:06 PM
I will try and make it this year. I have a spare limiter I could bring as well for anyone to use.
Sep 07, 2016, 09:01 AM
Rick Roberts
Will the field be open for practice on Friday?

Rick
Sep 07, 2016, 12:49 PM
Thermal Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwroberts

Rick

Yes .. we would also Like to roll in with the Camper on Friday
Say around 1 or 2 PM....is that ok ?? Walt or Eric ?
The Gate will be open then ?

Thanks , Jim
Sep 08, 2016, 08:41 AM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwroberts

Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel
Yes .. we would also Like to roll in with the Camper on Friday
Say around 1 or 2 PM....is that ok ?? Walt or Eric ?
The Gate will be open then ?

Thanks , Jim
Yes, gentlemen, the field will be open for practice on Friday. I plan to be there by 11:00, and will make sure the agricultural gate is open for you folks bringing in big campers. If anybody wants/needs to practice earlier than 11:00, just let me know and we'll work something out.

-- Walt
Sep 09, 2016, 06:38 AM
I'm looking forward to being there. These guys put on a great contest.
KC
Sep 10, 2016, 07:54 AM
Rick Roberts
Thanks Walt.

Rick
Sep 12, 2016, 04:02 PM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
See yoose guys there! Bringing a little NH love and hugs down to Delaware!
Wally by Golly
Sep 12, 2016, 11:19 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadasczi
See yoose guys there! Bringing a little NH love and hugs down to Delaware!
Wally by Golly
We're looking forward to seeing you. We don't get a lot of New Englanders down here.

-- Walt
Sep 14, 2016, 06:26 AM
Model Flight Addict
Hmm, seems the ESL website is down. What time do we start on Saturday?

-Ray

Quick Reply