Sep 16, 2018, 07:06 PM
world's slowest builder
Glad to see the SU-27 project still going! It' a great EDF airframe and this is a really good looking rendition. The TU bits look awesome! My dream turboprop build is a E3 Hawkeye.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2019, 03:58 PM
Hi John. Any progress on this beast?
May 09, 2019, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Progress is slow but I’ve been working on the ventral fins and hope to cut wing cores this month. To say that life has got into the way would be an understatement
Jun 15, 2019, 02:03 PM
Thread OP

Wings

Finished cutting wing cores. This is a major milestone for me learning how to cut cores. Back in 2012. I bought a feather cut machine and 3 bows in anticipation of cutting these cores.

My buddy George Maiorana gave me a lesson and we cut some cores for my Tu-95 project. This really helped. Next I set up the feather cut and learned how to time it for a swept back trailing edge. Thatís neat how that machine works. Really not to hard to set up but there is a learning curve and I made plenty of mistakes.

I added guide wires to my templates and covered the edge with aluminum tape to prevent the wire from sticking. That worked good but doesnít last

I blew up a Su drawing and measured the washout. It ended up at 2 degrees so thatís what I went with. More progress to come but itís nice to be able to work in my shop again

John
Jun 15, 2019, 03:34 PM
Nice work!!
Jun 15, 2019, 05:19 PM
Good to see your making progress. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this bird turns out.
Jun 16, 2019, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Eric, I’m really enjoying getting back on the Su.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:10 PM

A little inspiration from the Netherlands.....

Found this vid of a big electric SU-27. I'm inspired! I hope it motivated you to keep going on this one!

su27 jacob rozenburg (3 min 18 sec)
Jul 17, 2019, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
Hi Eric
Been working on Su every day for the past 2 weeks. Been working on sponson boxes, verticals and ventral fins. Thanks the encouragement I can use all of that I can get.
John
Jul 17, 2019, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Hi Eric
Been working on Su every day for the past 2 weeks. Been working on sponson boxes, verticals and ventral fins. Thanks the encouragement I can use all of that I can get.
John
Jul 17, 2019, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Eric
Great video
Thanks
John
Jul 17, 2019, 08:53 PM
Good to hear you're working hard at it. Not enough Su's around for us electric guys.

Cheers.
Jul 18, 2019, 03:02 AM
Following. Hope to see kits in the future. Totally underrepresented model in this hobby.
Jul 20, 2019, 09:22 AM
Thread OP

SU Progress

Here are a couple of progress shots. Getting close to having the port side sponson box and fins designed. The ventral fin is attached with two steel pins that slide into brass tubes glued into the sponson so its removeable. One 4-40 allen bolt is under it and that secures the vertical.

The vertical has the servo arm on facing towards the inside so its not too unsightly and easy to service. Next up is the elevon fairing that covers the control arm. Once this is done I'll start on the other side. I have about 80 hours so far designing this side. The other side should be faster since I take notes and made patterns for everything done on this side.

While the glue was drying I decided to prime the nose cone. Fitting since it was the first fiberglass part I every made and first part created for this plane. I'm not sure on the paint scheme yet so I don't know if this nose cone will remain white of be green.

This is a very complex model to build and make it look right, I'm still struggling with that. Thanks for everyone's support and encouragement.

John
Last edited by Hemi; Jul 20, 2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Add picture

Quick Reply