Jun 12, 2016, 03:50 AM
Hello Hemi,

the SU-27 Flanker looks great, perfect building. I love this russia jet

I have the fiberclassics Su-27UB under construction.

I build myself a semiscale front gear for this jet. It`s a lot of work. The 90 deg rotating gear will not work on this jet. The Russian designed retract geometry to get the tire to tuck into the wheel well.

regards Frank
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2016, 07:17 AM
Thread OP
Air Jon and Frank
I just started setting up the nose gear install. There's a lot to take in consideration getting the angles of the mount set to put the centerline of the tire in the correct spot. My building table has fixtures to position the tip of the nose cone a the 0 station. Every major part is marked off in scale for my plane which is 9.2. This makes it easy and consistent for me to judge if I have the parts in the correct scale location. The mud flap is a must for sure.

My landing gear is designed and manufactured by Matrix Machine Tool Modification a Company. The owner, John and I have been friends for a very long time.

Frank, very nice work on the nose great. I always wanted one of the FC kits of the UB. I'm sure John would be happy to make you a set of gear. His work is fantastic. I sold John my first SU without gear for him to designed a set that were scale and work like the full scale SU gear. He makes them in 1/9 for planes like mine and 1/8 for the Aviation Design kit.

The pivot for the mains are set at 45 degrees instead of 90 like a normal retract. This cause the gear to rotate as its retracted. The Mig 29 is the same way. Also look at the nacelle and you will see a circular cutout for the main tire to clear the edge of the nacelle as it moves into the main well. The attached pic just shows the pivot angle.

I really like your SU Frank keep up the good work. How are you going to power yours? Mines EDF. Feel free to join in there's not too much info out there on the FC kit. Since it's no longer available it's like mine. Good start on the cockpit tub. Cockpits are fun to build.
Jun 12, 2016, 11:48 AM
Hello Hemi,

the Su-27UB will be powered with one new 140N BF-Turbines.

A second FC Su-27UB would like to make fiberglass molds with all the details to build a composite fuselage.

I would like to use High Speed Tape “Al 99,5% Tape, thickness 0,3mm” from http://eurofol-gmbh.de/ for rivets and panel lines.

Regards Frank
Jun 12, 2016, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Frank
Your a lucky guy to have two those kits. My SU has no detail in the molds so for me it's better to detail my fuse the old school way by adding panel lines and access panels during the final priming process. The effort and cost for a one of type plane is a huge factor in deciding to make molds. If your planning on selling then maybe it's worth while. If you want to put that much detail in you might want to start from scratch. I'm going to do a T50 Pak Fa that way after my SU is finished just to see if I can design a complete airframe verses improving someone else's work. Best of luck to you and keep on building.
Thanks
John
Jun 13, 2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks

Step for Step…is a long way

P.S The most details come from a Trumpeter SU-27 Model Airplane Kit 1/32. The mold`s for the radar covering, ventilation fins etc. are ready

Good luck

regards Frank
Jun 13, 2016, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Frank
The trumpeter kit is pretty good to work with. The UB version you have is more accurate than the B model that first released. Those louvers look great.
Jun 17, 2016, 05:40 PM
Thread OP

Nose gear progress

All most finished. Next is the nose gear steering servo mount and linkage. The hydraulic cylinder fairing is solid and supports the rear attachment point well. The fairing will made from aluminum and is 14.5" long. The fairing also serves as a hard point.

Main gear arrived and all I can say is the quality and accuracy of the landing gear Matrix Machine produces are excellent and very scale. Next week will be the start of designing the main mounts.

Its amazing to me how much time I spend thinking about a problem and then simply go down in the shop and make it. The creativity alone has got to be healthy. Maybe the fume, and wood dust not so much.
Jun 17, 2016, 06:59 PM
Pro Hoarder
Wow those are nice...Cost?...as if I should ask..did they do all the CAD work or did you send files
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 17, 2016, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
John at Matrix did all the cad work. Yes there expensive but worth it. He makes a lot of different sets of gear. I've been friends with John for a long time he strives for scale accuracy. Check out his web page
Jun 17, 2016, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi
John at Matrix did all the cad work. Yes there expensive but worth it. He makes a lot of different sets of gear. I've been friends with John for a long time he strives for scale accuracy. Check out his web page
How about a link
Jun 17, 2016, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Sorry about that
http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/
Jun 17, 2016, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
The video on the Matrix Machine site is my first airframe.
Jun 18, 2016, 12:48 AM
world's slowest builder
Gorgeous landing gear!!!!
Jun 22, 2016, 09:35 AM
Thread OP

Main Mount Progress for the week

Here's the progress for the week. Each main mount weights 3.4 ounces. I was going to just use a 1/4 ply plate to attach the retract too but decided to use the 1/2 x 5/8 maple rails and mount them from underneath and reduce to upper plate to 1/8. The rails weighed 2 ounces but with the thinner upper plate the weight gain was just an ounce. The mount is assembled with thin CA and will get a bead of Aeropoxy on all seams before being installed. Tricky to get the angles right so the retract would go into well in the scale location and have the doors close. Next step is to install the main wing spare and main mounts. Both will be sitting on a carbon bed. This mount design is similar to the mount in the first plane which proved successful. In my opinion its stronger and simpler to make.
Jun 22, 2016, 02:36 PM
world's slowest builder
Nice job! I can't think of a better way to do it. I just love those gear.

Quick Reply