View Poll Results: Which side of the Velcro goes on YOUR batteries?
I agree with Lee - The loop side goes on the battery. 83 79.05%
Lee is crazy - Sane people put the hook side on their batteries. 22 20.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

May 20, 2016, 11:52 AM
A podcast about RC modeling
Thread OP
Poll

Velcro - Which side goes where?

While recording our latest podcast episode, Fitz, Lee, and Terry became involved in a vigorous argument over Velcro. They debated the relative merits of having the hook side on the battery versus having the loop side there. Lee feels strongly that the majority of flyers use the loop side on their battery. Fitz and Terry disagree. Help settle the bet and tell us how you arrange your Velcro.

5/23/16 Update: The podcast that started this debate is now live at RCRoundtable.com. Come check it out!
Last edited by RC Roundtable; May 23, 2016 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2016, 11:53 AM
Perpetual Noob
Loops on the battery as it is usually more difficult to replace the piece in the battery box.
May 20, 2016, 12:26 PM
Loop on the battery because the hook side is very good at picking up dust/dirt and not letting it go. Hook in the plane stays clean while loop on the battery doesn't grab dirt nearly as bad.
May 20, 2016, 12:38 PM
Interesting question. I've noticed many planes that alread have velcro in place for the battery have the loop part on the plane.
However I just looked at my batteries and I have the loop part on the battery.
Go figure
Don't know why I ended up going that way.
May 20, 2016, 12:55 PM
💩
Is loop the the fuzzy part and hook the rough one? If so, I like loop on the battery. I tried hook on the battery once and it picked up grass and hair and stuck to my clothes and the carpet and nearly any other fabric it touched lol
May 20, 2016, 01:07 PM
DFS#000178
Fuzzy on the battery, rough in the plane.

That's how I've always done it anyway.
May 20, 2016, 01:21 PM
Fuzzy side on battery. Not for any particular reason, it just feels nicer to hold lol.
May 20, 2016, 01:24 PM
Stickey side toward the airplane or the battery, Hook and or loop (woolly) side towards each other. I find it best to always put the hook or loop on the plane or battery the same way on all my planes and batteries. Otherwise you will end up with planes velcroed to planes or batts velcroed to batts where it is usually most desirable to have batteries stick to planes.

D.H. ;-)
May 20, 2016, 01:34 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast

Team Lee vs. Team Terry

"Crazy Lee" here...

I don't think I defended myself well in the podcast recording today (which will be released on Monday). Terry trashed me quite a bit. I have found many RC threads that express my similar thought where MOST pilots attach the LOOP (soft) side to batteries and attach HOOK (rough) on the aircraft. I adapted this method when I began flying electrics (10+ years ago) and have never switched.

Another question to ask everyone: On the last RTF/BNF aircraft you purchased, which Velcro side did the manufacturer place on the battery? Hook or loop?

I look forward to the intense discussion that will soon follow in this thread!
May 20, 2016, 01:42 PM
Fully Sending It
Loop/fuzzy on the battery, hook/rough on the airplane.
Latest blog entry: My relationship with Hitec
May 20, 2016, 01:47 PM
My HH PZ Sport Cub S2 (red one) came with hook inside the aircraft.
May 20, 2016, 01:48 PM
Never too old to learn
I myself find it easier to attach the loop side in the plane. I use the sticky backed type and CA the strip in the plane .
I use the hook side on the battery.
The hold down strap is double sided meaning one side is hook the other side loop.
I place a small piece on the frame of the plane to keep the strap out of the way when inserting the battery.

Tom
May 20, 2016, 01:48 PM
Going back to balsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Loop/fuzzy on the battery, hook/rough on the airplane.
Same here.
May 20, 2016, 01:57 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by eojcr
My HH PZ Sport Cub S2 (red one) came with hook inside the aircraft.
YES!!!

Thanks for the information. I 'thought' my Parkzone T-28 came with velcro attached but it appears it came with only a 'strap'; no velcro on battery.
May 20, 2016, 01:58 PM
Personal preference (doesn't matter)
Works the same either way.

Quick Reply