Jun 01, 2016, 09:53 PM
world's slowest builder
The pictures are thumbnails...cant really see much.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2016, 04:55 AM
Thread OP

Mig 29 and Original SU 27

Air Jon
Sorry about the thumbnails. Here are a few pics.

The Top Gun Mig was before I added the markings. The FC Mig is still in progress. I also found a shot of the first SU-27 flown at Ejets in 2010. The Mibo A-10 is a version 1 with balsa covered wings and stab. The A-10 weighs 30 lbs and that's just parts.

The F-14 is a 1/10 scale Jet Hangar semi kit that I bought in the 80's after TopGun came out. My friend John owns Matrix Machine. He was building one too and Larry Wolf hooked us up. We've been friend ever since. The F-14 gear are his and so will the Sukhoi. I recently took the F-14 apart. Its been a hangar queen for years. After the Su is finished I'm going to rebuild the F-14

Personally I think both planes could be neat as EDF's. My field is 10 miles from the house. I can fly EDF's there just fine. Its grass but pretty nice. Turbines would be an issue plus since I'm retired hobby money is less.
Jun 02, 2016, 10:19 AM
world's slowest builder
Very nice planes Hemi! The FC Mig-29 is a work of art,.that is my dream plane right there. What a jewel. I fly with Larry's son Chris here in San Diego. I will have Chris look at this thread. Im sure Chris and Larry would love to see the Top Gun F-14 fly again on electric.

Fiber classics became CARF right?
Jun 02, 2016, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliments. Yes FC became CARF.

I would call Larry and ask him questions about the F-14 and so would John. Larry finally just gave use each others numbers so we wouldn't bug him. Funny how things worked out. I gained a lifelong RC friend
Jun 02, 2016, 06:47 PM
world's slowest builder
I told Chris Wolfe about this thread so hopefully he will chime in.

I may have to fly out to Michigan when its time for the FC mig to fly. I do maiden Mig flights for free

Not that you ever will, but If you ever decide to sell The FC Mig, please keep me in mind. I will hapily fly out, visit family in Dearborn, and rent a truck to drive it home.
Jun 02, 2016, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the offer but the Mig is a dream ship for me too. It's not a dream build though it's a pain. I'm open to advice on the SU.
Jun 02, 2016, 07:04 PM
world's slowest builder
sorry, I got so distracted by the Mig and F-15. The SU is looking good, and your engineering of the parts seems to be spot on so far.

Fan/Motor: I think you have the ideal power setup going. It's such a good airframe with all that lifting body and easy to access nacelles. you don't need more than what the JF-110 can deliver with the 780kv on 12S. you should have great flight time and power on cheap 5000-5800 mAh Packs
-Batteries, I would think you can run 2X 12S 5000-6000mAh packs. I'm really liking my Glacier 6S 6000 30C packs. Not too expensive and the "C rating" is an undershoot. they also have a form factor which is a little more narrow and long. You can get these from Buddy RC in Ohio I believe. will deliver in 1-2 days to Michigan. Great quality and service.
-Battery hatch: behind the canopy (will encompass the airbrake area) much like a Yellow F-15, but does not need to be such a big hatch as you have your Fan, access from below.
-ESC 2X CC 120A HV ESCs (heat sink version) near the battery packs, all you will need is a little ventilation, which the packs need anyway.
-Intake/Exhaust: Full molded intake and mylar exhaust. Definitely need some cool LED afterburner rings.

That's al I can think of...lots of ways to do it, but I think this combo would be very successful.
Last edited by Air-Jon; Jun 02, 2016 at 07:18 PM.
Jun 02, 2016, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
No problem, I'm taking my time and having fun. Take care
John
Jun 03, 2016, 05:23 PM
Thread OP

Elevons

Air Jon
Great advice I laid out the speed brake this morning and I'm going to access the battery area through the speed brake. Monday I'll start cutting cores.
Jun 09, 2016, 08:36 PM
Thread OP

Elevon progress

I built the first elevon. I used a Naca007 airfoil. Compufoil is a pretty neat program. The pivot is 3/8" aluminum in an Oillite bushing. The other side has been framed and almost ready to skin. The pivot is located in the scale location. I like to static balance even though it's probably not needed. It took 1 ounce and the whole thing with the pin installed is 3.6 ounces.
The nose gear arrived today I'll start the install tomorrow and will post pictures
Jun 09, 2016, 09:11 PM
world's slowest builder
Very nice..beautiful work once again! Now your stabs wont go all droopy when you power her down
Jun 10, 2016, 10:11 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice work..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 10, 2016, 11:36 AM
Looking great! Sub'd.
Jun 10, 2016, 12:39 PM
Thread OP

Nose gear

Here is the nose gear. Still fitting both bulkheads. The other elevon is weighted down while the skin sets.
Jun 12, 2016, 12:58 AM
world's slowest builder
Very nice nose gear strut! It just needs the mud flap and its all set.

Quick Reply