May 20, 2016, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

SU 27 Flanker Fans

I'm building an SU that scales at 9.2. Its 93" long and a has a 62" wingspan.
The fuse is glass and the wings and control surfaces are balsa sheeted foam and glassed.

The first plane I built,I sold to a friend who finished it with DS 94's at 10S and it flew very nicely on those fans. It was clocked at Ejets at about 120 mph. I think it weight about 25 lbs.

Space is at a premium so I've been thinking about either the Jetfan 120 or the 110's. The 110's would be a great fit, but would they be enough. The 120's would also fit good. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks
John
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2016, 03:31 PM
Pro Hoarder
That looks nice..Who makes it? is it your molds?
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 20, 2016, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
Turbonut
Long story!
I own the molds, plugs and tooling. The original project was started but never finished by a company called ETA Jets. When they went out of business DCU bought all of their stuff and the SU was part of it.

I know Mark the owner of DCU and ask him if he knew anyone with an SU kit, he told me about this project and offered to make me a semi kit, fuse, nacelles, canopy and foam cores so I jumped at the chance. Within a month of receiving my semi kit, Mark called and asked if I would like to buy the complete project, molds, templates plugs all the tooling. I thought it would be fun to learn how to do that kind of work and thought that maybe someday I might even kit it so I bought the project.

Marks glass man, Mickey, took the first set of parts. Mark sold a semi kit to someone on the west coast, sure wish I knew who got it and mine was number 3. I sold the airframe to a friend who finished . I got to see its first flight in 2010. It flew great so all the hard work paid off.

I'm now retired and have more time so last summer I pulled my first time ever set of glass parts from the molds. The parts turned out pretty good for a beginner. Lessons learned when your laying up a big fuse it would be better to have a helper. I let the parts sit and cure until a month ago. I've been making improvements along the way. Its challenging work and I enjoy it.

Thanks
John
May 20, 2016, 05:27 PM
Pro Hoarder
Outstanding...I have a friend that worked for Mark for a time. Robert....He may know who got it. What year? Do you plan to sell any parts ? if so any idea of price?
May 20, 2016, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
I'm guessing around 2005. It would be great to track down #2. I asked Mark back in the day but he was unsure at the time.
I currently don't have any plans to sell them. The tooling is OK but not great. I know it took me about two weeks to layup all the glass parts.
May 23, 2016, 05:03 AM
2019 EDF Jet Jam June 13-16
I remember seeing it fly at EJets. Good luck with your new one.
May 23, 2016, 06:38 PM
Thread OP
Robert
Thanks hope you have a great summer
John
May 24, 2016, 11:03 AM
wow.............that is nice
May 24, 2016, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Thanks I'm enjoying the build process. Working on elevon pivot design right now.
Last edited by Hemi; May 24, 2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Add photo
May 27, 2016, 10:04 PM
world's slowest builder
Really nice! Great job on the fuselage. I would pick the lightest smallest fan that would do the job. Probably the JF-110. With the 700-98-780kv. What was the flying weight of the one that has flown? I would think about 30lbs. That fan motor combo should get you 30lbs thrust combined.
May 28, 2016, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
The first plane weighed about 25 Lbs and flew nice on DS 94's. I went with the Jetfan 110. The size seems to be perfect since space is tight in that area.
Once I have the landing gear laid out I'll build the fan mounts. At this point none of the bulkheads are glued in so I can still make mods if need be.
The picture on the left is with Dynamax fans and its clear things are tight. The Jetfans really fit better in this air-frame. The picture on the right shows the cut line to fit a Dynamax shroud. Not much meat leaf and definitely heavier by a lot
May 28, 2016, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Making progress on the elevons. The sponson box gets epoxied to the side of the fuse. The top, bottom and side are then skinned with balsa and sanded to the correct contour for the fuse. Once thats done the assemble gets glassed in. The vericals and ventrals mount on the sponson box and will be removable. The servo mount is close but not quite complete
May 28, 2016, 12:54 PM
Pro Hoarder
Super nice work!...Your are correct that those fans look like the ideal fit
May 28, 2016, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I enjoy the building process and the challenges of design work. There are aspects of this SU that are pretty neat idea's but never flushed out by ETA when they did the initial design work. I like the removable lower center hatch and nacelles for service but the only drawback is how do you make all that fit flush and cleanly. I know they had a lot of work to do considering that the center hatch plug would not even fit into the fuselage plug. It does now!

When I bought the project in 1999 no one had actually built one so no internal structure was ever designed. I was able to reverse engineer the bulkheads by using the molds to make patterns at the key locations. The upper fuse mold actually makes a great holding fixture when your fitting bulkheads into the fuse. Keeps the glass fuse nice and straight.

Been thinking about doing a build thread even though this is a one of type of plane. I'm a slow builder and I'm not sure if anyone would actually be interested in the project. That's the plug and molds. The fuse is still in the upper mold, I had just successfully separated the two piece lower mold.

I also included a shot of the first plane that flew at Ejets in 2010. The canopy needs a lot of work I'll fix all that on this plane

John
May 28, 2016, 08:53 PM
I love the SU27, ive been looking for a big one for awhile. I'll keep my eye on this thread

Quick Reply